Thread: Minimum wage

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Actually, since the ACA was released, the work week for many have gone down.

The local Walmart caps at 32 hours per week and you can get wrote up and fired for going over it. Had a friend get chewed out over 10 minutes of overtime over the course of a week, the local credit union and Bojangles both cap out at 20 hours per week for all but the managers and so on.

All they have to do is change where the overtime pay kicks in and the companies will do the rest themselves trying to dodge it.
    The work week hasn't gone down, you just need more than one job to make a living wage. There's a difference.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    The work week hasn't gone down, you just need more than one job to make a living wage. There's a difference.
    And if they adjusted minimum wage and when overtime kicks in, they could fix that loophole and force the companies to take care of their employees.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Deleted
    Actually there was a time both conservators and liberals agreed that minimum wage is useless and bad for jobs. Overall I do think minimum wage does more harm than good in today's economy. I'm not opossing a minimum wage in the public sector tho, there is where the state can decide w/e it likes since he is the employer. But for the private sector is murder!

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    Actually there was a time both conservators and liberals agreed that minimum wage is useless and bad for jobs. Overall I do think minimum wage does more harm than good in today's economy. I'm not opossing a minimum wage in the public sector tho, there is where the state can decide w/e it likes since he is the employer. But for the private sector is murder!
    Watched about half the video, very short sighted video, can see why they changed their views since then.

Overall, I personally see minimum wage as doing a very good service when done correctly. Paying your employees less than it costs to support them is paying them less than they are worth and generally means the employer is exploiting either their ignorance or desperation just for any level of income.

And any job that isn't paying a living wage is doing neither this nation or it's people any good in the long run. I would rather have more unemployed with those working not requiring welfare to survive than more working and all of them still requiring welfare.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    And any job that isn't paying a living wage is doing neither this nation or it's people any good in the long run. I would rather have more unemployed with those working not requiring welfare to survive than more working and all of them still requiring welfare.
    The issue is a lot of entry-level jobs can be below your "living wage" since they can live cheap and it's mostly to be that "first job". Under current law even if the employee agreed with the employer at a $7 per hour pay if the minimum wage is $10 per hour the employer can't legally hire him. So tell me how is that a democracy then? There are cases, there are people that would like to work for that ammount since they know the next job will pay better and so on, once they get experience.

But the mimimum wage is killing that. So just like in the video what's the point of the citizen knowing he will be paid a minimum $X ammount per hour if he doesn't get a job?!

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    The issue is a lot of entry-level jobs can be below your "living wage" since they can live cheap and it's mostly to be that "first job". Under current law even if the employee agreed with the employer at a $7 per hour pay if the minimum wage is $10 per hour the employer can't legally hire him. So tell me how is that a democracy then? There are cases, there are people that would like to work for that ammount since they know the next job will pay better and so on, once they get experience.

But the mimimum wage is killing that. So just like in the video what's the point of the citizen knowing he will be paid $X ammount per hour if he doesn't get a job?!
    Not even entry level jobs should be below the average living wage for that area. If they are still to the point they don't need a living wage, than they are probably more than likely asking for part-time anyways.

It isn't democracy when you are forced to take a $7 an hour wage even though it costs more than that just to survive because the employers have you over a barrel.

There are people who would willingly work for $2 an hour just because they are that desperate for meal that day, that doesn't mean we should allow them to lower the jobs pay scale to that level.

Like I said, in the bigger picture of the nation, allowing companies to pay less than a living wage is doing neither this nation or it's people a whole any good and is actually making things worse.

Edit: And on this note, I am going to bed. Good night. Just realized it is almost 4am.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    The same is said for the price of labor, doubly so. Laborers race to the bottom by always negotiating lower than the next applicant, but also companies better compete when paying lower wages. If my company is paying a fair wage, I can't compete as well as the company across the street paying less, and the economic benefits that are created by my fair wages still benefit the company across the street. A minimum wage stops this from happening.
    Yes you can. It all depends on the value of the employee. As in how much does he bring into your business. If the employee brings let's say $20/h but he's paid only $5/h atm then the business down the street will offer him maybe $10/h to come and work for him. The race then it's not "to the bottom" but rather who get's the best employees!

