Upgrading my gaming desktop (Sound Card question too)

Hello guys, it's that time of the year! Time to panic cause your computer just falls apart and instead of just fixing it you just decide to upgrade it too!
    Which also means time to come here and ask questions!

Anyways this is my desktop as it is:

CPU: Inter I7-3820 @ 3.6GHz
    CPU Cooler: Not sure.
    Motherboard: ASUS P9X79
    Memory: 16gb Ram. (Can't remember the exact speed and brand but think 4x4 Gskill)
    Storage: 1TB Samsumg HDD
    Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 670
    Power Supply: M2 Silent Pro 850W for Power Supply

The upgrade parts I wanted are already shipped my way
    Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970
    Storage 2: Samsumg SSD 850 PRO 512gb

I also possess a A50 (which may or may not be drawing its last breaths) and am looking over Sennheiser Game Zero headset.

Regardless if buying another headset, I plan on buying a sound card. I can replace parts on a computer etc, but the details on matching parts and etc I do not really get it (aka worry too much).

So are there any recommendations for the sound card? One that matches with my setup...if that's even a thing..
    I am assuming I would just have to install the hardware and it will do everything from there (to make the sound quality better)? Or is there a more intricate setup?

PS: I am not really on a budget but don't want to spend absurd amounts of money on this. Just want to get the full potential sound from my headsets.

Also, going forward with this setup. I would upgrade the CPU, right? If so don't be shy! Drop a suggestion of an upgrade! Christmas is just around the corner (that is if it's even worth it to upgrade it. Right now I just game, fallout 4, gw2, etc, but would like to get into streaming eventually)

As for the rest is fairly up-to-date yes?

I appreciate your efforts if you have read all this non-sense. I often feel redundant asking questions and trying to explain what Im trying to ask, cause even that Im not sure haha. Appreciate any insights and directions!
    Last edited by Zilong; 2015-11-16 at 09:37 AM.

Soundcards are usually easy enough to install, just chuck it in a free PCI-E slot, turn of your onboard sound in bios and install drivers in windows and you should be good to go.

I have been using creative soundcards my whole life, started with a soundblaster 16 waaaaay back, still using a X-fi titanium fatality atm, Asus also makes decent soundcards, it's kinda personall preference which you want, other people will just get an external dac to clear up their sound and drive their headphones.

Deleted
    i have the sennheiser game zero , fantastic headset with incredible mic, if you dont care about the price ( because a lot of people complain about the price tag) they are totally worth it, BUT u need an sound card with amplifier minimum for 150 ohms, otherwise u wont be able to run them , and without the amp they are going to sound low and that u might think they are crap , and for this i would recommend a dac/amp; btw i bought my pair last year during cybermonday (next 30 november) at half of the price in amazon

You cant just "upgrade the CPU" in a rig this old, unfortunately. It would need a complete overhaul - CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. New GPU will do you fine, at 1080p/Ultra/60fps.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate the help.. although I still have a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Soundcards are usually easy enough to install, just chuck it in a free PCI-E slot, turn of your onboard sound in bios and install drivers in windows and you should be good to go.

I have been using creative soundcards my whole life, started with a soundblaster 16 waaaaay back, still using a X-fi titanium fatality atm, Asus also makes decent soundcards, it's kinda personall preference which you want, other people will just get an external dac to clear up their sound and drive their headphones.
    Sweet. Thanks. I could not find those you mentioned tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
    i have the sennheiser game zero , fantastic headset with incredible mic, if you dont care about the price ( because a lot of people complain about the price tag) they are totally worth it, BUT u need an sound card with amplifier minimum for 150 ohms, otherwise u wont be able to run them , and without the amp they are going to sound low and that u might think they are crap , and for this i would recommend a dac/amp; btw i bought my pair last year during cybermonday (next 30 november) at half of the price in amazon
    Sweet. Any comparison to Astro a50 if you have any idea? This is my second astro and I have been quite disappointed for its price and quality. Probably payed just as much as price tag for Game Zero and my a50 frequently gives me trouble. I want a sound card so when Christmas is up I can get me a Game Zero (assuming it feels/is a bit better than my current a50).

Let me know if this card is okay?
    Creative Sound Blaster Z PCIe 116dB SNR Gaming Sound Card with 600ohm Headphone Amp and Beamforming Microphone
    PCI Express x1 5.1 Channels
    TOSLink Optical Input and Output
    Sound Core3D Processor
    Beamforming Microphone

If that is not a good pick, can anyone provide with other real examples/names? I see its 5.1 and I do not know if that matters or not using headsets, or should be 7.1.
    The price for that one is currently around 104$ which is okay for me.

You mention also needing dac/amp. Is that another accessory to go with the sound card? If possible could you give me an example of a good one? I don't have any personal preferences to brand or w/e. Just looking for an affordable combo of those to heighten my sound experience with my Astro (currently) and whatever I buy next.

But thanks man, I greatly appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You cant just "upgrade the CPU" in a rig this old, unfortunately. It would need a complete overhaul - CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. New GPU will do you fine, at 1080p/Ultra/60fps.
    That's fine. I won't have any compatibility issues with the parts that are coming to me, right? That's the most important thing.