Page 1 of 163
... LastLast

[BETA] Demonology Warlock Discussion

Since Beta is officially upon us this thread will be changed slightly from the "pre-Beta" iteration to a full blown Beta thread. I'll include a few shortcut links to things relevant to Beta:

General Talent Calculator

PvP Talent Calculator

Artifact Talent Tree

Item Sets

Legacy of Azj'Aqir
    Vestments of the Black Harvest

Legendaries (ooo shiny):
    Pillars of the Dark Portal
    Sin'dorei Spite
    Sephuz's Secret
    Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus

Kazzak's Final Curse
    Recurrent Ritual
    Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning

Legendaries NOT available yet:
    Fatebender
    Timeshifters
    Norgannon's Foresight

Once the datamining is over and/or beta actually comes out with all the current abilities and spells I'll update the OP. Currently there is a lot of information out there for all the specs, but sort of in jumbled order which can be found here: http://www.wowhead.com/news=250045/l...hanges#warlock

Also Walterion has a pretty concise list of abilities as well for Demo only on Page 8.

Originally Posted by Blizzard

Demonology
    By their very nature, demons are leeches on the living universe—but the demonologist has mastered harnessing the power of these malefic beings on the field of battle. Warlocks harvest the souls of their defeated enemies; those specialized in the ways of demonology use this life essence to tap into the Void, pulling all manner of abomination from the chaos of the Twisting Nether. While such a practice is often considered by outsiders to be wicked and reckless, the demonologist maintains absolute control over the summoned creatures. These malignant entities are fully beholden to—and empowered by—the will of the warlock, until banished to the realm from whence they came.

"The demonologist has mastered harnessing the power of malefic beings on the field of battle"

Gameplay
    While all Warlocks maintain the power to summon demons, Demonology is distinguished by the ability to call forth waves of demons to overwhelm the opposition, and also to further empower the demons they summon. Over the years we strayed too far from this design, to the extent that Demonology gameplay was defined more by the Warlock becoming a demon. Legion provides a fitting opportunity for us to realign the spec around its core function of mastering control of demons, not transforming into them.

We also recognize that Demonology had a large array of intertwined mechanics that weren’t intuitive, and they’ve undergone a greater degree of redesign as a result. For those who played Demonology during Warlords of Draenor, the gameplay will feel quite different in Legion. Beta test feedback will be essential in helping us to ensure that the new spec feels strong and enjoyable and that we’ve accomplished our goal of returning Demonology to its foundations.

To give you an idea of the Demonology Warlock in action, here’s a basic look at their core combat abilities:
    • Shadow Bolt
      • 6% Mana, 40 yd range, 2.5 sec cast
      • Sends a shadowy bolt at the enemy, causing minor Shadow damage. Generates 1 Soul Shard.
    • Call Dreadstalkers
      • 2 Soul Shards, 40 yd range, 2 sec cast, 15 sec cooldown
      • Summon 2 ferocious Dreadstalkers to attack the target for 12 sec.
    • Hand of Gul’dan
      • 1 to 5 Soul Shards, 40 yd range, 1.5 sec cast
      • Calls down a demonic meteor full of Wild Imps which burst forth to attack the target for 12 sec.
      • Deals up to a strong amount of Shadow damage to all enemies within 8 yds and summons up to 5 Wild Imps, based on Soul Shards consumed.
    • Demonic Empowerment
      • 6% Mana, 1.5 sec cast, 12 sec recharge, 3 charges
      • Empowers up to 3 of your active demons with dark energies, increasing their Haste and health by 50% for 12 sec.
      • Prefers stronger demons first.
    • Mastery: Master Demonologist
      • Demonic Empowerment also increases the damage of your demons by 50% (with Mastery from typical gear).
    • Doom
      • 2% Mana, 40 yd range, Instant
      • Inflicts impending doom upon the target, causing absolutely massive Shadow damage after 20 seconds
      • Generates a Soul Shard when it deals damage.
    • Demonwrath
      • 2.5% Mana per sec, Channeled
      • Your demons crackle with demonic energy. Every 1 sec, all enemies within 10 yds of any of your demons take minor Shadow damage.
      • Each time Demonwrath deals damage, it has a 15% chance to generate a Soul Shard.
      • May be channeled while moving.

Additionally, to provide a glimpse at how some talents may build upon this, here’s one example of a Demonology-specific talent:
    • Implosion
      • 6% Mana, Instant
      • Causes all of your Wild Imps to be violently yanked toward the target, and then explode, dealing moderate Shadow damage to all enemies near them.