Fact still remains the ones getting paid minimum wage today are poor to no skill jobs, jobs that by any standards should already be obsoleate due to automatization, but are kept because of tradition and govt. subsidies. You need a fast-food clerk when a touchscreen tablet with the menu can take orders easier, cheaper. You have the clerk because "that's how it always been" and because some clients like the human interaction.

Deleted
    I've always seen work and income as a ladder to climb. You start at the bottom and get paid peanuts for doing unskilled work.
    Develop yourself and you can climb and collect higher pay.

If you stay at the bottom, why should you be rewarded more than you are worth on the marketplace?

The difference is having to work two or three jobs, as employers are dodging overtime laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I've always seen work and income as a ladder to climb. You start at the bottom and get paid peanuts for doing unskilled work.

If you stay at the bottom, why should you be rewarded more than you are worth on the marketplace?
    I've always seen work as a means of living. If you're working 35-40 hours per week, you should be able to afford basic clothing, shelter, food, transportation, and perhaps some entertainment. At a minimum.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I like Ben Carson's minimum wage plan:

Carson then interjected that he was—in fact—”probably” or “possibly” in favor of raising the federal rate. “I think we need to get both sides of this issue to sit down and talk … and negotiate a reasonable minimum wage.”

With that statement, Carson put some space between himself and the rest of the GOP presidential field. Supporting an increase of the wage floor, in and of itself, is out of character for a Republican. The party loyal typically take the stance that market forces—not the federal government—should dictate how much employers pay their workers.
    But Carson wasn’t done. He dropped an even bigger bombshell: “And we should index [the new federal minimum wage] so that we never have to have this conversation again in the history of America.”

So not only would Carson be in favor of setting a new minimum wage, he would support an increase of that wage automatically every year by tying it—presumably—to inflation. He also mentioned having two tiers of the federal minimum wage, one normal rate and a lower one for younger workers.

Carson thinks a lot of problems through while the other politicians speak in politicalease and don't commit to anything. I like that.
    Only one problem. He has since reversed his stance on raising the minimum wage.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...-minimum-wage/
    http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...y-and-not-give

He now says that he would not raise the minimum wage, because it would increase the number of jobless people, particularly in the black community.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2015-11-15 at 10:08 AM.

A person's worth on the market should inherently be no less than it takes to keep them fed, clothed, and sheltered. If you can't pay your workers that much, your business model is shit.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I've always seen work as a means of living. If you're working 35-40 hours per week, you should be able to afford basic clothing, shelter, food, transportation, and perhaps some entertainment. At a minimum.
    That's a political view though and not one a business owner cares about (most of the time).

Maybe one day the gouvernment(s) change laws and force businesses to pay more, or maybe not.
    Do you want to wait for that moment as a minimum wage employee? Or would you work towards earning a higher income regardless of what others decide to do, or not do?

The presurre might also be on the coming decades, when a large portion of the entry level jobs can be replaced by automated replacements.

That's a political view though and not one a business owner cares about (most of the time).

Maybe one day the gouvernment(s) change laws and force businesses to pay more, or maybe not.
    Do you want to wait for that moment as a minimum wage employee? Or would you work towards earning a higher income regardless of what others decide to do, or not do?

The presurre might also be on the coming decades, when a large portion of the entry level jobs can be replaced by automated replacements.
    You do realise that not everyone can get "A Better Job"

minimum wage should be a liveable wage and that was its original intent. Overtime everything cost more but wage stayed down. Hell my GF works at a store and is making the max she can there. If she switched to another job to try to make more she would lose more then its worth. The current system is a dam joke and how anyone can defend it is byound me.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Do you have any literal idea how difficult it is to make two jobs function at the same time? That's like asking two politicians to function at the same time. The only time they do is when they both get a win win.

