preferred F2P and KOTFE companions

Hey everybody,

So right now i'm just preferred F2P with my level capped at 55. Since i only ever do flashpoints and level alts, and i do zero pvp and raiding i would like to remain as a pref-f2p. However i would be willing to sub for a month or two if it means i can accomplish some of the things that i want.

1) from what i've read if i sub for a month that should unlock all expac content to me. If i revert back to pref-F2P does that mean the KOTFE content will still be available to me? meaning i can roll a level 1 toon, level it all the way up to 65 and get the new KOTFE comps? OR will i have to remain a sub in order for me to level to 65 and remain a sub so that i can get those KOTFE comps and do the KOTFE story so until they are a permanent part of my crew?

2) once i unlock the KOTFE companions and they become a permanent part of my crew can i use them for older leveling content as well? i read that KOTFE comps will be used for KOTFE expac stuff, which i'm fine with. But will i be able to take Lana Beniko go into Dromund Kaas or Nar Shadaa and do the regular planetary missions and regular class story missions or are KOTFE companions not useable for those? and if they are useable for those did they add in misc dialogue during cutscenes for them? or do they just stand there mute the entire time with only approve/disapproves?

1. Correct. RotHC, SoR and chapters 1-9 of FE are all permanently unlocked once you sub.

2. Not sure how they'll work with planetary stories (companions don't seem to interact with them very much), but all your class story should be finished. If it's not, I believe you'll lose access to it once you start FE. You will lose all your old companions and will only have access to FE companions you earn once you start the current expansion though.

Ahh sweet, #2 wasnt that big of a deal really, but i thought it just would have been cool to hear the misc dialogue that Lana would have said (if any) for the regular quests. For #1 thought i just want to sub for 1 month so that KOTFE will be unlocked. That way i can play at my own pace and still get my KOTFE comps even after my sub has lapsed and also for any new characters i make while i have lapsed back into F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    Ahh sweet, #2 wasnt that big of a deal really, but i thought it just would have been cool to hear the misc dialogue that Lana would have said (if any) for the regular quests. For #1 thought i just want to sub for 1 month so that KOTFE will be unlocked. That way i can play at my own pace and still get my KOTFE comps even after my sub has lapsed and also for any new characters i make while i have lapsed back into F2P.
    im curious, truly curious.

why do people prefer to be F2P? for me it would be unthinkable to not play as a sub. I dislike everything you DONT Have as f2p. credit cap limited FP's etc etc etc.

I dont have anything at all against F2P players. its just so far away from my own playstyle and preference. also I really dont think the money spent on a sub is that much. I spend 10x that on cartel coins. (exaggeration ofc)

so what is it that makes you want to be f2p and why are you SO hesitant to sub? - you dont HAVE to answer if you dont want to ofc, also others are welcome to chime in.

Winkel

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyw View Post
    why do people prefer to be F2P? for me it would be unthinkable to not play as a sub. I dislike everything you DONT Have as f2p. credit cap limited FP's etc etc etc.
    Because for for some of us (speaking mainly for myself), we disapprove of BioWares implementation of the F2P model strongly enough that we'd rather not financially support them. Even if that means we have to struggle through the ludicrous restrictions placed on non-subscribers. I know it won't matter as much to me for a while since I'll mainly be leveling alts to 50. As backwards as it sounds, I'd be happy to throw money their way if they treated non-subs better. I have zero problems supporting decent/good games that I feel treat their players, paying and free, fairly. In fact, I will make it a point to do so from time to time, picked up 2 years of sub to Daybreak when they made their universal sub $15 a month.

so what is it that makes you want to be f2p and why are you SO hesitant to sub? - you dont HAVE to answer if you dont want to ofc, also others are welcome to chime in.
    Can't speak for others.

I just don't play swtor all that often to justify paying for a sub to be honest. When I do it's a couple nights in a month, followed by months of not playing it. My propensity to game hop (see sig) has a lot to do with it, but lately I've been working on side projects when I get home. Actually do have a two month time card for this game I just haven't figured a good time (in real life) to make good use of it. Also my highest level character is L39 sooo...won't be hitting the new content in a while. When I feel like playing, I pop in for a day on the weekend, enjoy myself and it's all good. I might play more if I had friends playing this game, but they're not interested in SW and rather play other b2p games (GW2, TSW).

