help me decide on new UI

hi there,

for quite some time I have been using my own custom made quite minimal interface. all done through mix and match of different addons. recently however I am thinking about switching to a custom UI to lessen the hustle with new patches/expansion and abandoned or slowly updated addons.

and so, questions:
    1 - do you guys think it's a good idea? is there any downside to this train of thought?
    2 - I never really followed the "ui bundle scene" - what is worth looking at? I know of TukUI, ElvUI - is there anything else worth checking out?
    3 - speaking of TukUI and ElvUI - what's the difference? both look like complete overhauls is the difference only in style or in function as well?
    4 - looking at ui bundles I see a lot of ones that look like ElvUI with things moved around (I really liked this one http://www.wowinterface.com/download...vUIKkthnx.html for example) - is this just it? a different rearrangement or was there some custom work done?

thanks, and lets see the answers coming, looking forward to it

Deleted
    Basically ElvUI is TukUI with added functionality. Some that require seperate add-ons in TukUI are already included in ElvUI. I use a modified version of ElvUI myself + Add-On Skins and a couple of things not inluded with Elv.

elvUI is still pretty much the basis for most?

10+ Year Old Account
    You just can't go wrong with ElvUI. You can customize almost anything exactly how you want it, but even if you don't need that level of customization it looks and feels great "out of the box." The best part for me is that all of the UI settings are in one window - you don't have 30 different addons to configure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefeng View Post
    You just can't go wrong with ElvUI. You can customize almost anything exactly how you want it, but even if you don't need that level of customization it looks and feels great "out of the box." The best part for me is that all of the UI settings are in one window - you don't have 30 different addons to configure.
    that really is the selling point for me. I was just wondering if there is anything better than that

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    that really is the selling point for me. I was just wondering if there is anything better than that
    As far as the consistency/interaction goes you won't find better than ElvUI or some derivative.
    Short of making something yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I've been looking more into elvUI and discovered that there is Shadow and Light (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...adowLight.html) which looks like some additional functionality on top of what elvUI has to offer.

are there more addons like that? that are not only elvUI configs but give additional functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    I've been looking more into elvUI and discovered that there is Shadow and Light (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...adowLight.html) which looks like some additional functionality on top of what elvUI has to offer.

are there more addons like that? that are not only elvUI configs but give additional functionality?
    Leatrix Plus springs to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    For years I tinkered with ~20 addons and different configurations/settings and finally bit the bullet and overhauled with ElvUI. I'ts been 2 years of that now and I wish I did it 2 years earlier.

Just such a QoL improvement to really only have to deal with a few options windows and since you're familiar with addons, there won't be much of a learning curve if at all for you to figure everything out.

Just do it.

custom all the way