Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Its a hard matter to treat fairly to be honest. On one had if the accused is innocent they suffer significant losses from the charge alone that can end a academic or professional career. One the other hand if we make it a crime to come forward victims will be worried about being charged if they lose a hard to win case.

Doesn't a more practical solution seem to be simply to abolish the sexual registry for crimes committed above the age of consent and simply proceed with them in the same manner we do for assualt.
    This doesn't really make sense.

Your first point was that an accusation alone, or being charged, is sufficient to create social backlash, regardless of guilt.

The second point was about abolishing a registry you will only ever be put on if you're convicted of a crime.

They're unrelated.

The only way to deal with the former is to restrict the freedom of speech and freedom of the press, to prevent them reporting on those charges.

And the latter I don't agree is an issue, in the first place. If I have an issue with sex offender registries, it's that crimes like "public urination" get you put on them; actual convicted rapists complaining that they're on the sex offender registry can piss off.
    Last edited by Endus; 2015-11-13 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This doesn't really make sense.

Your first point was that an accusation alone, or being charged, is sufficient to create social backlash, regardless of guilt.

The second point was about abolishing a registry you will only ever be put on if you're convicted of a crime.

They're unrelated.

The only way to deal with the former is to restrict the freedom of speech and freedom of the press, to prevent them reporting on those charges.

And the latter I don't agree is an issue, in the first place. If I have an issue with sex offender registries, it's that crimes like "public urination" get you put on them; actual convicted rapists complaining that they're on the sex offender registry can piss off.
    Admittedly I conflated to the two but lets focus on the main one I should of been more clear.

If the accusation is enough to inflict harm should the case where the accusation can not be proven also cause harm? At the very least a serious case to sue for libel?

Rape accusations are a very rough thing to make a call on. On one had you want victims to report crimes at all times. On the other their are those who will and have used it as a means to destroy peoples lives.

Its not really a easy thing to make a call on either way. Personally I believe that if they cannot prove the case and the accused can prove damages that where caused to them though the accusation then the accuser should be liable for any and all costs to the accused.