Deleted

[1st nerd problem] What to do with the chat-window?

Ok so this has been bothering me for a looong time.

My ui has to be pretty much symmetrical. Apart from the minimap and buffs, i absolutely cant stand my ui to not be symmetrical. If i dont have a target while chatting/whatever, i usually target myself so i have a target and tot frame and my ui is symmetrical.

Now my biggest problem with this is always the chat window. I don't want two chat windows. I don't want some sort of fading chat because i would not notice chat input. I don't want some unimportant damage meter window. At the moment i am using a heavily filtered combat log to create some symmetry, but lets be honest, it really really really does not have any purpose other than being a symmetry-pawn.

How do you people handle this problem?

edit: Current setup
    Last edited by mmoc5d3981592b; 2015-11-19 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
    Ok so this has been bothering me for a looong time.

My ui has to be pretty much symmetrical. Apart from the minimap and buffs, i absolutely cant stand my ui to not be symmetrical. If i dont have a target while chatting/whatever, i usually target myself so i have a target and tot frame and my ui is symmetrical.

Now my biggest problem with this is always the chat window. I don't want two chat windows. I don't want some sort of fading chat because i would not notice chat input. I don't want some unimportant damage meter window. At the moment i am using a heavily filtered combat log to create some symmetry, but lets be honest, it really really really does not have any purpose other than being a symmetry-pawn.

Damage/healing meters in the bottom right corner is probably how most people do it. Just line it up where the 2nd chatbox would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chat window to the left, loot/rep-gain window to the right.

Tukui <3
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Ain't you a goddamn lil whiny bastard?!

You complain about an useless problem and ditch all the simple solutions...sigh...

Possible solutions

Use another chat window and separate chats between them: Left > General, Say, City ; Right > Whisper, Guild, Rep Gains (But you ditched this one);

Remove the chat window frames and background so it stays completely transparent when you're not chatting but it light's up when you receive whisper or alike (Use Prat addon for easyness doing this);

Use meters on the opposite side: Chat on Left and Meters on right (But you also ditched this one);

Re-locate your chat window and center it in your screen, thus creating symmetry. Can either put it above skill bars or under skill bars. You could use "Bartender" to move and resize your bars and "Prat" to even move your chat edit box, so you can center all this stuff.

Deleted
    Well, why is asymmetry OK with the minimap and buffs? Maybe it could be OK with chat for the same reasons, or you could put your chat at the top of your screen instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkao View Post
    Ain't you a goddamn lil whiny bastard?!

You complain about an useless problem and ditch all the simple solutions...sigh...
    What on earth? Are you OK, guy? I mean, I know this forum is not the most helpful place in the world, but that's maybe a little much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constie View Post
    Well, why is asymmetry OK with the minimap and buffs? Maybe it could be OK with chat for the same reasons, or you could put your chat at the top of your screen instead.
    Probably because the minmap and buffs take a relatively small space and/or are not that often looked at.

What about deleting the right Chat window and put your Details! or Skada on this position to create symmetry?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
    You already know how other people handle it and said you didn't like any of the solutions. I'd like to offer something new but cant reinvent the wheel and make it square. Other people from what ive seen over a long time in forums as this either hide chat or chat background when inactive or split channels or combatlog, loot between left and right, use one side for dmg meters or some kind of raid, cooldown frame.