Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well.... what are these increased screenings? Is it doing the same tests again like we have used on the millions of other refugees the U.S has accepted from, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc? Is it new tests that dont actually make us safer, but only make us feel safer (like many of the TSA actions), etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    we have a thorough vetting procces in place, yet we still have people acting like swarms of terrorists are going to slip thorugh undetected for some reason.
    You may be interested in this article in the Washington Post, about as Obama-friendly a newspaper as there has ever been. It cites people like Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and FBI Director James Comey among those warning that there is precious little information to obtain on anyone claiming to be from Syria seeking refuge.

There is nothing "thorough" about the vetting available, in short. There is no way to obtain information about these people from the Syrian government (not that even a majority of "Syrian" "refugees" are actually from Syria -- the phrase "Syrian refugees" also includes people from Mali, Tunisia, Ghana, Somalia, Yemen, Iraq, Bangladesh when used to discuss the horde sweeping into Europe and from which the US is supposed to start skimming), because we have no access to it if it even exists, and our own intelligence services won't have information on them unless they have already been up to no good rather than obvious plants like those who participated in the Paris attacks.

Can we interview them? Yes. Can they lie? Yes. The good guys have to be right 100 times out of 100 to prevent an attack, the bad guys have to be right once.

How about we discuss the screening process?

Seems a bit of a travesty to not be discussing the screening process.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Can someone tell me why these people are coming to America? Wouldn't it just make more sense for our military to set them up in temporary homes in a safe zone until it's safe for them to return home?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    And once again Democrats and Obama are on the wrong side of the majority
    I say the hell with Obama and the democrats let them be on the wrong side of the majority let these refugees come in with their sham so called thorough vetting
    and when we have the inevitable terrorist attack by any of these refugees it will be over for the democrat party with them putting PC above Americas safety
    Once again it is amazing you want to use the polls on the majority when you are in here all day long bitching about Gay Marriage, Gun Laws and Planned Parenthood.

I can't wait for you reply on the made up bullshit you gave me last thread.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Because American voters don't elect presidents. It happens all the time. A candidate wins the majority but still loses since it's the electoral votes that pick the president and vice versa - they lose the majority but still get elected.
    This has happened ONE time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I have confidence in my country who I have 0 confidence in is the current administration they have bold faced lied to many dam times to have any confidence in them taking care of my pet rock let alone my, my families, or countries safety
    they have blatantly demonstrated PC is above all else to them PC trumps all including Americas safety
    what a lost cause you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Can someone tell me why these people are coming to America? Wouldn't it just make more sense for our military to set them up in temporary homes in a safe zone until it's safe for them to return home?
    yeah because these stupid middle eastern wars tend to be real short right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Four times

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    yeah because these stupid middle eastern wars tend to be real short right.
    Calm down, I was asking a serious question. Temporary homes and communities can be done quite nicely and it makes a ton more sense for the US to do this instead of bringing in possible terrorists into our country.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Four, actually. Adams, Hayes, Harrison, and Bush Jr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    They can pull funding
    good luck over riding the veto

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston...erlan_Tsarnaev

The Tsarnaev family emigrated in 2002 to the United States,[17][175][178][179] where they applied for political asylum, settling in Cambridge, Massachusetts.[76] Tamerlan Tsarnaev attended Bunker Hill Community College but dropped out to become a boxer. His goal was a place on the U.S. Olympic boxing team saying that "unless his native Chechnya becomes independent" he would "rather compete for the United States than for Russia".[180][181] He was married on July 15, 2010, in the Masjid Al Quran Mosque[182] in the Dorchester section of the city, to a U.S. citizen, Katherine Russell, who was pregnant with their daughter.[183] He stated that he "didn't understand" Americans and had not a single American friend. He had a history of violence, including an arrest in July 2009 for assaulting his then girlfriend.[184]

The brothers are Muslim, with Tamerlan's aunt stating that he had recently become a devout Muslim.[176][177] Tamerlan, since 2009, became more devout and religious,[185][186] and a YouTube channel in his name linked to Salafist[185] and Islamist[183][187][188] videos. The FBI was informed by the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) in 2011 that he was a "follower of radical Islam."[187] In response, the FBI interviewed Tamerlan and his family, and searched databases, but did not find any evidence of "terrorism activity, domestic or foreign."[189][190][191][192][193][194] During the 2012 trip to Dagestan, Tamerlan was reportedly a frequent visitor at a mosque on Kotrova Street in Makhachkala,[195][196][197] believed by the FSB to be linked with radical Islam.[196] Some experts believe "they were motivated by their faith, apparently an anti-American, radical version of Islam" acquired in the U.S.,[198] while others believe the turn to radicalism happened in Dagestan.[199]

At the time of the bombing, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, with a major in marine biology.[200] Dzhokhar became a naturalized U.S. citizen on September 11, 2012.[201] Tamerlan's boxing coach reported to NBC that the young brother was greatly affected by his brother and admired him.[202][203]
    http://www.snopes.com/tsarnaev-refugees/

