Twice as likely to die from pregnancy- or childbirth-related causes in US than Canada

Women are twice as likely to die from pregnancy- or childbirth-related causes in the United States than in Canada, a report issued Thursday from the UN and the World Bank says.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle27226436/

Best healthcare in the world, if you can afford it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post

You heard it here, folks. Please, feel free to move. Buh-bye!

Wonder how much of this is due to the increase in people wanting home births. 14 deaths per 100,000 is so small any little change can bump it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    You heard it here, folks. Please, feel free to move. Buh-bye!
    Why wouldn't you want your country to be better?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamorallo View Post
    Wonder how much of this is due to the increase in people wanting home births. 14 deaths per 100,000 is so small any little change can bump it.
    I would think a great deal. Its not just the deeply religious people, but the hippy new age people as well.

It certainly isn't lack of hospital care (at birth) or quality of hospitals. I will agree that poor women have a distinct lack of prenatal care, but even a pregnant homeless woman can walk into an emergency room when she goes into labor and they will deliver the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    It certainly isn't lack of hospital care (at birth) or quality of hospitals.
    It's a possibility. There are many states where a late-term pregnancy can't be terminated even when the mother's life is endangered, so she'll have to find the means to travel to another state if she wants to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a possibility. There are many states where a late-term pregnancy can't be terminated even when the mother's life is endangered, so she'll have to find the means to travel to another state if she wants to live.
    Not necessarily states, but hospitals.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2636458/

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I would think a great deal. Its not just the deeply religious people, but the hippy new age people as well.

It certainly isn't lack of hospital care (at birth) or quality of hospitals. I will agree that poor women have a distinct lack of prenatal care, but even a pregnant homeless woman can walk into an emergency room when she goes into labor and they will deliver the baby.
    You'd be surprised at how many mothers are "forced" into being induced because the doctors say so. Inducing a mother isn't safe for baby or mother, unless the mother is already high risk. If the baby isn't ready to come out, forcing it with artificial hormones and breaking the waters is certainly not quality health care. But oh no, mother is 41 weeks! Time to sound the alarm, because apparently baby didn't get the memo that he was supposed to be born last week. Get with the program, amirite?

Seriously, though, the American way to handle pregnant women and babies is pretty appalling compared to Germany and many other European states, and it's all because money is made from the NICU and pumping out babies like the labor and delivery ward is a pez dispenser. The quicker the birth, the more convenient for the doctor, despite the health risks.

This is coming from a woman who gave birth 10 months ago and is studying to become a Lactation Consultant.

P.S. home birth is not the cause of high infant mortality rates. Sure, there are a few wack jobs that don't do the proper preparation for a home birth, but if you have a certified midwife/doula and take classes and inform yourself, home birth can be just as safe as a hospital birth especially considering you're not forced to stay on your back in bed - which is the WORST way to labor - because the doctors insist on keeping your arm attached to a pitocin drip and a blood pressure monitor. This is all assuming a low risk birth from a healthy mother. Special cases don't count because they're special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.