Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sharp divisions emerge on campuses

http://www.latimes.com/local/educati...121-story.html

Alton Luke II is an African American sophomore at Occidental College who backs the broad goal of racial equity for students. But he has chosen not to support the minority student movement aimed at ousting college President Jonathan Veitch and improving campus diversity — and bluntly announced his views on Facebook this week.

For that, he has paid a price.

Luke said some of his friends, both black and white, have started ignoring him. He's been called ignorant. He said the hostility of some protesters toward those with different views is a major reason he is not supporting their current uprising.

"They're doing what they claim white people do to us, which is marginalize us and cast us as the bad guy," said Luke, a graduate of Long Beach Polytechnic High and kinesiology major who aims to become an orthopedic surgeon. "You can't have a different opinion here or you're persecuted. But I'm standing against their tyrannical and unjustified actions."

Protests at Occidental, Claremont McKenna, Yale, Ithaca, Brown and other campuses throughout the nation appear to have wide support as they demand action to address the bias some minority students say they face.

But sharp dissent over the movement's tactics is also emerging, as critics have begun to step forward.

At Claremont McKenna College, where protests have led to the resignation of a top administrator, more than 300 students sent a letter to the campus community expressing support for the fight against racial discrimination. But they called the use of hunger strikes to force Dean of Students Mary Spellman to step down "extremely inappropriate" and also castigated the cursing at administrators at a recent student protest, the "cyberbullying" of students over an offensive Halloween costume and the filing of a federal civil rights complaint against Claremont.

"Never have we been more divided as community. Never did we think the day would come where we were scared to speak our minds, where fear of our fellow students' rage silenced us," said the letter, signed on behalf of the students by Nathaniel Tsai, a junior majoring in government. "It is time for the demonstrations and the hostile rhetoric to stop."

At Yale University, nearly 800 students, faculty, staff and others sent a letter this week to campus President Peter Salovey expressing concerns about several student demands — among them mandatory diversity sensitivity training, an ethnic studies requirement and the firing of a faculty member who questioned staff warnings about culturally offensive Halloween costumes.
    Article continues in link above.

I find this encouraging, the way this was looking from an outside perspective is that while their movements were being globally panned, nothing was being done to oppose their actions at the source.

Hopefully, students can realise there's a happy medium to be found. That the best way to evoke change is to be the change you want to see.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    The american culture revolution needs to be stopped.

I'm amazed at the rapidity with which liberals arts institutions have turned into intellectual cesspools. My main hope is that this garbage doesn't infect STEM departments that rely on actual rigor instead of manufactured outrage.

Ah, the perpetual allusion that everything except STEM is ''garbage''....

At least the local ones here have no outrage yet, they just change names, complain and change names again, and beg for money because they cant meet payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    That's some pretty poor reading comprehension. I think it's obvious in my post that "this garbage" refers to the "social justice" and "anti-racism" nonsense that's pervasive in modern liberal arts departments. Many liberal arts vocations are perfectly respectable, but academic rigor is putrefying before our eyes.

Deleted
    Well I read eye witness accounts of the culture revolution in china and it is the same intolerant stuff.

Language police revolutionarys victimising counter revolutionarys the attempts to clean history and so forth.
    Teachers being afraid of their students.

A climate of fear and the inhibtation of free thoughts in institutes of higher education.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it isnt science it is just fluff that usually has little use in the real world.

It's not what he said but it's close to the truth anyway

In addition that medecine or law is not in considered as being STEM, it should be blindingly obvious that not everyone in the USA can work in the STEM fields.

(And before accusation flew, I never took a single course of basket-weaving, no....Neither any course that can be considered ''SJW'')

I wonder if part of the reason why this is a 'broad' movement is the extremist 'your with us or against us' mindset which prevents any rational dissent and allows all the power to lie in the hands of a few leaders.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    In addition that medecine or law is not in considered as being STEM, it should be blindingly obvious that not everyone in the USA can work in the STEM fields.

(And before accusation flew, I never took a single course of basket-weaving, no....Neither any course that can be considered ''SJW'')
    Medicine is a science. Law school creates lawyers, which are but a plague on humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Sadly, we need an army of them to function. THough yeah, they don't really produce much value.
    We need an army of them to function because they wrote the laws that require them, truly a case of putting the fox in charge of the hen house.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Sadly, we need an army of them to function. THough yeah, they don't really produce much value.
    The rest of the world gets by with significantly fewer than the USA does.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm amazed at the rapidity with which liberals arts institutions have turned into intellectual cesspools. My main hope is that this garbage doesn't infect STEM departments that rely on actual rigor instead of manufactured outrage.
    I fully expect people to complain about the focus on white mathematicians like Gauss, Riemann, Jacobi etc. somewhere down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    We need an army of them to function because they wrote the laws that require them, truly a case of putting the fox in charge of the hen house.....
    Laws are complex because situations are complex. If laws were simple, you could have loopholes the size of Texas. Could they be simplified a bit? Yeah, but lawyers will always be necessary

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, glad there is pushback. The neutering of academia needs to stop

As much as I want equality I do find it morbidly interesting seeing these movements cannibalize those they're trying to help. South Park has eerily portrayed these groups perfectly.

Protests at Occidental, Claremont McKenna, Yale, Ithaca, Brown and other campuses throughout the nation appear to have wide support as they demand action to address the bias some minority students say they face.
    By address the bias that some face at these colleges, do they also mean the bias that helps many of them get into those colleges because the colleges Need a certain % of minority or the extra points they get on Sat tests that help their scores?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/local/educati...121-story.html

Article continues in link above.

I find this encouraging, the way this was looking from an outside perspective is that while their movements were being globally panned, nothing was being done to oppose their actions at the source.

Hopefully, students can realise there's a happy medium to be found. That the best way to evoke change is to be the change you want to see.
    This all reminds me a LOT about the movie called The Wave, based on a real life thing, in which a teacher creates a club, a movement, that's meant to do good things. In the end, the kids start to bully those that don't adhere to their club and it's rules. It gets very ugly. At that point the teacher shows the students exactly what he meant to demonstrate to them, how easily mislead and used they were even after they all said that "No, the nazi stuff cant happen again we know better."

This is exactly that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    This is exactly that.
    You PC bro too?
    Their "wave" or sieg heil salute is the vocabulary I think.

They have a certain set of words to out themself as members of the ingroup.