Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anyone running WoW with dual 980ti's 1440p? How is SLI scaling?

Now I don't want to hear that I don't "need" 980ti SLI or that I'm insane, figured that out already
    What I want to hear is if it's anyone in here running WoW, or other games for that matter as well, with 980ti SLI in 1440p.
    Does WoW scale well with that setup? Supposed to be more CPU intense so that's why I'm asking.

Unless it has changed recently, WoW runs better on a single card most of the time than it does on dual cards.

I have a single 980 ti with a 4790k processor and WoW is unable to max even a single 980 ti. I get way WAY over 100 fps in most parts of the game.

Deleted
    Also heard that single card should be better, and you get more performance by investing more money on a great cpu

Deleted
    I don't run it myself, but we had a couple ppl before playing that 980(ti)' in sli at 4k even and said it worked fine. WoW didn't like sli loooong time ago, thinK tbc/wrath and i think its one of the games that sli actually works good atm. Actually nvidia did report it being supported for WoD. Whether its needed or not its another matter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Unless it has changed recently, WoW runs better on a single card most of the time than it does on dual cards.
    Have you been living in a cave for the past 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    I don't run it myself, but we had a couple ppl before playing that 980(ti)' in sli at 4k even and said it worked fine. WoW didn't like sli loooong time ago, thinK tbc/wrath and i think its one of the games that sli actually works good atm. Actually nvidia did report it being supported for WoD. Whether its needed or not its another matter.
    Except Blizzard has stated that WoW still does not support SLI. Nvidia is simply trying to sell cards. They simply added HBAO+.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Have you been living in a cave for the past 5 years?
    Have you? It is a topic that has been discussed at some length for quite some time. A lot of people running SLI get better performance in WoW with one card, as opposed to 2. The WoW engine just does not work well with it for many.

As expected then.. it's a bit of a gamble going SLI..
    Above 100 fps is nice. Im running a 144Hz monitor with G-sync so as high as possible really, is my goal.

Deleted
    Except Blizzard has stated that WoW still does not support SLI. Nvidia is simply trying to sell cards. They simply added HBAO+.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you? It is a topic that has been discussed at some length for quite some time. A lot of people running SLI get better performance in WoW with one card, as opposed to 2. The WoW engine just does not work well with it for many.
    you are simply wrong. I know ppl run sli since cata and saw differences. Even as small as they were cause back then you could run it with a toaster it still worked fine. Ie you wanted to play an fps game better so you had sli. Why the hell you would turn it off if you jumped in wow and you had no problems running it. Can you provide us the link where Blizzard has stated not supporting it? Besides its more on nvidia end to make it work rather than blizzard (hardware/drivers), no matter how much you gain for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post
    I have a single 980 ti with a 4790k processor and WoW is unable to max even a single 980 ti. I get way WAY over 100 fps in most parts of the game.
    How do you have so much fps when you can't max out your settings?

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I am sorry! I must have been mistaken. You seem to know what you are talking about. Please do continue.

..Wait, what's this? Does it say SLI supported or am I reading it wrong?

..But wait, there's more! This can't be.

Oh I am sorry! I must have been mistaken. You seem to know what you are talking about. Please do continue.

..Wait, what's this? Does it say SLI supported or am I reading it wrong?

..But wait, there's more! This can't be.
    Is either one of articles Blizzard stating that they support SLI? No. Does either one of those articles reflect the large number of users that experience flicker and stutter while using SLI, due to the fact that the engine itself does not support SLI? Who cares if you gain a few fps, if the other issues occur, which has been reported by many users.

Even the benchmarks you posted shows that a single 970 outperforms dual 960s, which would not normally be the case in most games. Basically, a WoW player would be better off upgrading their GPU, and selling their old one instead of adding another identical GPU as what they had.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2015-11-10 at 02:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is either one of articles Blizzard stating that they support SLI?
    Why would blizzard have to state that they support SLI? It's not tech implemented by them but Nvidia.

Does either one of those articles reflect the large number of users that experience flicker and stutter while using SLI, due to the fact that the engine itself does not support SLI? Who cares if you gain a few fps, if the other issues occur, which has been reported by many users.
    There's always more problems with SLI than single card. That's the fact you accept when buying in to SLI. Engine does not support it? I'd beg to differ. It clearly gives you close to double the performance at higher resolutions and divides the load between both GPU's. Micro stutter is pretty normal and/ or not observable in all cases so you can't blame it on the engine support.

Well as usual this turned into a shit storm worthy of MMO-champ :P

Here is a blue response saying that officially, nether SLI nor Crossfire is supported, this was 2 years ago:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6533733892

At the same time, here is another user who reports "fantastic" SLI scaling, tho the thread is 4 years old now and he does 3-way-sli:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3053897547

Seems to be a lottery, as you can really find as many people who SLI does not work for, as you can people who it really does NOT work for.

I'll update this thread for shits'n'giggles if I ever decide to get another 980ti.

Why would blizzard have to state that they support SLI? It's not tech implemented by them but Nvidia.

There's always more problems with SLI than single card. That's the fact you accept when buying in to SLI. Engine does not support it? I'd beg to differ. It clearly gives you close to double the performance at higher resolutions and divides the load between both GPU's. Micro stutter is pretty normal and/ or not observable in all cases so you can't blame it on the engine support.
    The game takes no advantage of SLI or Crossfire configurations. It will tolerate them but occasionally we'll ask to have them disabled if an issue arises that we feel might be related to them, but's that's usually driver-related, and not always something the game is doing.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/19644934297#1

Blizzard has repeatedly stated that there is no SLI support in WoW, and they don't plan on adding it in the future. And if you think that the tech is not something that has to be built into a game, you are deluded.

10+ Year Old Account
    A GTX 960 is more than enough to run WoW at 1440p. A 970 is overkill. A 980 is overkill. A 980ti is overkill. A 980ti SLI setup is just plain stupid overkill. It stopped scaling back at the GTX 960.

In any situation where you are bound by the CPU, which is most cases in WoW, ie. Raids, Garrison, main cities, you won't notice a difference. Out in the open world without anything going on, your FPS may go up, but if it's already over 144 with a single 980ti, you likely will not notice the difference at all, other than having a higher number on your FPS counter.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    How do you have so much fps when you can't max out your settings?
    I think they are saying they have WoW to the max and they don't use all of their available hardware resources to do it.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

I use a single 980ti now and run on a 4k monitor. I see no reason to need to run SLI as of now. It's just a waste.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

I have been running 2-way SLI for some years now. I have tried dual 570s, 770s. I run 2560x1600 resolution. I just got a new rig yesterday that has dual 980 Ti but have not compared FPS with SLI on and off yet.

With WoD I saw some improvements but still very small. Between 5 and 10 FPS increase only with basic before/afrer testing in Warspear. I honestly wouldn't invest in the second card unless you have other applications which take better advantage of SLI. I use 2-way mainly because of FPS games like Battlefield 4.