10+ Year Old Account

Can't get PC to recognize GPU (It loves the APU)

Here's the specs of my friend's PC:

Today, I swapped his case and was going to give him my HD 7850, replacing his old GT 420. We got the components swapped and everything, GPU installed fine, catalyst control center drivers installed...but the PC can't find the GPU. It doesn't show up in speccy, it's not recognized. It's getting power, the fans are spinning, but the computer's ignoring it. I went into the BIOS and set the preferred video settings to "PCI-E", rebooted the PC, anddddddd...nothing. It loves the APU, it won't switch to the GPU.

Not sure what has to be done. I'm a little afraid to disable the APU outright, since the PC doesn't even seem interested in acknowledging the GPU. What if I turn off all video all together? That's no good.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2015-11-09 at 09:42 PM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

The graphics card is properly seated in the PCI-E slot and has the correct power supply cables attached?

You can always try to update the bios if there is one

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The graphics card is properly seated in the PCI-E slot and has the correct power supply cables attached?
    I'm at home now.

It was indeed pushed in completely, like normal, and I tried both a 6 pin and 6x2 pin PCI-E power cable. Fans were spinning when the PC was turned on. The PC did not recognize the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You can always try to update the bios if there is one
    Gah, should've tried it while I was there.
    [/url]

You can also try resetting the CMOS.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the monitor plugged in to the motherboard? If it is plugged in to the motherboard it wouldn't surprise me if the graphics card is turned off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You can also try resetting the CMOS.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the monitor plugged in to the motherboard? If it is plugged in to the motherboard it wouldn't surprise me if the graphics card is turned off.
    He has 2 monitors, one VGA, one HDMI. I kept the HDMI plugged in the entire time to the GPU, but the only way for us to get video was to plug the VGA into the motherboard. Even when we booted the PC up with both plugged into the GPU, we'd get no video, so we had to plug the VGA monitor into the motherboard.

We set the MoBo to UEFI defaults several times, but I didn't reset the CMOS.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious if anyone else has any insight to share.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple questions.

1) Does the Geforce 420 still work in the ITX system, like RIGHT NOW?
    2) Does the new ATI card still work in your old system?

I'm just wondering if, during the process of exchanging things, the PCI-E slot got boned, or the ATI card did. Unlikely, but best to rule it out.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted a thread over on the LTT forums with the same stuff, got some interesting responses. Right now, I'm thinking the PCI slot might have given up on life. Somehow.

Going to take me a few days to be able to check it out again.
    [/url]