Demonology Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Demonic Empowerment sounds cool, but the fact that it lasts 12 sec, has 12 sec cd and 3 charges is weird, given that most of the temporary demons are also alive only for 12 sec. What if I have a strong demon that's going to despawn in 2 sec?
    Managing when to cast Demonic Empowerment will be a key part of mastering Demonology gameplay. (WarcraftDevs)

I'd prefer if all demons were buffed, so I don't have to track which are my most powerful 3 and when are they about to despawn.
    Then you'll be quite interested in the Power Trip talent, which does exactly that! (WarcraftDevs)

“buffs up to three of your active pets” does that mean that Demo can have multiple different demon types up?
    It can affect your primary demon pet, Infernal or Doomguard, Grimoire of Service pets, Dreadstalkers, and Wild Imps. (WarcraftDevs)

in the description of the talent Implosion it says that the imps "violently explode" that means they die in the process too?
    Indeed, it does! (WarcraftDevs)

General
    How many soul shards do each of the Warlock specs have and are there ways to regen them out of combat?
    Maximum of 5 for all specs. 1 regens out of combat. There are other sources, including out of combat, in talents. (WarcraftDevs)

I would really like some clarification of this phrase: "and causing some demons to be favored based on the Warlock’s spec."
    When all pets' damage was equal, everyone used an Imp. In Legion, each spec will slightly favor one demon for raw DPS.
    Affliction slightly favors Felhunters. Demonology favors Felguards, and Destruction favors Imps. Others offer strong utility. (WarcraftDevs)

I like everything I see. Will we still keep our green fire?
    Green Fire is staying. Don't worry. (WarcraftDevs)

How do Warlocks regen Mana in Legion? Life Tap? Stuff like the initial Affliction Artifact Talent? Both?
    Yes, all Warlocks will use Life Tap in Legion. (WarcraftDevs)

I'm curious why some times class consistency is good (soul shards) and other times its not (holy power)?
    Great question! It's important that the resource itself has strong fantasy, and that it also brings strong gameplay. (WarcraftDevs)

Does Dark Soul still exist for Warlocks in Legion?
    No. Instead, Doomguards and Infernals will be on much shorter cooldowns, and possibly stronger, to fulfill the same role. (WarcraftDevs)

I keep hearing a lot about executes being mostly removed outside of Warriors. Will Doomguard's Doom Bolt still have execute?
    Still evaluating. We're most sensitive to abilities which are only usable at low target health. Doom Bolt is different. (WarcraftDevs)

Artifact Weapon
    What weapon-type is the demo warlock artifact?
    It's a very unique artifact. We're still determining exactly how it will work for e.g. transmogrification.(WarcraftDevs)

Before the eredar served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. His audacious power grab infuriated the demon lord Archimonde, who struck him down, then had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the dreadlord Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.

Artifact Skins

Talent Tree

CLICKY
    Last edited by Woz; 2016-07-14 at 07:03 PM.

Deleted
    If we'll be so much pet dependent, i hope they improve pet AI.

I just hope the demon waves are more than just Imps. Like I want to send a wave of succubi, felguard, or mix it up.

Want to thank Woz for starting a thread for each one of our specs. It's wonderful having all the info for each class compiled and organized.

LOL a mix of demons be pretty fking sweet tbh lol, also if they enslave demon like our big 2min or 3min cd allowed us to control a pit lord for 20secs lol

our "waves of demons" is imps and DOGS?
    seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Ailil View Post
    our "waves of demons" is imps and DOGS?
    seriously?
    You have to remember that this is a multiplayer game and consider how other players interact with you, especially in regards to PvP.

"Is the demon chewing on my face a temp pet that will vanish shortly or a main pet that will significantly impair the Warlock if I take the time to kill it?" Other players need to be able to make that distinction quickly and visually, without having to check tooltips. So there's no scenario where we get to summon waves of pets with the same model as one of our normal pets. The closest would be Grim of Service, which a Dev Tweet just implied was still in the game, and since those are of equal strength to our normal pets that's also important visual information for other players.

Similarly we're never going to get Pit Lords or anything so large it would fill the screen of melee players when we sic it on the ass of a raid boss. These are just inherent limitations to a shared game where we aren't the only player that matters. Calibrating your expectations properly will save you a great deal of unneeded disappointment.

