10+ Year Old Account

Legion class choice

What ho ^.^

I've been pondering over my new main for Legion for ages now. I didn't want to make the same mistake I did in WoD (I made an Enhance Shaman. The spec and even class started terrible and I quit endgame in Blackrock. Now the spec is good but cba going on :P).
    Anyway, of all the things I've gathered, I keep changing my mind between Priest and Mage every week saying I'm certain now. Which I'm not. If someone would be able to tell me based on my opinion, I'd really love you ^.^ With the things I've gathered, this is what I can say:

Priest
    - I've played Holy Priest from TBC up to end MoP, I went hardcore raiding in Cata and MoP reaching realm top numbers (Just an RP realm mind you, but feels fun being the one Holy between hundreds of Discs in the top numbers :3).
    - Holy Priest is my favourite healing class/spec and I feel very comfortable as a healer
    - Shadow Priest looks very interesting in Legion at the moment
    - My Priest has nearly all of my achievements except for WoD ones
    - I have played Priest for so long, I might be very good at it but it also might get boring again quite quickly
    - I disliked disc since I first played a priest and it'll likely not change, making only 2 out of 3 specs an option for me
    - The priest artifacts don't interest me very much (aka transmog)

Mage
    - My first character ever made in vanilla was a Fire Mage, which I mained up to TBC and then played as an alt, always going to max level still
    - Fire is up to date my most favourite dps spec in the game next to Enhance Shaman
    - I have a few Vanilla/TBC-grandfathered items on my Mage (including a few t3 items from doing the raids in tbc)
    - I like all 3 specs a lot and can vary between all, with my favourite put on Fire, then Arcane and Frost on the same level
    - The artifacts I LOVE, especially the fire one. The arcane and frost ones I find really beautiful as well
    - I have not hardcore raided as a mage or even as a DPS
    - I'd lack the ability to heal

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me make my decision! :3

Yours truly,
    Shinela
    It's a shame that Shadowlands killed PvE twinking. Still I enjoy the game.
    Endgame: Main, Alt

The one you like most.... It's you that has to log it on everyday if you want to play.
    I have a Mage and Priest. I hate the Priest. That is all.

Deleted
    Stay holy. You don't seem to like shadow or disc. I suspect you wouldn't even like mage if you don't like shadow.

It appears there is a lot of emotional bias in your points so I mainly consider this:

"I feel very comfortable as a healer"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Stay holy. You don't seem to like shadow or disc. I suspect you wouldn't even like mage if you don't like shadow.

It appears there is a lot of emotional bias in your points so I mainly consider this:

"I feel very comfortable as a healer"
    Oddly enough, I like mage a lot as it is, yet shadow as it is now.. less as much. Looks interesting in Legion though.

But I do get your point about me having to stay as a healer solely built on feeling comfortable as one. It's a role I can't do as a mage :P But then again, mage seems more fun after having mained a Holy Priest for so long :s

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Need to see the classes in action. Leaning towards Hunter, lock or shaman right now.. maybe mage. Ret is always a favorite but they always end up sub par in PvP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinela View Post
    Oddly enough, I like mage a lot as it is, yet shadow as it is now.. less as much. Looks interesting in Legion though.

But I do get your point about me having to stay as a healer solely built on feeling comfortable as one. It's a role I can't do as a mage :P But then again, mage seems more fun after having mained a Holy Priest for so long :s

Holy looks amazing now (in Legion changes). It gets rid of the clunkiness of chakras and the holy words look more fun. Disc might become obnoxious with all those "put atonements on players".

I've been maining a holy+disc for about a year recently.

6.0 made disc worse and now it's probably even worse.

Deleted
    Warrior is always the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Shinela View Post
    Oddly enough, I like mage a lot as it is
    If you like Mage on live but find it a little too complex (despite being the easiest class overall), you will love it in Legion, I can tell you that much

If you ever get the urge to heal though, stay Priest because you don't have the multi-role luxury as Mage (not to mention needing all 3 artifacts up to date when the spec rollercoaster goes through every patch).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    If you ever get the urge to heal though, stay Priest because you don't have the multi-role luxury as Mage (not to mention needing all 3 artifacts up to date when the spec rollercoaster goes through every patch).
    I dont know where this come from but priest has a far bigger problem with multirole than mage. Either you decide to be one spec purely (which you can do for both classes) or you are open up to change specs. Prob is a mage is only asked in the top 5% guilds to really change spec. Priest as healer is far more often in the concern to switch between heal and dps for Boss xyz.

About Holy:

-With Chakra absurd restriction being removed, holy playstyle will be flexible again.
    -Miracle spells sound really really cool, and fit better with the priest concept. Imo, miracles will be the kind of spells that makes you play a class.
    -Blizzard wants to make holy priests finally the true masters of healing, so probably there's no better expansion to play as holy than Legion.
    -Artifact weapons can be transmog, so you can use another staff visual.

What could go wrong?

-No mates. To solo as holy can be frustrating. Is your guild situation solid?
    -Numbers. Not compared to other classes, i'm saying spell by spell. In WoD Some holy spells ended healing miserable amounts of health (Binding Heal, Sanctuary, Mending...). It's frustrating to cast healing spells that doesn't fill health bars at all.

