Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    the SJW's already took away free speech

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Hey that guy
    Just a question though because I believe many people confuse thought police with being against hate speeches.

I'm all for free speech, but I draw the line when you call for violence, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    Do they consider Jews to be minorities? I'm fairly certain numerous people I know who are to the left of me, would be upset if they got hammered for the things they have said.
    No, jews are only off limits in European countries.

The discrepancy between the US and Europe may in part be explained by how Hitler rose to power.

On the subject of free speech,

Hate speech laws should exist, but at times I wonder if term is being misused and applied incorrectly. As I understand it, hate speech should be speech that incite violence. When causal links can be established between the two I think it's justifiable to ban hate speech and enforce it by law.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Millennials, females, democrats, non-whites.
    We're in an alternate universe full of savages that became fully educated engineers in a month because a dragon saved a racist from getting prosecuted by a panda in a scarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The discrepancy between the US and Europe may in part be explained by how Hitler rose to power.

Hate speech laws should exist, but at times I wonder if term is being misused and applied incorrectly. As I understand it, hate speech should be speech that incite violence. When causal links can be established between the two I think it's justifiable to ban hate speech and enforce it by law.
    You 'wonder'? There is not a faster way to shut down someone's argument than by screaming 'hate speech hate speech la lalalala'. Hell, critique of methods is hate speech in their fucked up little brains.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account

But you'll never find causality in even a majority of cases of using a particular word.

Hmm, so all that stands between us and the Fourth Reich is a bunch of rude children being racist, homophobic, sexist, etc on the internet?!?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    I'm aware, but I'm replying, in a sarcastic way, to adam there pointing out that free speech tends to only be allotted to the assholes in their eyes.
    It's impossible to enforce thus it won't even go through, people just tire of FREEDOM OF SPEECH getting abused

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this is what happens when you grow up taking your freedoms for granted. We need to reassert our nation's values in schhols and public discourse more. We need to remind people about the liberal values that made our country great, and what those liberal values actually mean.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Yes, it should. Someone should be able to speak freely. And you're free to call them a cunt or call the police.

Once you start censoring, it spirals out of control (as you can see with the recent PC movement). The hand-holding is getting ridiculous.
    Odd, given that the "spiraling out of control" is happening in that nation where they do get to "speak freely".

Perhaps there is a flaw in your assumptions.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Rephrase the question -

"Are you ok with not being allowed to speak out against a tyrannical government, such as Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia?"

See if its still 40% then.

All questions like these do is bait the non thinking into giving up their freedoms. When you're told "are you ok with limiting speech offensive to minorities?" if you're not already aware of this discussion, your first thought it is probably picturing some bigot standing next to a woman in a burqa calling her all the names of the day. Of course no one is okay with that. However, if you've actually paid attention to this discussion, you know fine rightly that what is actually being asked is

"Are you ok with stopping people disagreeing with the hyper religious and hyper offended?" To which the answer is a firm NO. You are not allowed to turn the entire world into your 'safe space'.

Too bad their range is of things that are considered offensive has been stretched so far that nobody will take them seriously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Odd, given that the "spiraling out of control" is happening in that nation where they do get to "speak freely".

Perhaps there is a flaw in your assumptions.
    That's the irony of it, one minute FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS THE CORE OF OUR COUNTRY then suddenly THESE SJWS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS RUINING OUR COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    THe main question is, what is offensive? I think people should not be allow to say things that promote violence against anyone (yes, not just minorities, it is not at all OK for anyone, including minorities to use such speech against the majority either). But are we limiting what is offensive to that or are we including racial slurs and insults for non-binary people? How about religious speech, should that be limited?
    Well, they aren't (on your promoting violence point)

Inciting violence is getting into the realms of criminal activity. Which is why groups like BLM / Modern Feminism are basically violent organisations at this point.

There are already curbs to free speech.

What is needed is a discussion of what free speech exactly is. Is it a privilege conferred to all speech? Is it a process of which one determines whether it is or isn't free speech?

Virginia v. Black for your information reading purpose.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

If that number reaches 51% then wouldn't that leave a minority of the population offended by censorship?

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was labeled a racist the other day because a black man told me that black lives matter, and I said ALL lives matter, not just black lives.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    That's the irony of it, one minute FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS THE CORE OF OUR COUNTRY then suddenly THESE SJWS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS RUINING OUR COUNTRY
    How dare they speak out against me! Don't they know I have free speech?