Quick question in regards to memory.

Hello all!

First and foremost allow me to preface this by saying that I did not see a "read before you post any questions" on the front, so if this is not in the right spot or format, my apologies.

However, I have a question in regards to my memory.

My rig came with 2x 4GB DDR3 1600

I am currently running Minecraft and allocating a set amount of Ram and I am using 85% of my memory while running MC - I do not know if this is bad or not (Don't know if you can "redline" your PC RAM) but I was considering upgrading to 16 GB instead of the 8 GB I have.

Do you think that this will make a difference and allowing me to load some more stuff while playing MC? For instance, I notice my rig slows down once I open an internet browser - this will allow me to open the browser without having my usage spike up to 95%?

Thanks for your time. Cheers.

10+ Year Old Account
    You usually don't need to run more than 2gb for minecraft at the most. What are you allocating?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Modded MC - pack works best anywhere between 4.5-5 GB I read.

Quote Originally Posted by drkorcs55 View Post
    Hello all!

First and foremost allow me to preface this by saying that I did not see a "read before you post any questions" on the front, so if this is not in the right spot or format, my apologies.

However, I have a question in regards to my memory.

My rig came with 2x 4GB DDR3 1600

I am currently running Minecraft and allocating a set amount of Ram and I am using 85% of my memory while running MC - I do not know if this is bad or not (Don't know if you can "redline" your PC RAM) but I was considering upgrading to 16 GB instead of the 8 GB I have.

Do you think that this will make a difference and allowing me to load some more stuff while playing MC? For instance, I notice my rig slows down once I open an internet browser - this will allow me to open the browser without having my usage spike up to 95%?

Thanks for your time. Cheers.
    short answer no, you can not 'red line' your ram. once you peak over 100% util (often before) windows will start page filing which uses HD space as virtual ram. this will increase processing lag to a point, or at least it used to, not sure if it is still as big of a hit as it used to be. that being said though, ram is cheap so if you can and want to upgrading to 16gb should be done.