About fire:

-Fire spec will be less DoT centered, it was something you enjoyed?
    -Fire mages will use more aoe spells on Legion, more Flamestrikes, Meteors, Dragon's Breath, and less single targeting and let spreaded DoTs do the aoe job.
    -The new Combustion will be really exciting to play, casting several Flamestrikes or Pyroblasts instantly on a short period.

What could en wrong?

-Visually boring. A lot of mage spells look really outdated. We keep hope for some new shining visuals, but right now it's depressing to cast Fireball.
    -Frost and Arcane could end being OP and you will feel forced to play a spec that you don't enjoy at all.
    Last edited by Zoros; 2015-11-10 at 02:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Polarthief: No, I don't find mages complex xD I just decided I'd main an enhance and couldn't be arsed leveling up a new character after blackrock, so I went entirely onto my twinking guild instead. In fact, I love complex specs a lot, even though Mage isn't very complex is just very fun to play, I find.
    Tomathan is right, Priest is harder to multirole than Mage is, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoros View Post
    About Holy:

-With Chakra absurd restriction being removed, holy playstyle will be flexible again.
    -Miracle spells sound really really cool, and fit better with the priest concept. Imo, miracles will be the kind of spells that makes you play a class.
    -Blizzard wants to make holy priests finally the true masters of healing, so probably there's no better expansion to play as holy than Legion.
    -Artifact weapons can be transmog, so you can use another staff visual.

What could go wrong?

-No mates. To solo as holy can be frustrating. Is your guild situation solid?
    -Numbers. Not compared to other classes, i'm saying spell by spell. In WoD Some holy spells ended healing miserable amounts of health (Binding Heal, Sanctuary, Mending...). It's frustrating to cast healing spells that doesn't fill health bars at all.

About fire:

-Fire spec will be less DoT centered, it was something you enjoyed?
    -Fire mages will use more aoe spells on Legion, more Flamestrikes, Meteors, Dragon's Breath, and less single targeting and let spreaded DoTs do the aoe job.
    -The new Combustion will be really exciting to play, casting several Flamestrikes or Pyroblasts instantly on a short period.

What could en wrong?

-Visually boring. A lot of mage spells look really outdated. We keep hope for some new shining visuals, but right now it's depressing to cast Fireball.
    -Frost and Arcane could end being OP and you will feel forced to play a spec that you don't enjoy at all.
    - I liked the chakra's. I really did I preferred them mostly when they were in WotLK, the one that you cast and had a small duration time before resetting. But I liked the Chakra's still, I felt it really distincted me from regular players being able to swap between them.
    - Miracles do indeed seem interesting so far. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
    - I don't care about being the strongest healer. In fact I'd discourage it since there'd be more people with the same class/spec for a raid.
    - I'm a GM of a pretty big 70 twinking guild. I've got 200 friends on battletag only because of that, so I always have someone to go with ^.^
    - The numbers were always an issue, but sometimes that is just life. Every spec has some spells that are useless.

- DoTs are fun but not the main reason I liked fire mage.
    - I'd actually really love that. Meteor is my favourite spell in game.
    - I imagine having a lot of fun with the new Combustion, indeed ^.^
    - Visuals don't really bother me. If I'm less impressive than other classes, so be it. I'm still having my fun
    - As said, I don't mind playing frost or arcane. I enjoy both just as much, just Fire being my favourite of the three, whilst with priest I always disliked Holy and Shadow was a so-so spec for me.

Thanks for the replies so far ^.^ Really appreciated <3

Personally I would love nothing more than to go back to playing a Fire Mage and I think the changes they are making are going to make that completely doable for me. My main has always been my mage ever since I started in BC and I played fire up until Cata, it is by far my favorite spec thematically and it as very sad to see it go to hell the last 4-5 years. Assuming it can compete with Arcane and Frost I will absolutely pick it ... hell even if it is a little bit behind arcane/frost i will choose fire ... but if it is way behind like it is now then ill have to pick a different spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrq View Post
    Personally I would love nothing more than to go back to playing a Fire Mage and I think the changes they are making are going to make that completely doable for me.

That's likely what's going on. The AOE potential of Fire was immense today and it would be impossible to buf single target without making it unfair for the other specs, including other specs in the entire game. By making it severely toned down in spreading dots it opens the door to making it viable.

Just play what you enjoy the most. If that's fire mage or enhance pick it. Shadow, and by extension priest, is nothing like mage at all. There is no comparison to be made there. Also it seems you already don't like specs on some classes where you're more neutral or accepting of other specs for mage. Seems like mage would be more fulfilling as a class for you as far as main spec and off spec when comparing that to your views of priest.

Deleted
    The only thing i'd say is that across multiple expansions mages have had the spec rollercoster special.
    Whilst it's gotten better a bit in MoP and particularly in WoD where most specs are viable if you're not too fussed about being super optimal. I'd advise caution especially seeing as you said you really enjoyed being in top percentiles, which with a mage will most likely mean having to play that tiers spec.

I've mained a mage since near the end of TBC when i started playing and it's starting to feel stale. Might not be the case for you seeing as it would be a new class.
    I struggle a bit between do i carry on with my mage because i have so much time invested in it and emotional attachment or play something else?
    If i ever went with play something else as a main though i would definitely go with a multi-role class, i'd never role a pure as a main again.