New Modem/Router help?! Whats best?

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this isnt the right section. I think it might be but if not sorry!. Currently I have a separate modem and router that both were purchased just before the release of Cataclysm so they are pretty old. I have two questions for you:

-Number 1, whats better nowadays? Buying a modem and router separately or buying one of those modem-routers 2 in 1 types?

-Number 2, what should i be looking at in terms of brand. Havent been paying attention to the leading brands since my previous purchases so im pretty out of the loop.

Thanks for any help that can be given!

10+ Year Old Account
    Separated are normally better.

It depends on what you're pretending to connect to it and how many devices are going to be under it's network. Most basic N or AC routers should be solid purchases for most users. Brands are personal preference: TP-Link, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link and Asus are some that you can rely on.

I'd say to buy an Archer C7/8, it's not that expensive and is a great performer. A WDR3600 is extremely cheap and will do the job just fine as well.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-11-07 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Separated are normally better.

It depends on what you're pretending to connect to it and how many devices are going to be under it's network. Most basic N or AC routers should be solid purchases for most users. Brands are personal preference: TP-Link, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link and Asus are some that you can rely on.

I'd say to buy an Archer C7/8, it's not that expensive and is a great performer. A WDR3600 is extremely cheap and will do the job just fine as well.
    Awesome thanks for the reply. Yeah there will probably be about 4-5 phones connected wirelessly at all time along with 2 computer connected via ethernet cable. Ill check those brands and suggested routers out thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    When you say they're "old" what does that mean? Are you having problems? Is there a reason to get a new one?

That kind of hardware isn't like computers where they aren't 'as good' over time unless something changes drastically.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    When you say they're "old" what does that mean? Are you having problems? Is there a reason to get a new one?

That kind of hardware isn't like computers where they aren't 'as good' over time unless something changes drastically.
    I feel as if theyre starting to slow down if thats possible. Games that were able to be played with no lag are beginning to play with delay on odd occasions. and theyre 5-6 years old so I would kind of like to upgrade to be honest hahaha

First of all you should most definitely look at AC routers because you will want to use the 5GHz band.
    Next, about the brand, it depends on your budget.
    If you're on a tight budget you can have a look at TP-Link or Tenda routers.
    If not I would recommend the Netgear Nighthawk. It's one of the fastest routers and can handle with ease all your connected devices (it also works especially well with gaming). If you want check out a review of the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (mbreviews.com/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-r7000-router-review/) to see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisss View Post
    First of all you should most definitely look at AC routers because you will want to use the 5GHz band.
    Next, about the brand, it depends on your budget.
    If you're on a tight budget you can have a look at TP-Link or Tenda routers.
    If not I would recommend the Netgear Nighthawk. It's one of the fastest routers and can handle with ease all your connected devices (it also works especially well with gaming). If you want check out a review of the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (mbreviews.com/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-r7000-router-review/) to see for yourself.
    Insaaaane bump if youre even still here sorry but what modem would you suggest looking at to go along with this? Does modem impact the speed much or is it mainly the router?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvolcos View Post
    Insaaaane bump if youre even still here sorry but what modem would you suggest looking at to go along with this? Does modem impact the speed much or is it mainly the router?
    The modem depends on what kind of connection you're getting from your ISP. If it's a cable modem, and you need to buy yourself, buy a Docsis 3.0 modem and you'll be most likely fine. I think it goes as high as gigabit while Docsis 3.1 can do 10gigabit.