Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thumbs down Bar at Gym Causing Hand Pain, What to do?

Hey guys,

I've started to work out a bit more now, particularly putting more focus into strength, but I'm having trouble with certain exercises. Deadlift is one example, and it seems like my hands are holding me back because the rough texture of the bar (seriously, it's like a metal file!) is hurting the skin of my hands. I thought at first it was just a grip problem, and it turns out I did use the wrong grip, but whichever grip I use (bar in palm or at base of fingers) it still tears up my hand. It's bad enough to create dry skin, but also little red spots, so almost to the point of bleeding.

The weight of the bar isn't a problem for my other muscles, and I feel I could go higher if it weren't for hand pain. I've tried searching for it but most of the findings have to do with bar placement. Do I just have sensitive hands? What do you recommend I do?
    Last edited by The Boomking; 2015-11-18 at 11:10 PM.

"Hey Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
    "Then stop doing that."

Wear gloves? I recall a comedy skit over this exact situation.

Chalk.

Also, try a hook grip.

We don't think flying makes questing quicker. We think it makes it trivial. There is a difference. Source
    How does flying trivialise this quest?
    Cherry picking data, have a read.

Sounds like you need to use a smoother bar. It shouldnt be damaging your skin even at a higher weight.

I found when I got over 120kg or 240lbs if ur american that the weight of the bar/weights would cause callouses from my skin folding under the weight.

But any kind of rash/skin peeling is from poor equipment.

Also sounds like you need to work on your grip strength before going too heavy with dead lift. You can hurt yourself really easily with dead lift so take it slow and build up

Theres also straps you can buy for like 10 bucks that you wrap around your hands and the bar.

Hi Op,

I'm no skin doctor, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The mesh fabrication on the bar is designed for grip. As the weight increases through repetition, your grip becomes more important. As such, the bar will begin to cause damage to the skin area just before your fingers start resulting in calluses.

Now the dryness of your hands sounds like you should moisturize, and perhaps make sure that they're at least unable to split or crack, because boys does that hurt.

So I'd recommend continuing, and see whether in a couple of weeks your hands start harding themselves to adjust to the new way of living.

If there is still an issue and you're still in trouble, get some weight lifting gloves. Don't be concerned that others may think you're a twat for using them, you're there for you and only you.

Go hard my friend, and good luck
    This is my signature. It states my prediction of the next expansion. Not only is it correct in my eyes, but should also be in yours too.
    Anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot, a bad, and a pleb.

- A Quote from every narcissistic, defiant, self-absorbed theorist on these forums. True story.

I have a simple fix. Next time you go to the gym, leave your vagina at home.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-11-19 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Boomking View Post
    Hey guys,

I've started to work out a bit more now, particularly putting more focus into strength, but I'm having trouble with certain exercises. Deadlift is one example, and it seems like my hands are holding me back because the rough texture of the bar (seriously, it's like a metal file!) is hurting the skin of my hands. I thought at first it was just a grip problem, and it turns out I did use the wrong grip, but whichever grip I use (bar in palm or at base of fingers) it still tears up my hand. It's bad enough to create dry skin, but also little red spots, so almost to the point of bleeding.

The weight of the bar isn't a problem for my other muscles, and I feel I could go higher if it weren't for hand pain. I've tried searching for it but most of the findings have to do with bar placement. Do I just have sensitive hands? What do you recommend I do?
    its called calluses, theyll eventually turn into hard skin and it wont hurt as much anymore, and its part of lifting weights.. you could be a retard and use gloves but id suggest you man up and deal with it

Buy gloves or be a man

10+ Year Old Account
    I recommend gloves.

How severe are your hands getting chewed up? After awhile your hands should toughen up enough that they won't get too bad. These red spots don't sound good, do you have a picture or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't use gloves. Gloves reduce grip. Embrace the callouses; your hands will adapt.

http://stronglifts.com/3-reasons-dea...-gloves-sucks/

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Don't use gloves. Gloves reduce grip. Embrace the callouses; your hands will adapt.

http://stronglifts.com/3-reasons-dea...-gloves-sucks/
    That's just awful advice.

Grip will never be a problem with gloves, you'll always have enough of it as long as your hands aren't itzy bitzy tiny. And even then.

I use these here

http://www.amazon.de/Harbinger-Fitne...ingshandschuhe

Harbinger are pretty good. The grip is just fine and you'll notice how much more comfortable you'll hold onto the bars.

You shouldn't "embrace" the callouses, it makes you hands look horrible, it will drastically reduce the feeling you have in your palms and, generally, women will dislike it like hell.

If you notice issues with grip ( -,- ), just use a Padded Lifting Strap, Harbinger has pretty good ones, too.

http://www.amazon.de/Harbinger-Non-S...4Y56PMV2J2B07P

Most people grip the bar incorrectly, heres a video showing you how to do it the right way to avoid calluses.

Also, just deal with it, you will get used to it eventually. I started off doing olympic weightlifting and we had the roughest eleiko bars that would really fuck up your hands. It really sucked at first but you get used to it. Don't wear gloves it's silly especially for deadlifts. At least that's my opinion. Also chalk helps, or straps, but if you're still a beginner you shouldn't really need these.
    Last edited by aisatsana; 2015-11-23 at 05:09 PM.

Of course your hands will adapt. Everything will adapt at some point. But why would you want to have ugly hands??

Especially as a beginner who isn't into maximum weights where grip becomes a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    That's just awful advice.

Grip will never be a problem with gloves, you'll always have enough of it as long as your hands aren't itzy bitzy tiny. And even then.

I use these here

http://www.amazon.de/Harbinger-Fitne...ingshandschuhe

Harbinger are pretty good. The grip is just fine and you'll notice how much more comfortable you'll hold onto the bars.
    Why is this "awful" advice?

The community is pretty split on gloves. Most gloves will bunch up and slide due to sweat, and I've yet to try a glove that hasn't given me calluses anyway. I've found that when I got rid of gloves, my grip improved (especially on pulling exercises like barbell rows and deadlifts) and my calluses were just something I got used to. Grip is a problem as the weights increase. No matter what gloves you get, in the end, you're gripping the gloves themselves, not the bar. I'd rather put my money on my own hands than a pair of gloves that can quickly wear out and drop 250lbs on my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    You shouldn't "embrace" the callouses, it makes you hands look horrible, it will drastically reduce the feeling you have in your palms and, generally, women will dislike it like hell.
    As a gay man, I can't say I care much about what women think of my hands. However, it's easy to care for your hands even without gloves. Proper lotion (after) as well as shaving down the calluses can keep enough rough skin to prevent pain when gripping but make your hands relatively smooth. No one can tell the difference short of touching the calluses directly; rubbing a leg or arm just feels like a hand touching you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your callouses will grow in time and your grip strength will improve. You can use wrist straps a bit to help you on max lifts but I'd recommend only using them if you really really must. I do not recommend gloves at all as they are a pain in the arse. They get sweaty and shitty, you notice poorer grip form and you start to go backwards on what you can grip with your bare hands (at least for me when I tried for a while). But if having man hands is a problem for you, then by all means use gloves but just be aware of the cons that come with it still.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wrist straps. I had the same issue where it wasn't my grip giving out, but just the bottom of my fingers tearing up (the part just above my calluses). I personally only use them for heavy deadlifts and shrugs and it's been working well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why is this "awful" advice?

The community is pretty split on gloves. Most gloves will bunch up and slide due to sweat, and I've yet to try a glove that hasn't given me calluses anyway. I've found that when I got rid of gloves, my grip improved (especially on pulling exercises like barbell rows and deadlifts) and my calluses were just something I got used to. Grip is a problem as the weights increase. No matter what gloves you get, in the end, you're gripping the gloves themselves, not the bar. I'd rather put my money on my own hands than a pair of gloves that can quickly wear out and drop 250lbs on my feet.
    And as weight increases, the tension on your hands increases as well. If you think it hurts to lift a 14kg dumbbell, have fun doing 40kg for dumbbell benchpresses.

The biggest guys at my gym who press ridiculous amounts of weight use either straps, or some sort of weird looking sponge. So you probably got some merit when you say that gloves tend to be a hindrance. On the other hand, I don't remember seeing them without at least some sort of tool.

rubbing a leg or arm just feels like a hand touching you.
    There I really have to disagree with you. When I started working out I didn't use anything. My hands really quickly turned into sandpaper. The only reason why I started wearing gloves was because my then gf said my hands started to feel disgusting on her. I could literally stick a needle though parts of my palms and fingers and not feel a thing. Lotions and shaving might help, but then you aren't embracing it anymore

Deleted
    Just deal with the calluses. It's part of weight training. If you don't want them in any way then weight training is not for you.
    Every even half serious weight lifter will laugh about people who want to lift heavy but cry about calluses. And I am not talking about 120k deadlifts. Heavy starts at 200+ kg. Before that your hands will not really get worn out as soon as you have decent "protective barrier" on your hands. You should worry about the fact that heavy deadlifts could rip the calluses of your hands, that is where the real fun starts.