Low fps after Upgrade?

I recently upgraded my CPU to a i5-4690k from a i3-4330. and my GPU to a r9 390 8GB from a 660GTX 2GB, in every other game I can definitely see the improvements(GTA 5, CSGO). But in WoW I actually think my performance has gone down, in certain locations now I get to 20 fps. In Ashran I'm around 30-50 but with that many people I think thats okay. I don't have V-sync on either. The cores temperatures on the i5 do seem a 3-5 higher then what they were on my i3 though.

These are my current specs
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/snMYsY
    I am using a 20inch ViewSonic monitor with a VGA to HDMI converter.

Am I missing something? I dont have anything OC'd Just installed it and went with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Using all the latest drivers also.

Being wow not that well optimized, in heavily populated zones no one is able to get high fps. Also, what wow wants is raw power, the faster the cpu the better. You had a i3 clocked @ 3.5ghz, you now have a i5 clocked @ 3.5ghz. My dualcore g3258 clocked @4.1ghz would prolly have better performance in wow than both i3 and i5.
    Can you manage to oc the i5 a bit, even if it has stock cooling? try to bump it to 3.9ghz-4ghz, you will notice the difference in wow.
    Also, slight offtopic, you should invest in a ssd with that build.

Could be the power supply. 390 should have a minimum of 650W.
    AMD is also traditionally bad for WoW. I wouldn't be surprised if the 390 isn't far from equal to the 660 in average FPS. AMD drivers often create FPS spikes in WoW for some reason.

Deleted
    Nvidia does fare better then AMD at the LOW end of the spectrum, you are at the point where GPU power has been negated on actual group content in this case.

However I am thinking you might have certain gameworks settings enabled, try toning down the SSAO, if you have HBAO enabled, this is why as thats technically a Nvidia optimised feature.

Just stick the SSAO feature a step below HBAO and you should be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by truulte View Post
    AMD is also traditionally bad for WoW. I wouldn't be surprised if the 390 isn't far from equal to the 660 in average FPS. AMD drivers often create FPS spikes in WoW for some reason.
    the power supply worked in games where it uses the gpu heavily, but wouldn't work in a game where the cpu is the big player?
    Though I agree on the psu being below the minimum.
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
    Also, "amd is traditionally bad for wow". Mind linking sources on that one? I mean, you are comparing a r9 390 vs a gtx 660, and saying it's almost the same thing for wow.
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2015-11-22 at 12:27 AM.

I turned down the SSAO it actually improved my fps a bit, I'll probably scoop up a high PSU this coming week see if that will make the game play smoother.

Also how would I go about OC'ing my i5 to 4.0GHz? The only cooling I have in my tower is 4 fans in there, 2 aiming right towards the CPU and the stock cooling, is that enough?

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    the power supply worked in games where it uses the gpu heavily, but wouldn't work in a game where the cpu is the big player?
    Though I agree on the psu being below the minimum.
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
    Also, "amd is traditionally bad for wow". Mind linking sources on that one? I mean, you are comparing a r9 390 vs a gtx 660, and saying it's almost the same thing for wow.
    You could for instance look at every WoW benchmark ever made. Where AMD is lagging one-two generations behind in several cases...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warmsodas View Post
    I turned down the SSAO it actually improved my fps a bit, I'll probably scoop up a high PSU this coming week see if that will make the game play smoother.

Also how would I go about OC'ing my i5 to 4.0GHz? The only cooling I have in my tower is 4 fans in there, 2 aiming right towards the CPU and the stock cooling, is that enough?
    Just OC with 0.1 increments until you get a bsod, then you up the voltage till it's stable. Keep going until you need a lot of voltage to keep it stable(1.325 max). Keep it below <85 degrees. Turn your fans to 100% when OCing and back to manual after. Lock the cpu clock speed. You should invest in a CPU fan, like a 212 evo.
    Last edited by truulte; 2015-11-22 at 12:58 AM.

You could for instance look at every WoW benchmark ever made. Where AMD is lagging one-two generations behind in several cases...

