Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    What's a better job according to you?
    I'm guessing rocket surgeon, or something. But they need to eat out sometimes...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go JOE! Gonna have to go get some crabs.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It will attract customers, especially since their prices are already high and a 20% on top of that makes for an expensive meal, but they will have a harder time finding waiters/ress unless other restaurants follow suit
    ^ This. While I approve of the new policy, most waiters and waitress depend/prefer tips. If they're very experienced and professional, often they make more then the managers or bosses they work for from tips alone. So the $14/h wage can't really match or compete with what some are already used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Trust me, we appreciate it. It just involves a sequence of, server walks into the kitchen, says table 20 wants to talk to you. oh shit what are they complaining about? Get a fresh apron, change into long sleeve chef coat, make sure I'm looking good, abandoning the line. Get out there, be my charming self. Oh, damn, they aren't complaining. Thank you, thank you.

That makes my week. Just don't do it when the place looks busy, please.

On another note, it's increasingly common where I am for the cooks to be part of the tip pool. Server's aren't required to pool tips, but most do because it smooths out slow days or sections.
    I wish there was a easy way to give the cook a tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    It's just under 30.9k before taxes. That's plenty anywhere outside of major cities.

Plenty? I guess if eating ramen every night is your thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Go JOE! Gonna have to go get some crabs.
    They will be earning less money meanwhile the restaurant will be earning more due to higher prices.

The tipping culture turns customer service workers into beggars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I ask the same question regarding the federal minimum wage.
    Its real easy if you dont insist on living in a city. I only pay $450 a month for my rent

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Plenty? I guess if eating ramen every night is your thing.
    Plenty enough to survive on, yes. If you can't get by on 31k outside of a major city, you're doing it wrong. Hell, most small town cops in this region don't even pull 14/hr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The tipping culture turns customer service workers into beggars.
    how? and you really shouldnt bitch at customers when they don't tip you because the company is losing more business than you are in tips because you're being a whiny self centered baby

when i was a delivery driver i was more frustrated with the people that i worked with and too focused on not getting a ticket to care about tips. one time a guy paid me in all change because they didn't have the cash. they wanted to pay with the card but someone else would have had to be sent out with the receipt anyway.

they could not give me a tip. i told them it was okay. i did not care at all. the company i worked for practically covered my gas expenses by giving me the delivery charge. if you deliver 50 orders in one day, you're really not going to give a shit about 4 or 5 of them not tipping. my job wasn't to cry about tips - it was to deliver orders swiftly and to create a great image for the company I worked for.

We argue a lot about the matter of tipping on here. But the fact of it, is that a lot of people DO TIP and personally in my experience most of the people who do not tip are teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Joe's Crab Shack is the first national chain to implement a no-tipping policy.

Menu prices will rise and average of 12 to 15 percent and staff will start at $14 an hour. You can make even more with great performance.

This is just a headline from Facebook. Joe's has 113 stores.
    Sounds good to me. I usually tip 20-25% so this is a 10% discount. Poor waiters though, they will be making significantly less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It's not clear what they mean by a 'no tipping' policy, are customers not allowed to tip at all? Or do they make it clear that tips are entirely optional, as the staff are paid a fair wage?
    I hope policy is no tipping allowed, strictly enforced. So much so that I can have someone fired by tipping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its real easy if you dont insist on living in a city. I only pay $450 a month for my rent
    I don't live in a city and I never insisted on where I live, it's just where I live. My rent is 1100 for a 1 bedroom. You couldn't even get a room for rent here for 450.
    Last edited by lockedout; 2015-11-14 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    how.
    It pays them nothing and forces them to "beg" for money.
    It is extremely degrading to put someone in a place where they have to basically compete for donations.

I support this. Although I curious to see how the quality of service remains the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It pays them nothing and forces them to "beg" for money.
    It is extremely degrading to put someone in a place where they have to basically compete for donations.
    I didn't know doing your job was begging.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I don't live in a city and I never insisted on where I live, it's just where I live. My rent is 1100 for a 1 bedroom. You couldn't even get a room for rent here for 450.
    Seriously, you need to move. I pay $525/month for a large 2-bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Seriously, you need to move. I pay $525/month for a large 2-bedroom.
    I've never heard of rent so cheap to be honest. Where is this? Mexico?