Page 1 of 24
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Is it selfish to not have kids?

Recently I was reading some magazines that stated that people who dont have kids are selfish people by nature,and while I dont have children of my own so I have a biased opinion on the matter,but I wanted to know if others on Gen-Ot have experiences with this sentiment.

Not at all. No one is forced to have kids and if you'd rather live without them then feel free.

No. /characterblahblah.

No, because if you don't want kids, you'd probably suck at raising them. You're doing them a favor by not having them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    Recently I was reading some magazines that stated that people who dont have kids are selfish people by nature,and while I dont have children of my own so I have a biased opinion on the matter,but I wanted to know if others on Gen-Ot have experiences with this sentiment.
    What's more selfish.

Raising a kid you didn't want, ending up resenting him for losing what you wanted in life and making his life worse just because of social pressure.

OR

Not raising a kid, having a good life and not giving a shit about what society want to pressure you into doing.

Pick one.

Since all personal decisions are selfish, it is to a point, but it's also a decision that regardless of which way it's made is predicated on a set of values. Either way no one can force you on that decision so there's no drawbacks to making it except for those that you apply to yourself directly.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    Misunderstanding of causality.

People who don't have kids are selfish. False.
    A selfish person is less likely to want to have kids. True.

Deleted
    No, why would it be?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    More selfish to have kids. There are so many orphans in the world you should adopt instead.
    Not sure why you think people would want to adopt, it's quite clear people don't want to considering how many people are stuck at orphanages and so forth. If I'll get a kid, I want it to be mine. Not someone elses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Your choice. It's selfish to not want to have kids and be with someone who does, and enforcing your view. But that's the only scenario I can think of where it'd be selfish.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what if it is? If I'm a selfish asshole, wouldn't it be a good thing for me not to have kids?

Was this article also written by a white upper-class male? These sorts of things aren't uncommon in circles where you also hear talk of "white genocide".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Like I said. It's more selfish to have kids rather than adopt. Not sure where I implied anyone would want to, but if you're looking to raise children it's the decision that's the least selfish. And the best for the world.
    It's not selfish to want a kid to be yours. I'm not raising someone elses kid.

I find it more selfish to bring a life into this fucked up world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

You know what's selfish? To have a kid when you're barely able to take care of yourself, which happens every day.

7+ Year Old Account
    From a species standpoint, its maladaptive.

From a personal standpoint, reproduction is one of the stupidest things you can possibly do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering my way of turning around, I don't see any selfishness into not having any children. Some simply cannot handle a child, just like how I can't handle a pot plant; give me one and it's doomed many times over. The Doomguard wouldn't even want to guard/attack my pot plant.

Personally, I believe the world should adopt more children as we cannot be shagging around like sheep, we should rather learn to tolerate more and accept the diversities.
    Not accepting diversities is the root to evil after all. (Went off topic, but I had it on my mind)

People are free to do whatever they want, unless they harm other non-participating people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    From a personal standpoint, reproduction is one of the stupidest things you can possibly do.
    Why would it be?

In my opinion, it's selfish to birth kids when there are so many to be adopted, but that doesn't necessarily mean its wrong to have them. It's a lifestyle choice, and I think forcing people to take care of kids when they dont really want to is also selfish because that isnt fair to the kid either. If you dont like kids, dont have them. You can do more good focusing on career and other accomplishments than bogging yourself down with something that doesnt interest you, and that's a totally fair thing to admit for some people.

Nope. There are so many people who shouldn't have children. 9_9

Sterilization was seriously the best decision my husband and I made.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's selfish to have more than 3 kids. Get a fucking cat.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm scared by this question even needed to be answered.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.