Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Guess what Vladimir Putin never said

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/49846646.cms

Russian President Vladimir Putin has the image of a tough guy who often displays his machismo by going shirtless, making strong public remarks and often taking a hardline stance. So when a statement on terrorists "To forgive them is up to God, but to send them to him is up to me" was attributed to him, many on the social media believed it and quickly lapped it up.

That statement was posted on Twitter by Russia Today anchor Remi Maalouf in the wake of Paris attacks in which more than 120 people were killed. That post registered with the critics of Barack Obama, who took on the US president for adopting a more measured approach to the tragedy.

But it later turned out that Putin did not actually make these remarks.
    Ms Maalouf too apologised, posting a follow up tweet:

(all tweets are in article)

This is not the first time that something like this has been forwarded on the social media without being checked if it is true or a just silly hoax

Deleted
    Famous person get quote that they didn't say attributed to them?

Thats new.

Marilyn Monroe is the Queen of quotes she never said. Trying to think of a male equivalent...
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    I would correct the Right wingers who posted that false quote on my Facebook but why waste the time. Tomorrow they'll just post more crap that Obama didn't say.....

Fake quotes are what social media is made of

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Marilyn Monroe is the Queen of quotes she never said. Trying to think of a male equivalent...
    Godwins law might have a word with that :X

Twitter is clearly the best news source.

The people posting that kind of shit on facebook really don't care that most of it isn't true. Trying to correct them is really silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    But that's quite a good quote... Why not pretend he did say it?

Putin is old school KGB, just part of the spy versus spy game.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    But that's quite a good quote... Why not pretend he did say it?
    Because you would look like an insecure wannabe macho?

Oh shit I was praising the guy for that quote lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Putin is old school KGB, just part of the spy versus spy game.
    Like this?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Russia Today anchors taking liberty with truth : I'm flabergasted.

Deleted

Would the quote imply he masterminded the suicide attacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Fake quotes are what social media is made of
    Yeah. It's best to take everything posted on social media with a pinch of salt. Sadly casting doubt on many sources of news is considered a 'conspiracy theory' in many cases.

15+ Year Old Account
    But he says "nya nya", and actually is a neko girl.

Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I would correct the Right wingers who posted that false quote on my Facebook but why waste the time. Tomorrow they'll just post more crap that Obama didn't say.....
    Wow, what a hobby.

Anyways, it's not necessarily a big deal that Putin didn't say that. It's not too far from what Putin says and does already. He talks to Russian billionaires like children. He may as well have said it, given the way he carries himself and how he's received by the internet.

15+ Year Old Account
    "ISIS is not a just a nuisance but a Western-created problem out of their inability to think two steps ahead. They condemn Russia for problems they create, they call upon Russia when they need someone to solve them."- Franz Joseph Stalin, speaking at 2015 G20 summit in Antalya (source: Twitter)
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!