Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    Don't expect these people to think anything other than their small localized bubble. Also they will totally ignore stuff like:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-year-in-2015/
    but but indiana

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    “Co2 has provided the basis of life for at least 3.5 billion years,” Moore said.
    I can hardly imagine a more disingenuous statement about climate change than this.

Water is the "basis of life" too, unless you're drowning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess it's that time again.

Here's the basics of the science behind AGCC; http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

The Working Group 1 report above is the physical science basis behind this. Yes, it's a heavy, dense document, but you can't trim it down any shorter without cutting out critical data. If you want the easier-to-read glossed-over highlights, the Summary for Policymakers document listed there is what you want. If you have further questions, you can dig into the full report. Whole thing is free and open-access.

If you want a simple visual, and before anyone says "what about volcanoes" or whatnot, here;
    http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/20...ing-the-world/

A nice visual graphing of the various factors that could affect climate forcing, graphed against the actual warming trend. Skip to the end if you want the important bit; that the only vector that's significant is anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions, and that when you combine that with the (most neutral or depressive) other vectors, the resulting projection is pretty much dead-on observed warming.

Climate change denial is precisely as counterfactual and willfully ignorant as insisting the Earth is flat, or that the moon landings were faked. And yes, saying "I don't dispute that climates change, just that we're responsible" [i]is[i] "climate change denial".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I can hardly imagine a more disingenuous statement about climate change than this.

Water is the "basis of life" too, unless you're drowning.
    The complexity of the interactions between CO2 and the Ozone and everything else are too hard to grasp for some. Plants breathe it! That makes it good!... right?

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    but but indiana
    DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN!?!?!?!

i said there is climate change(does not equal warming) AS THERE HAS BEEN FOR MILLION OF FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!!!! as this planet has had Ice ages and periods WAY WARMER THEN NOW. to think we have a impact on that is stupid.

ALSO PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE FEW SCIENTIST WHO said the planet is getting colder because of global warming *i am serius a scientist said this*

THE WHOLE THING IS BUNK AND ABOUT MONEY!

GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES, it;s a scam to make money 20-30 years ago it was OMG SAVE DAH PLANET AS WE HAVE GLOBAL COOLING!

but man made global warming is a SCAM!
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2015-11-20 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    The scam is the public funding that went into 'educating' you.

Deleted

i said there is climate change(does not equal warming) AS THERE HAS BEEN FOR MILLION OF FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!!!!

You are literally alive in the warmest year on record. Also, please see the links Endus so graciously supplied, and learn how to use capital letters and punctuation if you wish to imply someone else is of lesser intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Guess it's that time again.

Here's the basics of the science behind AGCC; http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/
    Why don't you save yourself the time of reposting and just put the link in your signature?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/09/1...lobal-cooling/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...climate-talks/
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/28/st...cooling-ahead/

look i can post random stuff to?

WE HAVE NO IDEA what is going on, we are stupid to think we can predict man made global warming when we can't even predict the weather 24 hours ahead 100% of the time

remember the sea levels would flood all the coastlines by 2015 8 years ago? last i check things are still the same
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2015-11-20 at 03:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

i said there is climate change(does not equal warming) AS THERE HAS BEEN FOR MILLION OF FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!!!! as this planet has had Ice ages and periods WAY WARMER THEN NOW. to think we have a impact on that is stupid.

Dr Richard Lindzen (quoted in the OP) disagrees with you, he's said that man does affect the climate, but his argument is that it is beneficial. So, which scientific experts are you using to back up your claim?

10+ Year Old Account

Yelling really loudly that it's obvious that the Earth is flat doesn't make your position any more credible, dude.

The climate hasn't changed at anything like the current rate, at any point in the past, where natural causes were the only ones in play. Plus, if natural causes alone were the only ones affecting climate, we'd be cooling right now.

I mean, sure, I guess you can try and claim that basically all the thousands of climate scientists around the world, in every country, are all somehow part of the same global conspiracy, for no benefit whatsoever, and without any record of such collaboration, and with no identifiable purpose, but it sure seems silly to claim that this is the more realistic or reasonable option.

15+ Year Old Account

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/09/1...lobal-cooling/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...climate-talks/
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/28/st...cooling-ahead/

look i can post random stuff to?

WE HAVE NO IDEA what is going on, we are stupid to think we can predict man made global warming when we can't even predict the weather 24 hours ahead 100% of the time

remember the sea levels would flood all the coastlines by 2015 8 years ago? last i check things are still the same
    We do have an idea, because we read actual science and don't just post random crap.

Also the OP title is misleading. It should read "single upper atmosphere scientist gets paid millions by Koch Bros to give an opinion on climate change".
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Richard Lindzen of the CATO Institute. So, consider the source. He's a fossil fuel industry shill, and has been for a long time.

He's made many claims that have been debunked over and over and over again.

Here is a short list over the past years of him being debunked:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ence-integrity

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...n-in-newsweek/

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...oint-by-point/

http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/Pu...dillo_2008.pdf

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...hol-testimony/

http://www.desmogblog.com/lindzen-sl...ble-scientists

15+ Year Old Account

ALSO PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE FEW SCIENTIST WHO said the planet is getting colder because of global warming *i am serius a scientist said this*

THE WHOLE THING IS BUNK AND ABOUT MONEY!

GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES, it;s a scam to make money 20-30 years ago it was OMG SAVE DAH PLANET AS WE HAVE GLOBAL COOLING!

I love how deniers pull this line to try and cast off the title of denier. "Climate change" has become near synonymous with anthropogenic climate change, and "natural climate change" is used when you are referring to natural processes.

If you want to play the "who's profiting more from climate change politics" game, we can do that. Republican pundits always scream "follow the money!"

So we did.

Liberal politicians are being paid small amounts, conservatives are being paid hundreds of billions, if not trillions in total, and scientists are getting paid their salary.

Meanwhile we have some of the more prominent scientists in the field telling us they've been approached and offered hundreds of thousands of dollars to not publish studies.

If my sole motivation was money, I'd be all aboard the denial train. Their benefactors have far deeper pockets.

I'm glad that my conscience allows me to care more about my descendant's future than some extra cash in my pocket.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    the last 3 years have been the coldest/snowiest in my area *2 years ago we broke all the records in my area* and i live in indiana.
    Global - not just Indiana.

THE CLIMATE IS ALWAYS CHANGING, the science is bad, the models are bad, anyone who took a chemistry class in college should be able to understand how bad the models are........
    Please tell me, with specifics, what is "bad" about the models.

man made global warming is not real, it is a scam to gather power and money by using FEAR TACTICS BECAUSE THEY WORK on people like you with small minds.....\
    This just makes you look like a nutter. Do you have any data to support your position? Of course you don't.

CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL, but THE CLIMATE IS ALWAYS FUCKING CHANGING! *even if there was no life on earth*
    Anyone who took a chemistry class in college should be able to understand the concepts of rates.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Liberal politicians are being paid small amounts, conservatives are being paid hundreds of billions, if not trillions in total, and scientists are getting paid their salary.
    Lets just make up numbers. By all means though cite a source for the trillions claim, lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lets just make up numbers. By all means though cite a source for the trillions claim, lol.
    Do we really need to pull out opensecrets and various economic studies to know that there's been enormous amounts of money finding its way into the pockets of deniers over the last couple of decades.

I'll give you a couple of hours to do your own homework (Google is hard to use and I want my students to learn how to use it), and if you fail I can point you in the right direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way to miss the forest for the trees.

The simple fact is that there are think tanks established to push climate change denial, whose sole funding purpose is to manufacture a false sense of debate.

Actual scientists don't get paid anything to back a given theory. Not one red cent. They get paid their normal salaries, which they draw as academics or researchers, but none of that requires a specific conclusion to come out of their work, unlike those think tanks.

The IPCC is a good example; all contributors to the IPCC's reports are volunteers. They're paid nothing for their participation. They do it because the work is important.

There's essentially no money that's spent in backing anthropogenic climate change, specifically. The money people point to isn't earmarked for AGCC research, it's money paid to researchers to do whatever research they're interested in. AGCC theory comes out of that because it's literally the only model that makes any sense at all, given the data we have.

For instance; I'm working on an RAship this term, writing a primer on climate change adaptation. The money I get paid is to do research and produce justifiable and empirically valid conclusions, whatever those might be. If I could actually "prove" that AGCC was a fraud, I'd be lauded. I'd be a freaking celebrity. There's no way I'm going to pull that off, but the reason I can't is because the data backing AGCC theory is so thick and dense and conclusive that it's a titanic proposition. If I had the right stone to kill that giant, the entire scientific community would back me. That's how science works.
    Last edited by Endus; 2015-11-20 at 04:07 PM.

the last 3 years have been the coldest/snowiest in my area *2 years ago we broke all the records in my area* and i live in indiana.

THE CLIMATE IS ALWAYS CHANGING, the science is bad, the models are bad, anyone who took a chemistry class in college should be able to understand how bad the models are........

man made global warming is not real, it is a scam to gather power and money by using FEAR TACTICS BECAUSE THEY WORK on people like you with small minds.....\

CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL, but THE CLIMATE IS ALWAYS FUCKING CHANGING! *even if there was no life on earth*

- - - Updated - - -

YOU IGNORED the fact that i said i have no problem with green energy...................... what i am against is forcing it down our throats faster then any normal free market would do, onc eit;s cheaper then oil you will see it swap really quick on it's own....

Man made Global warming is not about making the world better, it's about the Ruling class Elite people filling their pockets with more money and power.....

also all these people telling me i need to cut my carbon footprint as they fly their private jets.........

they do not even live what they preach about..... i recycle and more then likely they do not *or they pay some one to do it for them*

BUT YOU CAN DO ALL OF THOSE THINGS IN THAT IMAGE under a program for that, you do not need fear mongering tactics to do it...... but you do need fear mongering tactics to get people to PAY MORE IN TAXES when they already giving the government more then half of their money. oh and big business loves it cause well you know what big business will do to save/make a dime....(lobbying politicians for exclusive rights/big contracts only to them/avoiding taxes like GE/etc....)
    Normal FREE MARKET? Are you fucking kidding me? When the Oil industry still gets a ton of help from the government, despite record profits? Go fuck yourself douchebag.