Thread: Minimum wage

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Quality Manager for a power sports company.
    Seen some good manager jobs, seen some crap ones.

My (now-late) cousin had a decent one as a government contractor for the longest time. He puled in a little over $35 an hour doing quality control on transmissions for military trucks.

Then my old manager at JiffyLube was salaried at 48 hours per week and it broke down to about $10 per hour.

Then my old managers at Walmart, the hourly manager was only making $10 an hour and I watched them force him to take a 3 hour break once because they didn't want him to get overtime but still wanted him there for the start and end of the shift.

Then we had the hourly Walmart managers who averages $15 an hour or less while being salaried on a 48 hour paycheck while actually being forced to work a minimum of 52 hours per week because they were not allowed to leave on time EVER.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Does that company have a Union? If it does, than he is getting what the Union negotiated for because they aren't allowed to give only union the benefits I believe.
    Yeah, we have a union. And no, the guys not in the union are not getting negotiated benefits. Our contract covers union member wages, vacation and seniority. Everything else is governed by the employer's policies and is marked as such in the contract.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    So not much different than in Sweden in that regard.
    The right at its very core and original political position is all about wealth INequality, the right was composed of lords and nobility.

The right worships the wealthy, and thinks they'll be the ones to make it. They'll keep preaching that wealth inequality isn't a problem. At least until they suddenly find themselves as the peasants.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Yeah, we have a union. And no, the guys not in the union are not getting negotiated benefits. Our contract basically covers union member wages, vacation and seniority. Everything else is governed by the employer's policies and is marked as such in the contract.
    You are lucky then, most of the ones I have seen in the surrounding area, anything the Union negotiates, the companies make sure to give it to the non-union members too. Figured it was a legal thing, guess not.

Guessing they only do that to make sure to keep the unions from getting support.

What area you live in? I personally live in North Carolina, in the Hope Mills, Fayetteville area, right near Fort Bragg.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    They'll keep preaching that wealth inequality isn't a problem. At least until they suddenly find themselves as the peasants.
    And the left will keep preaching that "ITZ NOT FARE!!1" to get the peasants vote, all while taking just as much, if not more, from those "evil" wealthy people.

You are lucky then, most of the ones I have seen in the surrounding area, anything the Union negotiates, the companies make sure to give it to the non-union members too. Figured it was a legal thing, guess not.
    It might be a "default" thing, unless otherwise negotiated.

Guessing they only do that to make sure to keep the unions from getting support.
    The contract was negotiated in part to ensure we actually kept our jobs. Plus the asshole who negotiated it only cared about his seniority and vacation so we lost arbitration in the process. But I'll be negotiating the next one. We try to keep it... "casual" with the employer.

What area you live in? I personally live in North Carolina, in the Hope Mills, Fayetteville area, right now Fort Bragg.
    Small town near KCMO.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2015-11-20 at 07:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the left will keep preaching that "ITZ NOT FARE!!1" to get the peasants vote, all while taking just as much, if not more, from those "evil" wealthy people.
    Right because an alleged Union Worker who attacks other forms of Labor is considered a good guy?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Deleted: Not worth stating.

AFK and off to bed.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2015-11-20 at 07:40 AM.

We live in communities. I'm not wealthy, but I understand the importance of my neighbors. Within stumbling distance of my upper-middle white hood I have a huge black hood, one of the biggest asian hoods outside of asia, and essentially little Mexico. Their health is my health.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    We live in communities. I'm not wealthy, but I understand the importance of my neighbors. Within stumbling distance of my upper-middle white hood I have a huge black hood, one of the biggest asian hoods outside of asia, and essentially little Mexico. Their health is my health.
    You sound scared.

You sound scared.
    Not at all. My point was that we live in communities.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, looking at things you didn't invent, manufacture, or package. /highfive.
    I spend most of my time engineering actually.

Minimum wage shall not only not be raised but it should be lowered. We have had a mass influx of cheap and its time that we used that resource. All work should be done on a bidding process. If this guy will bust his ass for 3 bucks an hour, why would I want the guy who wants 15 bucks an hour plus benefits and safe space time out?.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfieke View Post
    Every time I see people discuss stuff like this I really get annoyed by the words "unskilled labor" . I know some jobs require 0 skill , that's true but I can guarantee u that most "high skilled" people like u would call them wouldn't be able to work for 1 day at jobs that they consider "low skilled" . Alot of the "unskilled jobs" require more skill then the higher payed people , yes those people went to school and shit but in the end they need alot less skill then those working their butts off for a minimum wage .

I'll give u 1 simple example : Picking upthe trash seems like an unskilled job and it sort of is but more then 50 % of people won't be able to do that job because it's hard work . Or another example would be working in a factory where u have to put 60 empty bottles per minute on a band (not sure if it's right word in english) and I can guarantee u those factories have a very hard time finding people who can keep up with it and still they pay them minimum wage , how does that make sense to u then ?

It's not coz it's a different skill and requires less studying that it requires less skill .
    That show Undercover Boss shows this... ^^^

7+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. My point was that we live in communities.
    Yeah, well, I'm good as long as they stay off my lawn. That's what rock salt shells are for. /s

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Minimum wage shall not only not be raised but it should be lowered. We have had a mass influx of cheap and its time that we used that resource. All work should be done on a bidding process. If this guy will bust his ass for 3 bucks an hour, why would I want the guy who wants 15 bucks an hour plus benefits and safe space time out?.
    Sounds like a super way to keep more and more people on the government tit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Yeah, well, I'm good as long as they stay off my lawn. That's what rock salt shells are for. /s
    Most of the people who wander on to my lawn are middle aged white women walking their dogs. Shall I shoot first?

The black folks are at least polite enough to ask before they step on private property.

I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Sounds like a super way to keep more and more people on the government tit.
    Part 2 of the story is that welfare as we know it is eliminated. Now it becomes riding a stationary bike to generate electricity for 8 hrs per day. Its not only green but it also combats obesity in the poor community. Anyone can come in, there are no time sheets or job offers. You ride the bike and get paid per minute. That is the new welfare system.

7+ Year Old Account
    Most of the people who wander on to my lawn are middle aged white women walking their dogs. Shall I shoot first?
    Aw shit. Literally. They're letting their crotch warmers shit on your yard. Just don't shoot if they're hot.

The black folks are at least polite enough to ask before they step on private property.
    I should probably clarify: The "on my lawn" was in reference to neighbor kids, per the grump old man stereotype.

Aw shit. Literally. They're letting their crotch warmers shit on your yard. Just don't shoot if they're hot.
    /locked
    /loaded
    /aimed

Oh shit, she's a 7/10, hold fire hold fire!

So like, what does this have to do with min wage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    And your politicians shitting on them in the past, idk about now.
    Nope, they're still at it, with the "right to work" laws being pushed, among others.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters