Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[TV] Fargo Season 2

Just realized what a travesty it was that there was no active thread for Fargo, which I believe is by far the best show currently on TV, and also the most underrated. Since this is an anthology series and the second season is only loosely connected to the first, I thought it would be fine to start a new thread rather than necro the old season 1 thread.

Very loosely, the only characters in common are Lou Solverson and his daughter Molly.

Deleted
    I'm starting to catch up on this - watched two episodes so far. It's very promising. The cast is to die for and it feels more like the movie Fargo, whereas season 1 felt more like "No Country for Old Men". The police are smarter; the criminals less demonic.

I think it may have switched places with True Detective. In Season 1, TD outshone Fargo by quite a bit. I suspect in Season 2, the opposite will be true.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I think it may have switched places with True Detective. In Season 1, TD outshone Fargo by quite a bit. I suspect in Season 2, the opposite will be true.
    Eh. I've always been of the opinion that True Detective S1 was incredibly overrated. It was really good for the first 5 episodes, then went downhill pretty rapidly after that. Shows should improve as a season progresses, which Fargo did. The people behind True Detective also failed to recognize what it was that people liked so much about the first chunk of the story (based on interviews they did when the first season was airing), so I wasn't surprised that Season 2 was so poorly received.

Frankly, Fargo's biggest hurdle last year was that TD was dominating all of the conversation, so a lot of people overlooked it. Now that the jury's pretty much out on their respective second seasons, I really hope people start checking it out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    to recognize what it was that people liked so much about the first chunk of the story ....
    What I liked about TD Season 1 - aside from the Gothic aspects - was mainly the Russ dialogue, brilliantly satirized here by Pete Holmes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W6g0PS_zvE

Season 2 had rather plodding dialogue and film noire, rather than Gothic, plot elements.

Fargo Season 2 has very nice, Coen-brothers stye, exchanges - so far (episode 3 for me atm) the stand offs between Mike the out of town mobster (aka disco Stu) and the Minnesota policemen are delicious, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo2oq0UktAs

But there's also a lot of plot wheels turning in interesting ways. It's probably the best thing I am watching at the moment (overtaking TWD) and to think, I nearly missed it - I caught the first episode with only 2 hours to go on catch up.
    Last edited by mmoced226c0d6b; 2015-11-21 at 04:57 PM.

I'm actually surprised by Ted Danson's performance so far.

His character is part of the woodwork, and I had to stop and notice how well he "doesn't steal the scene" or draw any undue attention to himself. When he's in a scene with two others, its not "Ted Danson and two other characters", its "Three characters".

Fargo Season 1 had some great/dark humor, but while I miss the humor, I *don't dislike* the choice of tone they've taken for Fargo Season 2.

Its odd, because the pre-season ads really played up the humor... but once I got into the show, I barely even notice the humor. Its still there, I guess.... but it fits in more naturally... whereas season 1 had me having to stop and rewind cuz I'd be laughing so hard at times.

I preferred season 1 more, never really watched any of Billy Bob's movies or heard of him much (he was before my time) but he really killed it as the main villain in the show. He was really funny and very likeable, despite being a twisted sob. Martin Freeman as Lester was amazing too. you feel so bad for the guy then realize hes actually a messed up character. Season 2 is decent as well, but I've enjoyed S1 more so far.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    I preferred season 1 more, never really watched any of Billy Bob's movies or heard of him much (he was before my time) but he really killed it as the main villain in the show. He was really funny and very likeable, despite being a twisted sob.
    I *highly* recommend working your way through Billybob's list of credits then. He's played some amazing roles, and I agree that season 1 was more enjoyable (although I haven't gotten around to the final episodes for whatever reason).

*BUT* had Season 1 cast another actor in his role, I think it would be comparable to what we have in Season 2 (or worse). Even with the darkly hilarious scenes and writing, it takes the right person to pull it off.

I think the cast in season 2 is much better selected and memorable than the cast in season 1 (with the obvious exception of Thornton).

Name me an actor you could picture pulling this scene off. Seriously. I'd like to try and picture someone else doing this scene.
    Last edited by Halicia; 2015-11-22 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I *highly* recommend working your way through Billybob's list of credits then. He's played some amazing roles, and I agree that season 1 was more enjoyable (although I haven't gotten around to the final episodes for whatever reason).

*BUT* had Season 1 cast another actor in his role, I think it would be comparable to what we have in Season 2 (or worse). Even with the darkly hilarious scenes and writing, it takes the right person to pull it off.

