New Computer Build - Video Card / Windows Issue

Hi - I recently put together a new build with Windows 10 and an MSI R9 390. However, after installation I received a screen flickering and some random lines which made the computer almost unusable. I tried some tips others with Windows 10 had for the same issue, which turned off certain conflicting Windows services, but it did not work.

What does work is disabling the video card driver and restarting. Works like a charm. However, I think you can understand the problem this brings with it. Any suggestions?

All drivers are up to date, Windows 10 updates are in as well. I've emailed MSI support in the mean time....

Any suggestions?

Do the lines happen before you boot into Windows?
    What power supply do you have?
    Have you tried different AMD drivers?
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Do the lines happen before you boot into Windows?
    What power supply do you have?
    Have you tried different AMD drivers?
    They really only happen in Windows, now that I think about it. After logging in. I have a Corsair 850W. I am trying to use a different AMD driver, but I don't quite know how to make it change. I downloaded the recent off the AMD site, but Windows just tells me the driver I have is current. The AMD software won't let run it without the driver enabled - which is both annoying, but it too doesn't seem to replace the existing driver.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind. All fixed, was able to manually select a different AMD driver from their webpage and it works just fine now!

- - - Updated - - -

Issue came back. It seems to go away again if I reinstall the AMD driver, sometimes it takes a few reinstalls. It comes back every time I reboot. Annoying, but workable I suppose. Will follow up with what the vendor (MSI) comes back with, and will probably try AMD's customer service /forums as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking the graphics card could be broken. Could be that the problem happens to go away just as you reinstall the driver, not the driver itself. The the AMD clean uninstall utility and install the driver that you think works. Otherwise defective graphics card and ask for a replacement from the vendor you bought it from. Otherwise RMA with MSI.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...l-Utility.aspx

Thanks, will give that a shot. On AMD support forums, there seems to be some users which continue to have issues like this which remain unaddressed in driver updates - but no real deduction of the issue(s).

Got a small bonus from work and purchased a second card. In part because I wanted two for Overwatch, but in part because I wanted to see if the first was faulty. Long and short, I tried the new card solo. In removing the power supply from the first, I realized the +2 on 8 pin connector wasn't quite fully seated. Currently having no issues.

nice catch, though pointing out Overwatch has no SLI or crossfire support as of now >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Aylashae View Post
    nice catch, though pointing out Overwatch has no SLI or crossfire support as of now >.>
    That's disappointing.