Caveat: I do have an advantage over new minted f2p players in that I started as preferred when swtor first went f2p and I got all the unlocks I wanted while supply was high and prices were low on the GTN. I feel the pain points when I want to craft something (one a time) or when using medical probes (have to insert coins to continue and have a longer respawn timer than subs despite paying real money.) If you're only going to play 4-5 nights a month at most, are you gonna sub for that time just to alleviate those things? My response to the second pain point is to avoid all group content since that is where most of the dying happens and I don't want to hold a group up. I solo all overland pve content just fine anyway. Lockboxes/credit cap limits are mostly meh to me. I'm compulsive about doing quests so I'm always overleveled. I craft my own mods and buy barrels and crystals off the gtn. Newly minted f2p have a lot more to worry about.

And honestly, if I were a new player considering playing as f2p, given the way the gtn unlocks dried up--I'd either sub or just not bother downloading the game. There is no happy medium. It's a shame. Really wished BW had gone b2p, sub as reward with nice goodies i.e. permanent 12xp instead of sub as pain point removal and not create three tiers of players like this.

Hope this answers your question some.
    Last edited by catcommando; 2015-11-24 at 06:44 PM.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

yeah that makes sense . thx for the answers.

and to each his own in the end. as long as ppl enjoy themselves and have fun

Winkel
    See where I mentioned exactly what it is I do in SWTOR?

1) I only level alts
    2) I only do flashpoints
    3) I do not raid
    4) I do not PVP

All of those things I can do WITHOUT A SUB. I didnt list out those things by accident either. I've been noticing a trend with F2P games that have a sub option. Where if you ask some kind of question about an F2P unlock of some sort eventually someone will speak up and say "just sub". And that will happen even if you list out stuff like i did. I actually did that in Dromund Kaas chat one day cause i was wondering about spending the last of my CC on artifact equipment authorization, even though i didnt really need it for the content that i liked to do. I specifically mentioned that kind of stuff that I do in game and the stuff I dont do in game. I even flat out said that as an F2P i was happy with everything that i was getting out of the game but artifact auth was the last unlock i needed. But sure enough some idiot decides to speak up and say "just sub". Go try it out next time you are in game. Mention that you are an F2P and you are happy with everything that is available to you but you were wondering if it was worth it to unlock lets say unify colors or titles or something trivial. I guarantee you that someone is going to say "just sub" probably without even bothering to read what you typed, or maybe they were a latecomer to the conversation.

FURTHERMORE, i have been playing this game since early release and I was subbed for about 9 months until i stopped playing. Then on and off again I subbed and cancelled and subbed and cancelled. So all together I paid about a year and a half worth of sub fees I think. And when the game went F2P I stayed F2P but I purchased CC that was the equivalent of another 3-4 years of sub time.

So yah i dont know why anyone else would play as F2P but those are MY reasons. Why am I going to pay for a sub when i've already unlocked all the stuff i wanted unlocked and all the content i like is available to me?

10+ Year Old Account

I dont have anything at all against F2P players. its just so far away from my own playstyle and preference. also I really dont think the money spent on a sub is that much. I spend 10x that on cartel coins. (exaggeration ofc)

Winkel
    Mostly because I don't play regularly. I'll play hardcore for a week or two, then drop out go play another game or just kinda putz around on my lowbies. There's no point in paying for content I'm not using. I've played really hardcore for the last 2 months, so I've been subbed, but I think I'm wearing out, so I'll probably drop soon. And honestly the credit cap doesn't bother me.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Winkel
    I myself subbed to the game since EA launch of the game. After time I grew disenfranchised with the way the game went and while i do still enjoy the game.... I do not thing they are doing enough to warrant my still subbing to the game. They have gone since the first expansion rehashing old content while very rarely adding new.

My biggest beef was when announcing this NEW FANTASTIC reach back to story.. they added NOTHING to the game and made it far more single player and mind droning than it was worth me paying for.

I have done ALL the Ops and did them as SM, HM and Nightmare and had a blast doing them over the years but I do not wish them to be the ONLY ops to be done in game.

There NEEDS to be NEW FPs based on this story. While I enjoy the SFs in a single player mindset, a few FPs with some good battles during the rise of Zakuul in a revers story aspect(like cavern of time in wow) to see just how both the Empire and Republic fell would have been nice. i mean all we see is in total what.... 10 minutes of how the Empire and Republic got KRUSHED, shredded, grinded, and blown to the far corners of the inner and outter rim but nothing NOTEworthy.

But this is just my opinion on why I went F2P and do not want to give them anymore money if they have little desire to really grow the MP aspect and focus on SP. Operations NEED a sub to run and I do not want to do the old stuff anymore.