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston...erlan_Tsarnaev

The Tsarnaev family emigrated in 2002 to the United States,[17][175][178][179] where they applied for political asylum, settling in Cambridge, Massachusetts.[76] Tamerlan Tsarnaev attended Bunker Hill Community College but dropped out to become a boxer. His goal was a place on the U.S. Olympic boxing team saying that "unless his native Chechnya becomes independent" he would "rather compete for the United States than for Russia".[180][181] He was married on July 15, 2010, in the Masjid Al Quran Mosque[182] in the Dorchester section of the city, to a U.S. citizen, Katherine Russell, who was pregnant with their daughter.[183] He stated that he "didn't understand" Americans and had not a single American friend. He had a history of violence, including an arrest in July 2009 for assaulting his then girlfriend.[184]

The brothers are Muslim, with Tamerlan's aunt stating that he had recently become a devout Muslim.[176][177] Tamerlan, since 2009, became more devout and religious,[185][186] and a YouTube channel in his name linked to Salafist[185] and Islamist[183][187][188] videos. The FBI was informed by the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) in 2011 that he was a "follower of radical Islam."[187] In response, the FBI interviewed Tamerlan and his family, and searched databases, but did not find any evidence of "terrorism activity, domestic or foreign."[189][190][191][192][193][194] During the 2012 trip to Dagestan, Tamerlan was reportedly a frequent visitor at a mosque on Kotrova Street in Makhachkala,[195][196][197] believed by the FSB to be linked with radical Islam.[196] Some experts believe "they were motivated by their faith, apparently an anti-American, radical version of Islam" acquired in the U.S.,[198] while others believe the turn to radicalism happened in Dagestan.[199]

At the time of the bombing, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, with a major in marine biology.[200] Dzhokhar became a naturalized U.S. citizen on September 11, 2012.[201] Tamerlan's boxing coach reported to NBC that the young brother was greatly affected by his brother and admired him.[202][203]
    So again, how would this bill have stopped them? You're talking about the Tsarnaev brother at what, 8 years old? Does the bill have some provision for future radicalization stopping?

Unbound already explained what is wrong with this and that is it just a giant bureaucracy expansion with no added benefits or security. How small government of us...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Novar View Post
    Also, this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    So again, how would this bill have stopped them?
    Obviously it would assign responsibility for refugee screening to the precrime division.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    So again, how would this bill have stopped them? You're talking about the Tsarnaev brother at what, 8 years old? Does the bill have some provision for future radicalization stopping?

Unbound already explained what is wrong with this and that is it just a giant bureaucracy expansion with no added benefits or security. How small government of us...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this.
    Looks like you guys didn't even read the snopes article,

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    You may be interested in this article in the Washington Post, about as Obama-friendly a newspaper as there has ever been. It cites people like Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and FBI Director James Comey among those warning that there is precious little information to obtain on anyone claiming to be from Syria seeking refuge.

There is nothing "thorough" about the vetting available, in short. There is no way to obtain information about these people from the Syrian government (not that even a majority of "Syrian" "refugees" are actually from Syria -- the phrase "Syrian refugees" also includes people from Mali, Tunisia, Ghana, Somalia, Yemen, Iraq, Bangladesh when used to discuss the horde sweeping into Europe and from which the US is supposed to start skimming), because we have no access to it if it even exists, and our own intelligence services won't have information on them unless they have already been up to no good rather than obvious plants like those who participated in the Paris attacks.

Can we interview them? Yes. Can they lie? Yes. The good guys have to be right 100 times out of 100 to prevent an attack, the bad guys have to be right once.
    You're pissing in the wind dude, they don't care.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    we have a thorough vetting procces in place, yet we still have people acting like swarms of terrorists are going to slip thorugh undetected for some reason.
    Upwards to 80% of the refugee's are males and 20% of them according to syrian officials are radicalized. Aside from it being very easy to get fake documents, their really isn't a large data pool about these people that would help distinguish who we should/shouldn't take. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not aware of anything special that the current vetting process in place would or even could address this issue. The larger issue at hand, which is the most likely to happen, is for them radicalize when they get here.

I just hope we are taking the women and children. They deserve better opportunities, a better life then what middle eastern Islamic brutality can offer. So far, the males haven't integrated well at all. I do not see them willingly accepting a society where their is gender equality, where woman aren't treated as property or below them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    which is something we've always had to deal with anyway. but yes I can agree on the situation not making it easy to catch them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You're pissing in the wind dude, they don't care.
    /wanking motion

15+ Year Old Account
    These terrorist attacks are quite always done by people who lived in the attacked countries for a while, not refugees. Besides, if *I* were to plan a terrorist attack, I'd fly in business class, shake hands and smile to the camera, and THEN blow up in the middle of my reception party, not come in as a refugee everyone is looking suspiciously at. I tend to assume terrorists are not THAT stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Point of interest on the nature of a "refugee" at a conceptual level. In the past few days, the Honduran government have arrested 5 ostensibly Syrian, ostensible refugees travelling with stolen greek passports... bound for the US. Yesterday, CBP picked up 8 also ostensible Syrians crossing into the US via the Mexican border.

So... exactly how is anyone a "refugee" that has the material wherewithal to make a transatlantic trip from the Middle East or Africa to Central America without having needed the country in which they so desperately seek refuge to have picked them up? These people didn't cross in wine barrels. They have suitable means to resettle somewhere on their own, they don't get to point their finger at a map and declare some place their new home and just be expected to be taken in.