Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tens of thousands march to condemn violence against women

Tens of thousands of people have marched in the Spanish capital Madrid to condemn violence against women.

The rally, organised by feminist groups, was attended by representatives of all the main political parties.

Activists dressed in black lay on the ground to remember hundreds of women murdered over the years in what they described as "sexist terrorism".

They said laws against domestic abuse should be extended to include all violence against women.

One estimate put the number of those who took part in Saturday's march at more than 20,000, the BBC's Tom Burridge in Madrid reports.

Trade unions and non-governmental organisations from across Spain also joined the event. Some participants reportedly flew in from the Balearic and Canary islands.

"I think it's important that people like me demonstrate today, because I'm an example of a woman who's been able to get out of domestic violence," participant Olga Aranza was quoted as saying by the Associated Press television.

"And that means that all abused women can also get out violence and that they deserve a better life. You really can get out," she added.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34756378

Good to see so many condemning such despicable behavior. We should join in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

cant now, reading blizzcon notes, maybe next week? yea, reschedule this for next week, make it for 2pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    cant now, reading blizzcon notes, maybe next week? yea, reschedule this for next week, make it for 2pm.
    Fallout 4 is coming out soon so I'd need at least a month to prepare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    8+ months before legion. All you need to know about Blizzcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooooo just like with cancer how does marching stop domestic violence?

And women killed in "sexist terrorism?" What does that even mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post

There is an election soon and this is making it an issue. This is how a democracy works.

Sexist terrorism.

Hurrah for newspeak.

Nah, I don't think so. This is just propaganda. And the ignorance regarding violence towards men is just blatant.
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

An active political campaign can really affect things. It was literally legal for men to kill their wives in Brazil until the early 90s, where a sadly/hilariously named campaign titled "Lovers Don't Kill" changed things. The marching obviously doesn't directly affect the problem, but if politicians feel its enough of a mob to threaten their political careers, it can spawn legislative change.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is an election soon and this is making it an issue. This is how a democracy works.
    I see. Hence the "They said laws against domestic abuse should be extended to include all violence against women" bit.

Not to sure how domestic violence isn't already a part of "assault and battery" in Spain. Or are they wanting special laws for violence against women.....

Huh, tennisace is actually promoting something worthwhile? I skimmed the info for something ridiculous, but this march looks pretty legit. No modern society should condone or turn a blind eye to domestic violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Huh, tennisace is actually promoting something worthwhile? I skimmed the info for something ridiculous, but this march looks pretty legit. No modern society should condone or turn a blind eye to domestic violence.
    I don't even think it's worthwhile, if it's ignoring half the population. I don't see a reason why not condemn violence against anyone, instead of just women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Saying that women are a special entity of domestic violence victims is also sexist.

Good intent, flawed message.

7+ Year Old Account
    While the general idea might be... "noble", it's a bit excessive.

First off, "domestic abuse" refers to abuse from a spouse or family member. It's not gender-specific, but it is specific to an actual spouse or family. You literally cannot commit domestic violence against someone you don't know.

Secondly, "feminist groups" rallying against "violence against women" is a bit ironic, considering the point of feminism is to acknowledge equality, which, if not applied universally is inherently invalid and by default, such a mindset cedes to the belief that women are weaker.

Also, women are not special and unique snowflakes that need special laws and/or protection. That is actually sexist authoritarianism.

Lastly, the term "sexist terrorism" is enough to dismiss the entire thing. But then hey, it is a Tennisace thread.

oh look a tennisace only women matter thread, looks like another feminazi uprising oh yeh this is about domestic violence, but only when it happens to women.

fuck them and fuck their march.

"They said laws against domestic abuse should be extended to include all violence against women."

so no violence happens to men? no-one cares? just the poor weak innocent helpless women? what a load of biased bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

I see. Hence the "They said laws against domestic abuse should be extended to include all violence against women" bit.

Not to sure how domestic violence isn't already a part of "assault and battery" in Spain. Or are they wanting special laws for violence against women.....
    probably the world is going full retard atm the moment with feminazi's it'll probably a new law like, hit a man, laugh, hit a women 6 months in jail, and people will vote for it lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    oh look a tennisace only women matter thread, looks like another feminazi uprising oh yeh this is about domestic violence, but only when it happens to women.

fuck them and fuck their march.

"They said laws against domestic abuse should be extended to include all violence against women."

so no violence happens to men? no-one cares? just the poor weak innocent helpless women? what a load of biased bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

probably the world is going full retard atm the moment with feminazi's it'll probably a new law like, hit a man, laugh, hit a women 6 months in jail, and people will vote for it lol.
    Hundreds if not thousands of women murdered because of domestic violence and you think they shouldn't march against it? Where is your conscience mate?

Some women are drawn to abusive men, all the blame cant be on the man. If you make bad choices sometimes you need to step up and take responsibility for them.

Now what about violence against men?

I am sure you just do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Some women are drawn to abusive men, all the blame cant be on the man. If you make bad choices sometimes you need to step up and take responsibility for them.
    Didn't even get to page 2, before the first victim blamer shows up.... Can't say I'm surprised tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    What in holy hell is sexist terrorism? Lol. Man, these convoluted buzz words are hi-larious.

But no thanks, the world is cruel, people die everyday (even men, who would've thunk it), but Fallout 4 comes out next week so... =\.