Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Nigerian Solves 156-Year-Old Mathematics Puzzle

I read this earlier today and I thought I'd share it with you guys. I love how he debunked racial stereotypes and is living proof that people of colour can be excellent when given the opportunity.

In what can be regarded as a rare achievement and possible entry in Guinness world of records, a Nigerian scholar, Dr Opeyemi Enoch, has successfully solved the 156 -year- old Riemann Hypothesis, the most important problem in Mathematics.

With this breakthrough, Dr Enoch, who teaches at the Federal University, Oye Ekiti (FUOYE), has become the fourth egghead to resolve one of the seven Millennium Problems in Mathematics.

The Kogi State-born mathematician had, before now, worked on mathematical models and structures for generating electricity from sound, thunder and Oceanic bodies.

A statement in Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital yesterday, said Dr Enoch presentation of the Proof on November 11, 2015 during the International Conference on Mathematics and Computer Science in Vienna, Austria becomes more symbolic coming on the exact day and month 156 years after the problem was delivered by a German Mathematician in 1859.
    The Riemann Zeta Hypothesis is one of the seven Millennium problems set forth by the Clay Mathematics Institute with a million Dollar reward for each solved problem for the past 16 years.

The statement reads in part, "Dr Enoch first investigated and then established the claims of Riemann. He went on to consider and to correct the misconceptions that were communicated by Mathematicians in the past generations, thus paving way for his solutions and proofs to be established.

"He also showed how other problems of this kind can be formulated and obtained the matrix that Hilbert and Poly predicted will give these undiscovered solutions. He revealed how these solutions are applicable in cryptography, quantum information science and in quantum computers."

Three of the problems had been solved and the prizes given to the winners. This makes it the fourth to be solved of all the seven problems
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201511160834.html

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty neat.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

What a strange problem. I immediately thought of Riemann sums. I have no idea what this problem is and what the application would be for though. I am just a lowly middle school math teacher though.

Debunked racial stereotypes?

15+ Year Old Account
    Very cool

Dr Enoch had previously designed a prototype of a silo for peasant farmers and also discovered a scientific technique for detecting and tracking someone on an evil mission.
    O.o

Wow he solved one of the Millenium Prize Problems. He's a living god.

Since you insist on making this about race - the racial stereotype isn't as much about capacity/capability or that no person of 'X' population can be 'Y', but about average population differences and the question of how much intelligence relies on heredity. Even if those averages were true and constant, people can still be 'excellent' whatever that may be, in different forms, making lots of money, living a happy life, finding love, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Debunked racial stereotypes?

OP thinks the world is still 100 years in the past or something. Since when did people think "people of color" weren't competent?

so should I be amazed he solved it or be amazed a black guy knows math? what's the message your sending here OP?

7+ Year Old Account
    Neil de Grasse
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

As if it needed debunking. Talking about race when it's not needed is one of my pet peeves. The guy has a brilliant mind, leave it at that.

Proofs are frequently reported, papers written, conferences held, and eventually turn out to be incorrect.
    I'll remain skeptical until more technical details are released.
    Also, only 1 of the 7 problems is solved: The article in the OP doesn't appear to know what they're talking about. Compounded with the other scientific ventures reported, this is very fishy.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-11-16 at 10:41 PM.

Googled the hypothesis. Understand absolutely nothing of it!

Also what is up with saying "people of color" how is it any different from "colored people" and why are we lumping everyone into white and "not white" all of a sudden. Cant we just call him black, African or Nigerian or whatever?

The guy is obviously a genius, and kudos to him.

That said, the article showcase a discutable mastery of English...

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a load of bullshit.

Simple Google search shows that Dr. Enoch did not solve the problem. He merely presented an argument for others to look at zeta functions. He contributed nothing new to what mathematicians already knew.

In order to help get the proof out of Nigeria, please send $1000 to...
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Why you gotta make everything racist shinra?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

This just in, racial stereotypes finally "debunked" because Nigerian solves math problem.