10+ Year Old Account

Can new PvP sytem make Tanks balanced and viable?

Hello,

Although I no longer WoW myself, I still keep an eye on changes in future expansions. Obviously this new PvP system can be something a lot of people have been asking for if done right, but I don't to talk about this.

I know it is controversial to talk about Tanks in PvP, but I think this new system can make them more balanced and therefore viable. Tanks were always designed to take massive damage from bosses which made them annoying unconquerable obstacles serving very little purpose outside their niche situations.

For example in Heroes of the Storm a Warrior role can be divided into Bruisers and actual Tanks. I think we can leave out Bruiser as Warriors, Death Knights and Paladins can already fill this role in my opinion. In HotS a Tank is serving as a disruptive factor in offense and defense as they have a lot of CC. I really enjoy this playstyle and was wondering if this could be translated into WoW with the new PvP system.

I know a lot of people hated Tanks in past, but what if their defenses could be toned down and rest of their toolkit adjusted to fulfill this disruptive role?

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing with WoW is that players are inherently tanky already with self heals, defensive CDs and with healers being so incredibly strong. This is primarily because of the trinity system.

MOBAs however don't exactly follow the trinity system of MMORPGs and have a bit more variety in roles. That's because there often aren't champions/hero's that can heal others infinitely and champions/hero's don't often have numerous defensive CDs andself heals.

Now back to MMOs where a squishy target is already survivable enough through healers, adding a tank to that just makes for unfun, and gameplay which isn't easily countered. Unless Blizzard makes healers less effective and overall damage higher, I would not want to face a tank ever.

And if anything, the current melee, or rather plate wearers in WoW, already fill the roll of a tank from MOBAs.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2015-11-17 at 04:57 PM.