10+ Year Old Account

Question So the plural for Shaman really is...Shaman?

That doesn't make any sense grammatically. Wouldn't Shamen make better sense?

Why is Shaman the same as Sheep?
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Deleted
    It's only the case in Warcraft apparently. Usually, the plural is shamans.

As for why it can't be shamen, it's because it's a word of non-English origin that was only brought into the language relatively recently. Grammatical exceptions are usually reserved for words of Celtic or Germanic origin that have been part of English for centuries (even millenia).

Deleted
    Wish I could post links already, but hey: wowwiki.wikia .com /wiki/Spelling_of_shaman

In English, the correct plural form of shaman is shamans. Unlike man or woman, the word sha•man is not derived from the base word man, so the plural form of man cannot be used. The word shaman is actually an incorporated foreign word to the English language (like the French word bureau), and not a word (or derived from a word) from the Middle or Old English like man. Like any incorporated word, it has to follow the same standard English rule for plural forms on nouns (e.g. paper/papers, prima donna/prima donnas) unless it already has a plural form from its original language (like the Latin syllabus/syllabi).
    Further, the female form is not shamaness, but rather shamanka.
    Huh. So I learned something too

Is there really anyone who thought that "shaman" is derived from the English "man"?

But then again ... there are people who think that the word "hamburger" had something to do with ham ...

Deleted
    It's just a Blizzard thing. As that quote says the correct pluralisation is "shamans", but in Blizzard land it's "shaman." Which is funny because nobody in-game uses it and just say "shamans" anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    It's only the case in Warcraft apparently. Usually, the plural is shamans.
    No, usually -- in respect to how long the language has been around -- the plural was "shaman." Just like the plural of deer is "deer" or the plural of aircraft is "aircraft." It has only been recently that some (not all, but some) dictionaries have been adding "shamans" as plural of the term, mostly because they reflect the way people speak rather than set the precedent for how they should be speaking.

It has not, nor ever been, "shamen" however. That's just outright ridiculous.

Deleted
    Safer to just go with "Sha-Touched" imo.

Might be an Expansion too late though

Its Shamen in the real world. No clue about WoW.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Its Shamen in the real world. No clue about WoW.
    But it isn't though.

I always like to think of it as 'Sherman'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    That doesn't make any sense grammatically. Wouldn't Shamen make better sense?

Why is Shaman the same as Sheep?
    Why? Ask your the English language for never making any sense when it comes to plurals.

Goose -> Geese, Moose -> Moose
    Mouse -> Mice, House -> Houses

Never makes sense.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't Shamen because it isn't a word based on the word "man"

One Shaman, many Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    It has not, nor ever been, "shamen" however. That's just outright ridiculous.
    I think a lot of people pronounce it that way though.

Shamenses Shamalaman Shamadamadingdong Shamun Shami

Shatell-you-whatta-want-whatta-really-really-want

Sha-doo-wap-dee-*improvised scat for 5 minutes*-doo

Lets just start our own trend with 'shamen' and spread it around

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps View Post
    It's just a Blizzard thing. As that quote says the correct pluralisation is "shamans", but in Blizzard land it's "shaman." Which is funny because nobody in-game uses it and just say "shamans" anyway.
    I've never heard anyone say "Shamans". I hear people say Shaman. Maybe in the UK it's different. It's like the plural for Deer is Deer. Moose is Moose. Elk is Elk, etc., etc.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    Shamen just makes more sense to me for plurals but I'm ok with Shamans XD
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D