Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I need to prepare for university this spring.

Hello guys, i am an international student in the U.S and i got accepted for electrical engineering, however, I want to review a lot of what i studied because i graduated from high school last year and i want to refresh my memory and read the textbooks in English. So to all of the electrical engineers in here, what should i review before the spring semester?

15+ Year Old Account

Mathematics and physics really.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

First year of EE is review and introduction. Just chill. Spare your effort to the first semester. If you have problems with English (listening, writing, etc.), however, try to fix them.

Work on your alcohol tolerance. Start with 2 twelve ounce beers, once you get used to that, increase it to 3, then to 4, etc, until you get to 6. Beer comes in 6 packs here. Then practice putting on condoms.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Work on your alcohol tolerance. Start with 2 twelve ounce beers, once you get used to that, increase it to 3, then to 4, etc, until you get to 6. Beer comes in 6 packs here. Then practice putting on condoms.
    Practice putting them on while shitfaced, you mean, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If you come from a country whose secondary education has few requirements beyond exams, work on your essay writing skillings.
    Why should a person studying electrical engineering focus on essay writing skills?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

best advice given was the not expect the teachers to do anything

be 100% prepared to ignore what teachers say the minimums are. you should be studying for 6 hrs a day on top of your HW in order to fully be prepared

if you think you cant find any relevant info to study, well, thats what libraries are for

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Why should a person studying electrical engineering focus on essay writing skills?
    Because almost every engineering discipline teaches technical writing. At least, that's how the curriculum works in Canada.

Anyway, start memorizing. If you can find out what textbooks you'll be using (as many engineering fields are highly standardized) see if you can get a copy early and just start belting through the material. Make flashcards and / or utilize mnemonic devices. Generally, most of your competency evaluations will require a great deal of memorization. Also, practice your English. Find people to talk to, and converse with them regularly. This will help you a lot, especially if you're looking to work in the U.S. or if your course has a practicum period.
    Last edited by Anonymous1038853; 2015-11-21 at 10:39 AM.

Because presentation is important in Academia regardless of discipline.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Because presentation is important in Academia regardless of discipline.
    So are public speaking, drinking alcohol and elbow tactics. Yet those aren't the things one should focus first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Knowing how to present a hypothesis and an argument are important and good communication skills get you the extra grades.
    At least here all courses are graded by exams only.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    best advice given was the not expect the teachers to do anything

be 100% prepared to ignore what teachers say the minimums are. you should be studying for 6 hrs a day on top of your HW in order to fully be prepared

if you think you cant find any relevant info to study, well, thats what libraries are for

studying for 6 hours a day on top of going to classes/lectures/seminars? When do you sleep?

If you have study 6 hours a day during the week for a subject I believe that your aptitude for said subject should be questioned.

At least here all courses are graded by exams only.
    I disagree.

So are public speaking, drinking alcohol and elbow tactics. Yet those aren't the things one should focus first.
    I said Academia, not university social life. Public speaking skill is a plus, not a requirement. Most Academicians are bad public speakers. One would see it in the first scientific conference participated. Good (written) presentation skill is a requirement. When one is submitting a paper be it to his/her professor or a journal, it needs to be polished, well-written, so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-11-21 at 11:11 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    I disagree.
    What do you study and where?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I said Academia, not university social life.
    All of those traits are part of academia.

What do you study and where?
    Bioinformation technology in Aalto.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bioinformation technology in Aalto.
    And your courses are evaluated by something else than exam?

And your courses are evaluated by something else than exam?
    Part of my grades come from midterms of course.
    but "laskarit" and other course work also matter.

All of those traits are part of academia.
    I could agree with public speaking skill, although not a requirement, a plus at best. Drinking alcohol? What? Academia is scientific/educational part of a higher education institute.

15+ Year Old Account
    Part of my grades come from midterms of course.
    Midterm = exam.

but "laskarit" and other course work also matter.
    You might get some extra points for the exam from "laskarit" (= homework exercises), but you can get the best grade without doing any (or the minimum required to pass the course) of them.

i have 3 weeks left in america as an international student.

i wouldn't really stress about anything. you'll know the readings in the curriculum of the different courses, and it won't be hard to follow, as long as you are consistent with your readings. plus, you will have A LOT of people who will be able to help you with your homework, and things you're unsure of. even the professors help a lot. plus, if you're from an european country, you'll find that the american structure of courses are a lot easier. at least for me. multiple choice ftw.

if you have a lot of issues with the language, you can take courses at the university to improve your english as well. some of my korean friends are doing it.

also, as an international student, be prepared to drink thursday, friday and saturday. sometimes tuesdays as well. be prepared.