Thread: CAD question

CAD question

So I know there has to be somebody here good with CAd. I'm having trouble understanding how to decide where to put my auxiliary view. My instructor isn't good at being helpful about this so I com to the internet for help. How does one decide where to put the auxiliary view on a CAD drawing? I'm working with 2d models. In Draftsight.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I know there has to be somebody here good with CAd. I'm having trouble understanding how to decide where to put my auxiliary view. My instructor isn't good at being helpful about this so I com to the internet for help. How does one decide where to put the auxiliary view on a CAD drawing? I'm working with 2d models. In Draftsight.
    depends on the standard, but since you are from OH, the American view the standard is front view, to the right, right view, to the top top view, and the top right could be what ever like iso, section, detail etc.

As long as you get your projected views right it doesn't matter, just layout out to show it the best way you can, just picture unfolding a box like this

Left-Front-Right
    -----Bottom

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    depends on the standard, but since you are from OH, the American view the standard is front view, to the right, right view, to the top top view, and the top right could be what ever like iso, section, detail etc.

As long as you get your projected views right it doesn't matter, just layout out to show it the best way you can, just picture unfolding a box like this

Left-Front-Right
    -----Bottom
    Right, I understand all of the other views. I just don't understand how far to offset the auxiliary view from the other views.

Forgot to mention Aux views its in line with the plane of your view is usually the best way

- - - Updated - - -

Here I made one for you real fast, hope it make sense

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Right, I understand all of the other views. I just don't understand how far to offset the auxiliary view from the other views.
    Depends on the piece, and the purpose of the drawing. And bear in mind, the auxiliary can be partial and only show the inclined faces if you want. As long as the layout makes it clear what is it you're representing, you should be good.
    Any of these should be acceptable.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-11-13 at 07:22 PM.

i'm genuinely interested in what context you are generating these drawings and why offset matters. I run a design/prototyping department for a company in columbus and these are not things i even think about. or are you talking scale when you say offset? I'm just asking because I see CAD and i think i have relevant knowledge and in this case I do not know. teach me something please.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Depends on the piece, and the purpose of the drawing. And bear in mind, the auxiliary can be partial and only show the inclined faces if you want. As long as the layout makes it clear what is it you're representing, you should be good.
    Any of these should be acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    i'm genuinely interested in what context you are generating these drawings and why offset matters. I run a design/prototyping department for a company in columbus and these are not things i even think about. or are you talking scale when you say offset? I'm just asking because I see CAD and i think i have relevant knowledge and in this case I do not know. teach me something please.
    Basically like the pictures above your post. I'm just confused on how to decide where to put the auxiliary view. nextormento basically explained it to me now. Thanks guys for the answers.