Stopgap GPU Card

So I currently have a GTX 660 and want to upgrade but I don't have the money to buy something like a 970 or a 390. The main thing I want is to be able to play Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 on high/medium settings steadily. Currently the 660 handles fallout on medium ok, but it has some major dips in the more congested areas like the city.

On a budget of around 150-200 dollars is that possible? I was thinking something like the 960 but I'm not sure if that would do the trick for me.

Btw I'm running it with a 4670k on a Asus Z87a motherboard and my PSU is a 750W Corsair.

Thanks for any help and input!

Just save up for another month or two and get a 970. It'll be worth it in the long-term.

my last few cards have been *70 gtx, they seem to last a good while before i start to see the need for a new card, i have a 770 right now and can run Fallout 4 on ultra @ 1920x1200 ~50fps average.

So id recommend a 970 or 870 gtx.

But the 960 is by all I've heard a solid card.

are you overclocking your CPU any? that alone might bump you up in framerates in CPU intense games.
    Last edited by provaporous; 2015-11-21 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by provaporous View Post
    my last few cards have been *70 gtx, they seem to last a good while before i start to see the need for a new card, i have a 770 right now and can run Fallout 4 on ultra @ 1920x1200 ~50fps average.

are you overclocking your CPU any? that alone might bump you up in framerates in CPU intense games.
    No, I'm not currently overclocking. I've never had experience with it before and I know I would have to upgrade from the stock CPU cooler correct? Would you classify Fallout and the Witcher as CPU intensive?

Quote Originally Posted by provaporous View Post

Just a heads up. There is no such thing as an 800 series gpu for PC only laptops.

On topic though. OP you would be better off saving for a 970 or 390 or possibly buy a used one for a fraction of the original cost.