7+ Year Old Account

Do you have low fps when turing on Advanced Combat Log?

I have a very low fps turing on ACL? Any solutions?

Turn off ACL

It means your CPU can't handle the additional load.

It could be the additional load on the disk drive slowing you down.
    Check if maybe WoWCombatLog.txt has gotten too big from multiple raid logs (delete it if so), or maybe you have other programs running in the background and using the disk drive.

Deleted
    The CPU load is marginal. Your Drive is either slow or defective. Also check the whole chain of the disk writes, it might be a defective controller.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    The CPU load is marginal. Your Drive is either slow or defective. Also check the whole chain of the disk writes, it might be a defective controller.
    The CPU load it causes it is far from marginal, and has been discussed before on Blizzards website.

It happens to me and I'm 99% sure it's due to my old hard drive. My CPU is fast, the rest of my computer is fast, it's just the disk writing speed that makes ACL nearly impossible aside from smaller raid groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Sxq View Post
    It happens to me and I'm 99% sure it's due to my old hard drive. My CPU is fast, the rest of my computer is fast, it's just the disk writing speed that makes ACL nearly impossible aside from smaller raid groups.
    Very possible. Several factors are at play. Increased CPU usage, increased writing to the hard drive, and more data being sent between server and client.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    The CPU load it causes it is far from marginal, and has been discussed before on Blizzards website.

Then it was wrongly discussed. Anyone with rudimentary knowledge in programming knows that logging some more text is nothing compared to the rest of the game. Just increasing one single setting of UI settings from fair to medium is probably hundreds of times higher load.

15+ Year Old Account
    Then it was wrongly discussed. Anyone with rudimentary knowledge in programming knows that logging some more text is nothing compared to the rest of the game. Just increasing one single setting of UI settings from fair to medium is probably hundreds of times higher load.
    It causes additional network lag which in turn lowers your FPS because your client isn't receiving data as fast. Also the CPU has to process the incoming data from the network interface which is imported into the game and then written to a file. A big file I might add.

As my raid groups get closer to 20 my FPS drops. If I turn off ACL it goes back to normal but I don't have that luxury since I'm the logger. That being said I'm still over 60 fps in raids.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    lowers your FPS because your client isn't receiving data as fast

That never happens in wow. Ruin your internet connection on purpose and see if it lags on FPS (before the disconnect). If anything it makes it faster sometimes since it has less stuff to draw.

It does more than just log text. It greatly increases what is logged, and then has to communicate all this additional information to the server.

Deleted
    it has to communicate all this additional information to the server.

It doesn't have to communicate anything. The server knows the log before you even know it.

Deleted
    It doesn't have to communicate anything. The server knows the log before you even know it.
    I think he means from the server and he would be correct if so.

Your NIC gets an increased load of data from the additionals doing stuff that isn't even reflected on-screen, has to be processed and whatnot.

This in turn whether or not, irregardless of being necessary to be drawn on the screen or not, reduces your total framerate because the processor thread(s) are scheduled on additional tasks and held up just that tad bit longer.

And as we all know, the game is processor heavy.

On my rig, it has basically no effect because I have little bottlenecks but on any system that gets them from anywhere really, starts having fps drops, dips, spikes and whatnot.

PS. FPS Lag that is caused by lack of bandwitdh and whatnot are probably issues that are more related to the driver(version)/chipset. But it doesn't exclude other problems either. PCI bus latency timer settings maybe for an example. These are things that people have to test themselves if they are a problem or not though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    I think he means from the server and he would be correct if so.

It's pretty clear he thinks the client is processing logs that have to be send to the server. That a fundamental misunderstanding of how online multiplayer games work. Predominately because of security reasons (cheating) it's absolutely unacceptable to give information to the server that isn't restricted to your actions/commands and your actions/commands only.

- - - Updated - - -

Your NIC gets an increased load of data

That doesn't seem to be much either.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. FPS Lag that is caused by lack of bandwitdh

I've never seen that happen.

In MoP on the same system it would give me issues sometimes. In WoD so far nothing that I could notice. I am however one of those unlucky bastards that had Hans/Franz fps drop to 4 to 8 after the 6.2 patch trying every single combo of tricks to fix it and it is just shit each time. I hope that doesn't happen again.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The player's PC is receiving a hell of a lot more data with logging enabled that has to be processed. The issue the OP speaks of has been discussed a lot on the official forums, as well as on other forums, such as Warcraftlogs. You can sit here and argue all about it all you want, but it is a known issue for many players.

Deleted
    You can sit here and argue all about it all you want, but [..]

[..] but find the real reasons because it's not that it processes logs that it sends back to server. That's not the reason.