I think the cast in season 2 is much better selected and memorable than the cast in season 1 (with the obvious exception of Thornton).

Name me an actor you could picture pulling this scene off. Seriously. I'd like to try and picture someone else doing this scene.
    i'd say heath ledger as the joker in the dark knight, but hes dead so.. its really difficult. Ted danson does nothing for me in Season 2, idk what the hype is about him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    He played the scene brilliantly (and the role in general) but the menacing psycho is not a rare role. His part had strong echoes of Xavier's Bardem's role in No Country for Old Men, who was equally chilling (if less amiable). Tom Cruise played an urbane viper in Collateral. Maybe Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by announced
    I'd say heath ledger as the joker in the dark knight,
    Yeah, that occurred to me, too. My problem with Malvo and Season 1 was just that the role up-turned the show: too omniscient, too omnipotent and too malevolent. If he had turned out to the Devil, like Al Pacino in the Devil's Advocate, then it may have been justified but as for a mere mortal hitman, it just felt artificial, like some silly "Saw" style horror movie. I disliked the Dark Knight, because Heath Ledger's Joker had the same effect on that movie. Great performances, but maybe too great. In a Batman movie, I want a memorable Batman; in a Fargo movie, I want the folksy Minnesota police to be on top of their game.

FX has announced that Fargo has been picked up for a 3rd season

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/farg...fx-1201646886/

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anybody not updated this?

WOW! That last episode! God damn! A masterpiece. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    He played the scene brilliantly (and the role in general) but the menacing psycho is not a rare role. His part had strong echoes of Xavier's Bardem's role in No Country for Old Men, who was equally chilling (if less amiable). Tom Cruise played an urbane viper in Collateral. Maybe Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards.

Yeah, that occurred to me, too. My problem with Malvo and Season 1 was just that the role up-turned the show: too omniscient, too omnipotent and too malevolent. If he had turned out to the Devil, like Al Pacino in the Devil's Advocate, then it may have been justified but as for a mere mortal hitman, it just felt artificial, like some silly "Saw" style horror movie. I disliked the Dark Knight, because Heath Ledger's Joker had the same effect on that movie. Great performances, but maybe too great. In a Batman movie, I want a memorable Batman; in a Fargo movie, I want the folksy Minnesota police to be on top of their game.
    well he was a really really good hitman, he wasnt immortal we was just one of those really clever characters. I agree the police in Season 1 were kinda stupid, but there were some good cops in there as well. however, its a small town and they werent used to having a massacre in the area, I'm sure they werent exactly trained for what can happen and it was really enjoyable regardless.

Regarding S2: I'm surprised Peggy didnt kill Dodd after she zapped him, I mean the man is extremely dangerous but i guess her plan of giving him to Mike means her and her husband wont be responsible for his death or any revenge Gerheart plots.
    Last edited by announced; 2015-11-26 at 12:39 PM.

Man! Peggy was always off, but she's just bat shit crazy now.

That last episode was some of the best TV I've watched in some time.

Fat Matt Damon is really beginning to impress more and more as an actor.

Looks like the recently approved season 3 will take place a few years after season 1, and may have Molly Solverson and Gus Grimly in some capacity.

http://geektyrant.com/news/fargo-sea...after-season-1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Looks like the recently approved season 3 will take place a few years after season 1, and may have Molly Solverson and Gus Grimly in some capacity.
    I'd be ok with that. If anything, I think those two characters were under-used in Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    That last episode was some of the best TV I've watched in some time.

Fat Matt Damon is really beginning to impress more and more as an actor.
    Not really a spoiler, but if ya haven't seen the cabin bit yet... well....

"Seriously, you gotta stop stabbing him"

I keep seeing Fatt Damon pop up in shows I watch (well, not all that many I guess?), but he's grown from being someone in a forgettable sitcom, to a character that I'll remember.

Hopefully Jesse Plemons continues to grow as an actor and pop up in shows/movies I enjoy.

Deleted
    Just watched the penultimate episode - amazing! Best show of the year, imo.

Kirsten Dunst has never been better:

"It's only a UFO, Ed. We gotta go."

The long trailed Sioux Falls massacre was delivered on, albeit leaving us as surprised as Mike Milligan, "Okay, then."

Was pretty cool how the opened the season finale. When Betsy started having these visions and you get to see Lou and Molly from season 1 and their family, I have to say that was quite unexpected.