I'm excited for a 30m pug with 4-5 demo locks and 2-3 bm hunters bringing all of their pets and a couple DK's armying at once.
    Last edited by Cathbadh; 2015-11-11 at 01:11 AM.

The Imps and Dogs are just the start, didn't they say there are going to be more new demons too? Either way I think Demonology looks amazing and I can't wait to run around screaming "WILLSON, WE ARE THE SWARM!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    You have to remember that this is a multiplayer game and consider how other players interact with you, especially in regards to PvP.

"Is the demon chewing on my face a temp pet that will vanish shortly or a main pet that will significantly impair the Warlock if I take the time to kill it?" Other players need to be able to make that distinction quickly and visually, without having to check tooltips. So there's no scenario where we get to summon waves of pets with the same model as one of our normal pets. The closest would be Grim of Service, which a Dev Tweet just implied was still in the game, and since those are of equal strength to our normal pets that's also important visual information for other players.

Similarly we're never going to get Pit Lords or anything so large it would fill the screen of melee players when we sic it on the ass of a raid boss. These are just inherent limitations to a shared game where we aren't the only player that matters. Calibrating your expectations properly will save you a great deal of unneeded disappointment.
    not talking only about the size
    we have blizz saying that want us to go back to our roots to summon demons... then give us an animal

but you are right, this an mmo, we will never have a truly summoner of "waves of demons", especially not with wow ui and ai
    i was silly and having my hopes up...

10+ Year Old Account
    So far this is my FAVORITE spec of Legion. I really hope I get into beta so I can try all this stuff out.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Very hopeful for Legion Demo after some of these outlined spells. My only concern is that there are a lot of spells that all require varying numbers of soul shards, which seem to jostle against eachother for space in a rotation. There's no clear identification of which spells belong where and in what order. Unless demonology produces soul shards at a prodigious rate with talents, I see a lot of spells just sitting around never getting used because more important cooldowns are being used as spenders.

Quote Originally Posted by SushiOrk View Post
    The Imps and Dogs are just the start, didn't they say there are going to be more new demons too? Either way I think Demonology looks amazing and I can't wait to run around screaming "WILLSON, WE ARE THE SWARM!"
    The dogs are the new demons they were talking about. From what we see so far, Demonology is Felguard + 2 Dreadstalkers + 3-5 Imps.

Quote Originally Posted by Firespark View Post
    The dogs are the new demons they were talking about. From what we see so far, Demonology is Felguard + 2 Dreadstalkers + 3-5 Imps.
    Oh, I thought we would be getting a new demon or something in our permanent demon rotation. Plus we don't know what the rest of the talents are yet do we? Maybe there are a few more demons hiding in our talents and/or possibly to be yanked out of our Artifact. That would be pretty cool, some new powerful demons to work towards in our Artifact tree.

Quote Originally Posted by SushiOrk View Post
    Oh, I thought we would be getting a new demon or something in our permanent demon rotation. Plus we don't know what the rest of the talents are yet do we? Maybe there are a few more demons hiding in our talents and/or possibly to be yanked out of our Artifact. That would be pretty cool, some new powerful demons to work towards in our Artifact tree.
    I can't find the source but I distinctly remember Blizzard saying Warlocks would get new varieties of demons to summon and control. Perhaps some of the new demons they've shown might become cooldowns. That'd be cool.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wooo all warlocks get life tap i can almost kill myself again! now just need all warlocks to get hellfire so we can!

"How do Warlocks regen Mana in Legion? Life Tap? Stuff like the initial Affliction Artifact Talent? Both?
    Yes, all Warlocks will use Life Tap in Legion. (WarcraftDevs)"

Sigh.....it sounds like we're taking almost as many steps backwards than forward with many of these announced changes, and not necessarily for the best. Life Tap for everyone again, more sharing of RNG Shard regeneration, more spec abilities becoming "new" talents, specs favoring certain pets more for DPS. Beta better work some miracles here when it's finished.

Life Tap is fine as long as we have enough self-healing to offset it. Which, given that Afflic not only has a non-crippled Drain Life but has it as their main filler spell, I'm rather expecting Demo will too. The Devs seem to have finally gotten over their aversion to it.
    Last edited by Kirroth; 2015-11-11 at 02:01 AM.

I'm just mad that blizz is refusing to answer the question if pet/guardian ai will be improved. Because if they don't this entire rework is moot as demo becomes garbage bin tier as you can't invest into the artifact knowing you can't run it every fight (remember they want you to stay the same spec all through progression).

Demonic leap?