Thread: War Or Ret

War Or Ret

I played Arms war for about 5 years now and always loved it, however since WoD i cannot stand arms play style and PvP just makes me want to cry now a days...I boosted a Ret the other day and I'm enjoying the play style alot. Any other Arms people not feeling it anymore? How is Ret in PvP?

Deleted
    i'd probably ask how ret is on the paladin forum, as most warriors will either:

a) tell you to reroll ret because warrior is underdog
    b) not know how good ret is in pvp

Deleted
    In WoD... Currently ret have like one good comp, and warriors have a few more. But if you enjoy ret more, then by all means

ret is pretty bad they only have ret/hunter/sham as the only good comp even even then.....they get owned by every magedruid, every lock, every feral umm yeah nah theyre pretty crao

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    PvP in this game is garbage. Why would you play WoW specifically for its PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by mrchee View Post
    PvP in this game is garbage. Why would you play WoW specifically for its PvP?
    Pretty much my sentiments. Choosing a class based on which one performs well in PvP is dumb since the PVP in this game is total trash. The only PVP worth doing is just casual battlegrounds and shit when you're bored. Anything serious is going to be a waste of time.

That being said, paladins have a better skillset for just doing random battlegrounds. You can heal people, bubble people, ranged stun, stuff like that. Warrior has less group utility and needs a pocket healer to stay up like a ret in a BG.

Borrowing the thread, anyone one know who's stronger on single target and cleave pve? I know Fury is beasts on aoe

Deleted
    PvP in WoW is unique as in nothing gives the same mechanics and the way to play the game. You'd be surprised on how simple and smooth its system can be on a pure arena environment.
    Some servers almost made a moba out of s8, with the proper polishing.

Anyways, as of now Ret is enjoyable, and yes, I got a good kick out of Ret aswell. Felt more Warrior than this iteration of Arms in some circumstances.
    Still there's no way Ret can hold anything about Warriors for me, simply due to affection to the class and loyalty, as silly as it sounds. Which is what carried me through the entirety of WoD.
    But I digress.

Rets are good if you can find someone to play with that's good aswell. Its strenghts lie in the ability of making those who he plays with able to perform exponentially better.
    I played some Ret X and Disc Ret Arms, and the difference on having a Ret allowing you to do some more stuff, or offhealing in 3s, or just having the vision to throw the right buff or cd at the right time can make or break some matches.

Class in itself suffers a lot from the issues it always had, namely no dispel protection, kitable to the end of the world, no proper damage outside of its big cooldowns and extremely susceptible to gibs outside of Bubble's cooldown or inside Forbearance.

If you like the idea of a supportive class, then give Ret a try. Find yourself a Rogue and/or a Hunter, cook it up with a Restoshaman and you're golden.

@Euroguy,
    there's a number of stickies for that. Browse those.

Quote Originally Posted by iFool View Post
    @Euroguy,
    there's a number of stickies for that. Browse those.
    There isnt

"It's always a good time to be a (prot) warrior." - Sco, #1 at everything.

Edit: Seriously though, seems a weird question for warrior forums. We all hated WoD arms universally if that's the confirmation you're looking for. Not terribly qualified to comment on ret pvp and neither is anyone else until late beta...

Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    Borrowing the thread, anyone one know who's stronger on single target and cleave pve? I know Fury is beasts on aoe
    http://www.simulationcraft.org/

If you're thinking for Legion as far as playstyle goes Ret appears to be following the CS smash window pool-burst playstyle of Arms warriors.

Hey Crown. I pvp ret and I will agree its fun in Wod. That being said in Legion we are losing Hammer of Wrath. We are also losing a large chunk of our range and becoming a buff bot holy warrior. I will say it looks like Ret will have a much better time surviving in Legion than live, I wouldn't fully count on it.

That being said I am leveling (or boosting) my warrior purely for execute. It's really that big of a deal in PVP, and I know enough people to find a pocket heal. Just an FYI, talents are giving warriors a range execute in PVP http://beta.wowdb.com/pvp-talent-calculator#F

So take that as it may, but I find ret to be more fun in randoms due to having wings up a in battle a lot as they are more spread out but horrible in rated pvp due to waiting for wings to come up and always being in battle...I prefer the pressure a warrior will bring in legion.

I mained Arms in Pandaria, then jumped ship to Ret in WoD, for the same reasons as the OP.

In PvP, Ret is amazing since they have fantastic ranged capabilities despite being melee focused; they need not commit themselves to to moshpit zerg in the middle of a BG or Ashran to deal damage, and their superb healing powers and hands give them great team support. Loving it! Sadly, the ranged aspects of the class are being removed in Legion (according to the dev blogs), so I may end up jumping ship to Guardian Druid this expac because 1. it's basically plays like a warrior and 2. can shapeshift on demand to ranged when necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    If you're thinking for Legion as far as playstyle goes Ret appears to be following the CS smash window pool-burst playstyle of Arms warriors.
    This pretty much. I don't want to me waiting twenty seconds to do something fun for only 4-6 seconds before waiting yet another twenty seconds just for my window of opportunity to go off cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    I mained Arms in Pandaria, then jumped ship to Ret in WoD, for the same reasons as the OP.

In PvP, Ret is amazing since they have fantastic ranged capabilities despite being melee focused; they need not commit themselves to to moshpit zerg in the middle of a BG or Ashran to deal damage, and their superb healing powers and hands give them great team support. Loving it! Sadly, the ranged aspects of the class are being removed in Legion (according to the dev blogs), so I may end up jumping ship to Guardian Druid this expac because 1. it's basically plays like a warrior and 2. can shapeshift on demand to ranged when necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

This pretty much. I don't want to me waiting twenty seconds to do something fun for only 4-6 seconds before waiting yet another twenty seconds just for my window of opportunity to go off cooldown.
    It wont be 20 sec , when u have abilities that can reset the cd of it. I know its only really 1 ability atm , but that will probably change over the course of the beta.I have high hopes for arms in legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Enril View Post
    It wont be 20 sec , when u have abilities that can reset the cd of it. I know its only really 1 ability atm , but that will probably change over the course of the beta.I have high hopes for arms in legion.
    For Arms this is true, also I THINK there will come a time when for Arms warriors once you achieve a specific mastery breakpoint you'll want CS up 100% of the time and will take that 50% less buff, 200% duration. I think it'll be a talent mostly for single target boss fights really where you can maintain that CS on just one nerd.

For Ret though you're not going to want to have your judgments resetting since you don't get the same benefit from the debuff as you do a CS debuff. Specifically CS effects white damage, Judgment only works on holy power generators and consumers. So there may be other paladin abilities as well that damage but won't benefit.