Not to mention people living in a first world country, regardless of class, shouldn't have to work 50+ hours a week just to afford the bare minimum of the ridiculously inflated prices of rent, utilities and food. This is the year 2015 and people are still thinking that an 1860's style work place regulation is a good idea.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realise that not everyone can get "A Better Job"

minimum wage should be a liveable wage and that was its original intent. Overtime everything cost more but wage stayed down. Hell my GF works at a store and is making the max she can there. If she switched to another job to try to make more she would lose more then its worth. The current system is a dam joke and how anyone can defend it is byound me.
    I'm not defending it at all. I pay my own employees way above market average, from the office manager to the interns.

You claim that a a minimum age should provide you ith a minimum life standard and that's again a political view. Business owners generally don't care about that less they are forced to do so by the gouvernment and even then some will find another way to get it done for less.

You also state that your girlfriend can't hang jobs becaue she would lose more than she would gain. How so? Tat's a genuine, honest question.

I'm not defending it at all. I pay my own employees way above market average, from the office manager to the interns.

You claim that a a minimum age should provide you ith a minimum life standard and that's again a political view.
    It's not a political view. It's a humane view.

Being a decent human being has nothing to do with politics.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

You claim that a a minimum age should provide you ith a minimum life standard and that's again a political view. Business owners generally don't care about that less they are forced to do so by the gouvernment and even then some will find another way to get it done for less.

You also state that your girlfriend can't hang jobs becaue she would lose more than she would gain. How so? Tat's a genuine, honest question.
    In order for her to get into a job where she could make more it would require her making less at first. She would also lose healthcare and since her current job has a union she is more likely to keep her job where she is at then somewhere else.

They can't just up and lay her off at her current job. She makes $14 a hr pays union dues and healthcare and can barely offored her apparment. Thats working 40hrs a week. Minimum wage should go up because then it would force the wages above it to go up. Business's would make up for it with a raise in there price's.

Not saying they should go up over night but over a couple years. The more the bottom has to spend the more the top will make.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The minimum wage is inherently a political view. That's a given. The purpose of the legal minimum wage is to provide a minimum standard of living.

If you end up in a dead end job, but you've been there a while, your salary can be half-way decent, to the point that starting over at a new company, even one with better advancement opportunities, can be a pay cut for at least a time.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted

It's funny people would argue for minimum wage + unemployemnt but dislike the idea of no minimum wage, lower pay + employee state subsidies. I mean the first version gives a few chance for a job while keeping the rest at home doing nothing just collecting a welfare paycheck while the rest has everyone working and earning experience so the next job they will get pays better.

What everyone has to understand is, you need to always work! A person not employed is bad for society and any money he get's to stay at home doesn't solve the issue.

What's good a set minimum wage for the young african-american citizen when he is unemployed?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    You know I started thinking. Everyone's asking for 15 minimum wage. Why can't we have 50 dollar minimum wage. Why can't we have the mentality of go big or go home. Free everything for everybody, as well while we're at it. Help the poor out who truly needs the help. Get rid of the greedy 1%'ers
    Way to completely misunderstand what we want of the minimum wage.

We want a minimum wage that covers basic living expenses. That wage would be $10-15 depending on where you live. We also know that a wage increase brings about a small price increase, so keeping the wage at around $10-15 and not $50 keeps prices low while still generating a quality of life increase.

But why try actually understanding what liberals want when you can just rant about the misconceptions in your head?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I like how people like the OP take it from "a person should be able to make a living wage" to "FREE STUFF FOR EVERYONE!!!" Get a grip.

I'm still waiting for all the free stuff Republicans told me that Obama promised to give me. What's the deal, man?
    Apparently there's some sort of phone? I haven't gotten one yet.

Vote Vermin Supreme, a pony for every American
    Putin khuliyo