Win 10 dual monitor issue

Win 10 Pro
    i5-3570k(stock)
    8GB GSkill DDR3
    EVGA 960 ACX 2.0 w/ 2GB of ram
    The Nvidia driver installed is 358.50. Older drivers don't seem to fix the issue.
    Monitor 1 - Asus VE248H 24" connected with HDMI (1920x1080)
    Monitor 2 - older Samsung 2220WM 22" connected by DVI (1680x1050). Used to browse the web while playing games, youtube, etc.

I have my monitors set to turn off after 10 mins of no activity, while my pc remains on(for serviio/plex streaming). Whenever I come back to my PC the main monitor responds, but the older Samsung starts flickering between the desktop and a black screen.

When this happens the new hardware connect/disconnect sound repeats. The mouse pointer position on the Asus monitor gets reset to the middle of the screen on each connect/disconnect. Sometimes I can fix it with a reboot, other times I have to remove the monitors from the device manager.

I installed the latest Threshold 2 update from the Insider fast track settings. I read they fixed some of the dual monitor issues. No luck.

I even tried the monitors separately and each works fine alone. The issue only occurs when both are connected and after the monitors wake up.

If you need more info let me know.
    Last edited by Waterfire; 2015-11-09 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfire View Post
    Win 10 Pro
    i5-3570k(stock)
    8GB GSkill DDR3
    EVGA 960 ACX 2.0 w/ 2GB of ram
    The Nvidia driver installed is 358.50. Older drivers don't seem to fix the issue.
    Monitor 1 - Asus VE248H 24" connected with HDMI (1920x1080)
    Monitor 2 - older Samsung 2220WM 22" connected by DVI (1680x1050). Used to browse the web while playing games, youtube, etc.

I have my monitors set to turn off after 10 mins of no activity, while my pc remains on(for serviio/plex streaming). Whenever I come back to my PC the main monitor responds, but the older Samsung starts flickering between the desktop and a black screen.

When this happens the new hardware connect/disconnect sound repeats. The mouse pointer position on the Asus monitor gets reset to the middle of the screen on each connect/disconnect. Sometimes I can fix it with a reboot, other times I have to remove the monitors from the device manager.

I installed the latest Threshold 2 update from the Insider fast track settings. I read they fixed some of the dual monitor issues. No luck.

I even tried the monitors separately and each works fine alone. The issue only occurs when both are connected and after the monitors wake up.

If you need more info let me know.
    I was having similar issues a while back with an older monitor. Turns out it was actually the monitor itself. Even though it worked most of the time and worked with other PCs, sometimes, upon waking up it would make the computer act weird and not work. Opened the monitor and noticed it had several bad capacitors. Replacing them solved the issue for me.

It seems weird that it happened at the same time you upgraded to W10, but it could be a weird coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I was having similar issues a while back with an older monitor. Turns out it was actually the monitor itself. Even though it worked most of the time and worked with other PCs, sometimes, upon waking up it would make the computer act weird and not work. Opened the monitor and noticed it had several bad capacitors. Replacing them solved the issue for me.

It seems weird that it happened at the same time you upgraded to W10, but it could be a weird coincidence.
    I hope not, but this lcd is like 6 years old. I wouldn't be totally shocked if it failed.

I ended up installing the game ready driver that just came out. It ended up messing everything up, so I used DDU. Reinstalled the drivers and now my issue is resolved. Can't believe I didn't think of using DDU before.

and its broken again, but this time it even flickers when my pc is off, so its definitely the monitor. Bestbuy has a 24" Dell for $99 on black friday, so I may get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfire View Post
    and its broken again, but this time it even flickers when my pc is off, so its definitely the monitor. Bestbuy has a 24" Dell for $99 on black friday, so I may get it.

- - - Updated - - -
    If you are so inclined, before spending money on a monitor, you can try taking yours apart. Look for the capacitors and see if they are bulging at the tops. If they are, it's pretty simple to remove them, just takes a soldering iron. Most people at least know someone with one, if not they are cheap. Take all the capacitors to a local radio shack or something and get new ones, almost as easy to put back in as they were to take off. The capacitors should only run a total of around $20. Far less than a new monitor if you are inclined to give it a shot. I had no previous experience when I did mine and it was a breeze.

sorry it took me so long to get back. I have no experience with soldering, so I ended up buying a black friday monitor early. I am starting to think it's my video card or win 10. It worked fine all day yesterday(even came back from the power saving off unlike my old samsung). Today is another story. Last night I turned off my PC. Today the monitor will show Asrock booting stuff, but as soon as it hits the Win10 login screen it goes to power saving mode. Only solution I have is to unplug the dvi cable and plug it back in. The monitor then works fine until I turn my pc off. Looks like I am heading back to Bestbuy to return this.

Then perhaps it is a W10 issue. There is another thread that popped up with someone else having issues with W10 dual display and a GTX 960.

I have a GTX 960 as well, but still on W8.1 and no issues. That's why I initially suspected the monitor, but it is starting to sound like either a W10 issue or a W10 driver issue.

exactly. I ended up calling EVGA to see if they had any reports of this issue. They said it sounds like the cable or the port on the card. Before any RMA they want me to check the cable. I was thinking of getting http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2. That will bypass the port and change the cable. Bestbuy wanted like $30 for a simple DVI cable.