- - - Updated - - -

Just OC with 0.1 increments until you get a bsod, then you up the voltage till it's stable. Keep going until you need a lot of voltage to keep it stable(1.325 max). Keep it below <85 degrees. Turn your fans to 100% when OCing and back to manual after. Lock the cpu clock speed. You should invest in a CPU fan, like a 212 evo.
    Yeah I'll have to look at a guide because I have no idea what any of that means

Deleted
    Nvidia can each better max FPS in open blank areas with no people, once you get people involved like a city or raiding, there has been no FPS difference between AMD and Nvidia.

Back when I had a 7970, my 25 man FPS was around 45 paired with a I5 3570K clocked at 4.3 GHz, got a Nvidia 780, still the same FPS in raiding and thats a more powerful GPU of upto 30% on average on GPU bound games compared to the 7970.

Also I question if getting a new PSU would improve things, again as mentioned you will only see a benefit if you use 100% GPU load, and doubt you were really, let that be the last thing to get and yes, overclocking would help a bit.

If you were wanting a new CPU cooler and I would if you want to overclock, get CRYORIG H7 for the lower end budget, but CRYORIG H5 Universal is a lot better but very large cooler, if you own a overclocking cpu, then ye go for it.

Getting a higher wattage PSU should be something if you can afford it, the recommended amounts have always been a leeway amount, never the minimum operating value.

- - - Updated - - -

Read this guide OP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE

Same cpu generation as you are using as well.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by mmoc80f347fccc; 2015-11-22 at 01:15 AM. Reason: removed link

Quote Originally Posted by Warmsodas View Post
    Yeah I'll have to look at a guide because I have no idea what any of that means
    Ok, definately do that. Pointless buying an unlocked and expensive cpu and mobo if you don't. Buy a 212 evo or something similar and start reading/watching videos

Deleted
    Oh with new CPU coolers, defo watch videos on them,

Some examples

H5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWHGMItcAVM

H7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrROVq0cdCY

These show how the coolers are installed, I am not sure if your case can support the H5 but apparently it can support the big noctua ones apparently but the H7 is a good low cost bet.

Thanks for all the videos everyone, i appreciate it. I just added the H5 to my partpicker list and It didn't give me any compatibility issues, I'll def research more on OC'ing this week.

- - - Updated - - -

So it turns out my Power Options was set to 'Power saver', I placed it on High Performance and wowwww the fps increase was amazing, thanks alot everyone for their help.
    Last edited by Warmsodas; 2015-11-22 at 01:39 AM.

How would a PSU affect FPS? It either powers the parts and works or doesn't work and shuts down or fries something. Replacing a PSU will not increase FPS at all.

Also, it will not draw anywhere near 650W, even OCed. A 550W PSU would be more than enough, it's listed as requiring that in case you have a firecracker PSU or one that does not deliver what it says. Make sure you have a decent PSU and a 500-550W is fine.

Also, WoW does not like AMD CPUs, GPUs are fine. Sure, in the really low end GPUs it favors nVidia, but WoW is not graphically demanding, it's CPU demanding. A 390 is more than enough to "brute force" past the favoring nVidia point and max out the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    How would a PSU affect FPS? It either powers the parts and works or doesn't work and shuts down or fries something. Replacing a PSU will not increase FPS at all.

Also, it will not draw anywhere near 650W, even OCed. A 550W PSU would be more than enough, it's listed as requiring that in case you have a firecracker PSU or one that does not deliver what it says. Make sure you have a decent PSU and a 500-550W is fine.

Also, WoW does not like AMD CPUs, GPUs are fine. Sure, in the really low end GPUs it favors nVidia, but WoW is not graphically demanding, it's CPU demanding. A 390 is more than enough to "brute force" past the favoring nVidia point and max out the game.
    I brought up the idea of power being a likely cause, which could've brought op to the direction of power settings. Everyone else tried to disapprove that was the cause while leaving no other ideas. I was right about the cause, not the solution. Give it a rest, the problem is solved now.