Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Truth? Laughing at over 200 civilians losing their lives to a potential terrorist attack is funny to you? Your fucking sick in the head mate if you dont think there is something wrong with these people
    They aren't laughing at 200 people losing their lives. They're laughing at a well structured joke. There's a very important distinction to be made there.

15+ Year Old Account
    My personal view is that it is too soon but I still find it funny, it is too soon out of respect for the victims.
    But and its a big but, they shoulnd not care about that. Infringing cos of hurt feelings is a no go.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Truth? Laughing at over 200 civilians losing their lives to a potential terrorist attack is funny to you? Your fucking sick in the head mate if you dont think there is something wrong with these people
    A joke can be funny about anything, this one is actually decent. It's dark, yes, but honestly the truth is the people below Sinai likely felt similar to if it were a bombing.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont have sympathy for them, mock others deaths and you dont deserve respect for your own. Tbh I dont think that the picture of mohammed illicited such a response but if you go around being a cunt to people, expect someone to retaliate, its not whether I condone the attacks or not (I dont) its just a matter of these guys reaping what they sow
    And that makes you just as bad as they are, if not worse. You're mad at them for being insensitive to death while being insensitive to their deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Pretty funny actually. People just don't like it when it's their turn to be on the butt end of a joke.
    That said, I can understand some of Russia's point. Imagine if a similar cartoon was made about 9/11 within a few months of the event?

It has yet to be anything ban worthy though.
    I pity anyone who laughs at this shit, whether its mocking any race or people over a national tragedy is disgusting. Im guessing people who are laughing wouldnt find it so funny if it mocked a tragedy in their home country

10+ Year Old Account
    All life lost is a tragedy and shouldnt be subject to jokes...even less to make some money off of it. Wonder how they would feel if someone made a "satirical" comic about them getting shot down in their office....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Make the entire world one big raid. Everyone huddles in cities until they can find 19 other adventurers to group with. Then they gradually trash pull their way through the zone

Luke Skywalker was an angry young male from the desert, who was indoctrinated by a religious fringe member, and joined a terror plot to blow up a major military installation. Luke is a 9/11 pilot...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    A joke can be funny about anything, this one is actually decent. It's dark, yes, but honestly the truth is the people below Sinai likely felt similar to if it were a bombing.
    If you got Nextflix and havent watched Anthony Jeselnik - Thoughts and Prayers. WATCH IT, you will love it.
    However it make Charlie Hebdo degree of dark humor in these strips look like sunshine so consider yourself warned
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    i was not laughing i was stating that russia made themselves a target by intervention and this is a direct consequence of it

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair I was laughing at the guns enjoying the freedom of speech at their office. The irony was delicious.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathnick View Post
    All life lost is a tragedy and shouldnt be subject to jokes...even less to make some money off of it. Wonder how they would feel if someone made a "satirical" comic about them getting shot down in their office....
    Putting a smile on millions or billions of peoples faces vs the (and I can totally understand it) hurt feelings of a few.
    Well I will never promote the latter.

Either everything is ok in Comedy, or nothing is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    If you got Nextflix and havent watched Anthony Jeselnik - Thoughts and Prayers. WATCH IT, you will love it.
    However it make Charlie Hebdo degree of dark humor in these strips look like sunshine so consider yourself warned
    +1 this. I had to turn it off at 20 mins because I had a headache from laughing.

I actually laughed, i think it's pretty funny.

meh I find the joke to be an easy pot shot and nothing else. which Is Hebdo's MO so that shouldn't surprise anyone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Either everything is ok in Comedy, or nothing is.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 this. I had to turn it off at 20 mins because I had a headache from laughing.
    Haha he is awesome especially since he stopped smiling during telling jokes like before but keep an iron mask face

Pretty tasteless comic. Thanks for the link from a source that isn't that paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Pretty funny actually. People just don't like it when it's their turn to be on the butt end of a joke.
    That said, I can understand some of Russia's point. Imagine if a similar cartoon was made about 9/11 within a few months of the event?

It has yet to be anything ban worthy though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor_...ber_11_attacks
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Tastless and disgusting in my opinion.

Though i disagree with Dimitry Peskov's statement that ''This has nothing to do with democracy or self-expression'' (BBC claims he said this). This is exactly what democracy and self-expression is all about. Charlie Hebdo is well within their rights to publish these images, regardless of the situation.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathnick View Post
    Didn't they, themselves, already make one? I guess it'd be hard for you to see, all the way up there on your horse.

Yet people sympathized with Charlie Hebdo when their offices got shot up. Tell me again why did the French police bother to stop the vigiliante getting rid of them? They could have saved the world a lot of anguish later on.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Yet people sympathized with Charlie Hebdo when their offices got shot up. Tell me again why did the French police bother to stop the vigiliante getting rid of them? They could have saved the world a lot of anguish later on.
    Saying people are shitty for posting a cartoon is different then running in there and killing people.

I pity anyone who laughs at this shit, whether its mocking any race or people over a national tragedy is disgusting. Im guessing people who are laughing wouldnt find it so funny if it mocked a tragedy in their home country
    They may very well find it funny. Because they aren't laughing at the tragedy. They are laughing at the joke.

If we were laughing at the tragedy, it wouldn't need to be structured as a joke in the first place. Someone would say "200 people died in a plane bombing" and then we'd laugh. But that's not what's happening. A cleverly structured joke is what is eliciting a comedic response.

Let's say the situation was as follows:
    There's a well known drone that regularly does bombing runs in a test field. One day, it malfunctions and blows up. "I guess it intensified its bombardments!" (because it blew up, thus acting as a bombardment itself)
    Now at this point I've deconstructed the joke, so of course the initial humoristic response it would usually cause is gone. But you get the joke, right? You understand why that may be funny?

Because of the subject matter in the actually joke, some people might find it to be in poor taste. But nobody is laughing at the tragedy, at the dead people.

Another important point to make is that humans don't have the emotional capacity to feel guilty or depressed about every bad thing that they hear about. You don't cry every time a child in Africa dies, even if you're informed that one dies every X minutes. For most people these events are unrelated to them, so it doesn't cause an emotional response. Nor should it.

So get off that ridiculously tall horse of yours and keep your pity to yourself.

I should rephrase that. I realize there's jokes about 9/11. I meant imagine such a joke receiving headlines fresh after the event, and how some people may react to that.
    What I meant is that I can understand Russia's point about some people feeling hurt by it/it being insensitive. Though I disagree with most of the rest of what they said.
    Last edited by Arewn; 2015-11-06 at 07:32 PM.