Can you still level up through crafting?

Hey,

I have a lvl 53 Mesmer and I want to Level up my tailor profession from 1 to 400. Is it still possible to gain a few levels while doing that? Like 7-10? I know it was possible back then when I last played GW2 but I don't know how it is now.

Yes you can. Don't know if there's a cap on how many levels you can get, but I've gained 3-4 levels from cooking so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Neclord View Post
    Hey,

I have a lvl 53 Mesmer and I want to Level up my tailor profession from 1 to 400. Is it still possible to gain a few levels while doing that? Like 7-10? I know it was possible back then when I last played GW2 but I don't know how it is now.
    You can level 100% through crafting if that is what you want however it's very expensive now because the cap went up to 500. So 1-400 on 9 crafts will get you 63 levels.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Ages ago, I leveled my guardian and thief from level 2 to 26 by leveling crafting skills I didn't have; huntsman and LW on the thief, artificer and cooking on the guardian. Those were from 1-400, since that was before ascended crafting. If you have the mats stowed away and/or can afford them, I suspect going from 400-500 on any of the weapon/armor crafts is worth as much or more xp as 1-400. That's simply a suspicion of mine; I have no proof whether or not it's true.

The first max level character reached the cap by having his friends send him mats as he sat crafting non-stop.

Yeah, before Ascended, 1-400 was like 10 levels, with Ascended intro they made 1-500 to be 10 levels, so 1-400 is like 7 levels. Even the classes that lack a 401-500 range still only give the 7 levels for 1-400.

Unless something changed that I didn't notice.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Ok cool, I messed around with Crafting today and it really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    Yes you can. Don't know if there's a cap on how many levels you can get, but I've gained 3-4 levels from cooking so far.
    Cooking is nice.

I used the crafting buff (for additional xp) and gained 12-13 levels from tailoring and also ~12 levels with my other character for armorsmithing (both 1-400).

I had no buff left when I tried cooking, but 1-400 gave me 7 levels, which is pretty damn good compared to the other 2, because cooking is way cheaper. For all the materials you just need ~10g, while for tailoring and armorsmithing you need about 40-50g.

You'll need max level crafting no matter what if you ever want to make ascended weapons so it's worth doing right from the start. Don't worry about the price.

If you want to use crafting for leveling then it's always a good idea to get to level 25 odd first and then use the cheap 0-400 across the board to push your way to 80. Leveling at the lower levels is much quicker than the higher ones.

As Rust in Peace said, you'll probably just want to plan and level up right crafting profession for the gear you'll want to make, if you plan on doing raids. Otherwise just follow some guides and do what is easiest. Also for the legacy legendaries you'll need crafting.