Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Kansas Professor on Leave After Using Racial Slur in Class

http://time.com/4123543/kansas-profe...lflow_facebook

She said the slur during a class discussion about race

(LAWRENCE, Kan.) — A white University of Kansas professor is on paid leave after using a racial slur during a class discussion about race.

The school told Andrea Quenette, an assistant professor of communication studies, on Friday that five people had filed a discrimination complaint against her, she told the Lawrence Journal-World. She requested a leave of absence, and the university says she will have to stay off campus during the administrative leave until the investigation is complete.

Students began complaining about Quenette after she used the racial slur during a Nov. 12 class for graduate students who teach undergraduate classes. The class met the day after a contentious university-wide forum on race and discrimination moderated by Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little.

The forum followed days of protests at the University of Missouri over concerns about the administration’s handling of racial issues and the subsequent resignations of the system president and chancellor of the Columbia campus.

Quenette, who is 33 and has been teaching at the university for two years, said that diversity in the classroom was on the syllabus, and a student asked how they could talk about race issues in their own classes. The conversation then shifted to how the university should address racial problems.

She said she pointed out that racist incidents on other campuses, including the University of Missouri’s Columbia campus, have been very visible, and used the slur when comparing the University of Kansas to the other incidents. Quenette said she could have apologized “in the moment” if anyone had responded, but no one did, so she continued the discussion.

But Amy Schumacher, a first-year doctoral student who was in the class of nine white students and one black student, said most “just shut down” after Quenette’s using the slur. Schumacher said she believes Quenette “actively violated policies” during the discussion, hurt students’ feelings — including the one black student, who left “devastated” — and has a previous history of being unsympathetic to students.

Quenette is relieved of all teaching and service responsibilities, university spokesman Joe Monaco said. He said administrative leaves are often used “to address substantial disruptions to the learning environment or concerns about individuals’ welfare” while investigations are underway.

Quenette said she hopes to secure an attorney to represent her.

She also said she believes academic freedom protects her comments and that they were not discriminatory.

“I didn’t intend to offend anyone,” she said. “I didn’t intend to hurt anyone. I didn’t direct my words at any individual or group of people.”

So what did she actually say?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    So what did she actually say?
    No idea, but I am assuming "nigger". (goes on leave)

Why doesn't it even say what she said?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Why doesn't it even say what she said?
    Too scared of triggering readers. It's sad that this PC culture makes me more inclined to believe she said something as extreme as "Nigger" and instead something like "Colored" people, or even just talking about it as a white person upset these poor college students.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was a class for grad students? Jesus.

Can't even discuss sensitive stuff anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    So, what was the slur?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Too scared of triggering readers. It's sad that this PC culture makes me more inclined to believe she said something as extreme as "Nigger" and instead something like "Colored" people, or even just talking about it as a white person upset these poor college students.
    Yeah I wanna know context. She said she didn't target any individual or group with her statement so that makes me curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I checked other articles to see what was said

No dice.

7+ Year Old Account
    People that are easily "triggered" deserve to be "triggered".

I swear, I hate my generation...

Deleted
    Poor black student probably left devastated after hearing the slur "porch monkeys"

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Modern education is more about 'feelings' than learning. Pathetic.

If she said the word in the context of a discussion about racial issues with no ill will, then I don't understand why these students are complaining. It's just language policing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Modern education is more about 'feelings' than learning. Pathetic.
    It's sad...

Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    I swear, I hate my generation...
    Don't hate your generation because of some off shoots. Even if it's 25% of the fruit loops that are easily triggered, it's not everyone. You're only going to hear about the small 10% that find everything offensive and not the 90% that don't

Plus depending on the media outlet, they are going to push and hype up these stories to get people excited. In the short term, it wouldn't hurt white people to just avoid using known offensive racial slurs. The "They do it, why can't I?!!!" Is never going to win any arguments. Just skip the slurs and be safe and cozy.

10+ Year Old Account
    most “just shut down” after Quenette’s using the slur.
    Oh I've got to know what this word is!!! A way to shut down cry baby college student's with just one word!!

hurt students’ feelings — including the one black student, who left “devastated”
    I don't know if I should face plant into my desk or laugh my ass off......

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I don't know if I should face plant into my desk or laugh my ass off......
    One hurts, the other is fun. Always go with the latter.

10+ Year Old Account
    "and used the slur when comparing the University of Kansas to the other incidents"

To me, that says she wasn't using it as an example of what a racial slur is, but was using it as a slur. Her claiming she wasn't targeting an individual or group is irrelevant. If the slur was "poopmonger" (to make up something kind of silly), then she's saying her comment wasn't "Billy is a poopmonger", or "the protesters were all poopmongers", but something more like "the only people who'd take issue with that are poopmongers".

I think saying "the p-word" or some other euphemism is silly as balls; I agree with Louis C. K. on this. Using the euphemism just makes me think the word, so you can avoid saying it, when you really want to. Just say "poopmonger". If you're not using it in a racist manner, this should be clear. Something like "Racial slurs like 'poopmonger' are hateful and discriminatory" isn't something that should ruffle anyone's feathers.

But this particular case smells bad, to me.

Deleted
    Who wanna bet it wasn't the black student who ratted her out?