Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    For people interested in stuff like that.
    That's like telling some guy he has to marry a girl. If we were interested in protecting Romania from the Russians, which were are, what's wrong with NATO? Offer Romania a NATO membership.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    I think he's asking you for a source lol.
    Hard to pinpoint one source as the containment strategy regarding russia is mostly
    not open.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    That's like telling some guy he has to marry a girl. If we were interested in protecting Romania from the Russians, which were are, what's wrong with NATO? Offer Romania a NATO membership.
    Why aren't you interested in protecting Russia and offer them NATO membership too?

I would be surprised if the US pressured the EU to take Romania. That would be like the EU pressuring the US to take Mexico or El Salvador.
    There were complex reasons for bringing Romania and Bulgaria into the EU.

Economic, political and ethnographic.

Just to explain the complexity of the issue I'll point out one aspect.

Hungary who traditionally doesn't get along with Romania was one of the strongest supporter of Romania's ascent to the EU. Romania has about 1.4 million Ethnic Hungarians living there, who ended up in Romania after the Austro-Hungarian Empire was carved up in the aftermath of WW1. After Hungary joined the EU in the Central European ascension wave, they found themselves separated from the ethnic minority Hungarians living in Romania. Romanian Hungarians are strongly supported by the Hungarian national government and they form a very strong lobby group within Hungary. Hungary in turn has strong lobbying power with countries like Austria, Germany and Poland.

Within the European parliament voting alignment is very complex, it is along political, national and ethnic lines. Hungary tho only having about 9 million citizens is actually disproportionately represented in the European parliament as it can count on Hungarian ethnic minority politicians from half a dozen Central and Eastern European nations. So Romanian ascension to the EU actually benefited Hungary directly in voting power within the European parliament. Again this is just ONE of a myriad of complex reasons why Romania was wanted in the EU.

Another EXTREMELY important reason is that during the mid 2000's Romania was experiencing a MASSIVE economic boom, so the long term outlook on the country was really good. Romania and Poland had the greatest long term economic potential.

Poland is performing above and beyond expectations, Romania has been significantly hindered by politics and corruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they did its common knowledge.

The US largely pushed and lobbied for the fast eastward EU expansion.
    Why would the US want EU expansion Eastwards, when it could have achieved a better result via NATO membership?

I've never heard of that, not saying it isn't true, but it certainly isn't common knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to Zooc, Romania is full of nonsense retail rules. So maybe dealing with your country's laws and procedures is just too much of a bother...?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Why would the US want EU expansion Eastwards, when it could have achieved a better result via NATO membership?

I've never heard of that, not saying it isn't true, but it certainly isn't common knowledge.
    EU and then Nato is less transgressive plausible deniabillity is worth allot.

Thats why allot of the american feigned ignorance in the Ukraine is just silly.
    We don't know what we did wrong with Mc Cain on maidan and so forth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

Being a member of EU opens the market for US export products.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Bro, you're in Europe.

Try being a dirty South American like I am.
    You'd think that living in the largest country here (Brazil) would make things a bit easier but no.

Everything is overpriced to hell and back, even if I can theoretically import something it's just not worth anymore, government has been raping us for the last 2 years.

Taxes are just absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Being a member of EU opens the market for US export products.
    China is worth 1/3 to a 1/2 trillion dollars in trade per year, how much is Romania worth?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    China is worth 1/3 to a 1/2 trillion dollars in trade per year, how much is Romania worth?
    What does China have to do with any of this?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

What does China have to do with any of this?
    I'm saying the amount in trade the US makes off of Romania is pretty small. Not large enough for the US to pressure the EU to accept Romania into the EU.

You EU types just don't want to admit you're having second thoughts about the whole EU thing.

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    You EU types just don't want to admit you're having second thoughts about the whole EU thing.
    You americans just want to deny that you see the EU as tool to contain Russia.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying the amount in trade the US makes off of Romania is pretty small. Not large enough for the US to pressure the EU to accept Romania into the EU.
    Seriously... with that kind of logic and attitude, nothing would get done in this world.

What?

My opinion about EU is that it shouldn't have ever (= not for a very long time) expanded further from the original countries of 1995.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2015-11-22 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    They're also very afraid of the EU becoming a power of equal footing.

I bet you're happy with Estonia Latvia Lithuania, the more Northern European additions to the EU.

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    My opinion about EU is that it shouldn't have never (= not for a very long time) expanded further from the original countries of 1995.
    Agreed, the 15 states should have been the limit.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you're happy with Estonia Latvia Lithuania, the more Northern European additions to the EU.
    No, I'd rather let Russia have them.

Deleted
    Probably will be usefull to counter the pesky french in the long run.

Probably will be usefull to counter the pesky french in the long run.
    That doesn't make any sense.

EU types seem to like Poland too.

-- Capt. Copeland

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Blame the Gypsies in Romania to be honest, they are thieves and crooks after all.