Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question [PvE DPS][Legion] How are we supposed to choose?

We have to pick a spec and therefore artifact when Legion launches. How are we supposed to know which spec (Frost/UH) will be the top performer come raiding?

Is there not a flaw in this? Am I thinking too much about it? I ask because generally people spec whatever the highest dps spec is according to sims. Well, there really won't be any sims to go off of and you're pretty much stuck with the artifact you choose. The only way I see this being a non-issue is if a DPS class has multiple DPS specs, they have to quickly max out all artifacts for each spec because one spec might be a better performer with AOE/Cleave and the other spec might be a better performer for ST.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    You aren't limited to one spec, or artifact. They've also said there will be catchup mechanics to get them for off specs.

No doubt the number crunchers will be into testing this through beta, but for now just pick the spec you like and hope for the best.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Given the balance shifting among the specs we've seen so far in WoD, you're going to have to level your artifact for both unholy and frost if you want to stay on the cutting edge, but either spec will probably be fine for the majority of the population on the majority of the fights.

Hopefully clever people will sim spec performance in beta. You can level with any spec regardless.

Deleted
    How about just picking the spec you like the most?

Deleted
    Relevant /10chars

Deleted
    Just pick what you enjoy... you might pick what "performs" best but who knows, it might be nerfed later and then you're stuck with a spec you dislike? Yeah, wont risk that. But I've disliked frost dk since forever, but they actually look rather fun now!? But I'll go with my guts and roll with unholy <3

Well, even with beta data, sims pre-release, beta logs and other stuff, ALL specs in the game are always running in the wheel of fortune of buffs/nerfs pre-pos patch releases(monk ww and gladiator say hello), so yeah, just play what you preffer for start, and after they are done with their buffs/nerfs play what is the best.

Play what you like unless you are in a top tier progression balls to the walls guild it doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarlol View Post
    Come on, man. We all know the only spec worth playing is the one that sims the highest on Patchwerk. Why would you ever play anything else? Who plays games for fun? That's downright silly! Games are to prove you can perform better than the other guy playing the same game, not to enjoy yourself while competing!

Quote Originally Posted by Totemslap View Post
    Come on, man. We all know the only spec worth playing is the one that sims the highest on Patchwerk. Why would you ever play anything else? Who plays games for fun? That's downright silly! Games are to prove you can perform better than the other guy playing the same game, not to enjoy yourself while competing!
    I honestly play the game for THAT reason. I have fun doing the most damage possible. Not sure if you're trying to be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullbound View Post
    I honestly play the game for THAT reason. I have fun doing the most damage possible. Not sure if you're trying to be funny.
    So if Recount/Skada didn't exist you wouldn't play the game?

Okay.

Shouldn't you be playing a mage or warlock then? They are always "top" damage.

I'll believe that it's ONE of your reasons for playing, because yeah; winning on DPS meters is it's own kind of fun, and I like it too. But that being the only reason you play? It's not THAT fun to overshadow everything else in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarlol View Post
    Why do people keep regurgitating this response as if it's the be-all end-all response to questions like these? The people who ask are obviously interested in min-maxing. You being a casual does not mean everyone else has to be.

That said, definitely too early to ask the question, OP.

This question is months too early. We don't even know how rotations will work exactly, how our damage breakdowns will look like, we have no idea what talents we will pick in what situation and how the encounters will work.

And the information we got so far might change any day during beta testing, nothing is truly set in stone.

Even if beta started the actual number tuning will be close to the end of beta and theres almost guarantee that there will be last minute changes and changes early into the expansion, too.

If you want to think about whats to come for the dk in legion now already, then you can think what looks more attractive for you, try to project some change son current encounters and think what would be more fun or what niches the specs might have and what talent synergies there are.

Given that class or spec identity is a major thing in legion you should assume that they'll try to tune the specs as close as possible so that both are viable with their own little niches and strengths. Repeating a content like BRF where frost is complete garbage and only unholy can perform decently would mean a total failure of legions design philosophy as you can't enjoy the identity of your favorite spec if for instance frost does less damage than unholy not even using the ghoul.

So with that in mind you can't really do more as of now as to think of what looks more interesting what talent combination might be fun/effective and so on. If your only goal is to pick the best spec for any situation then you can crawl back inside and come out again very late beta and check what numbers people throw around but I can also promise you that you will have to grind yourself artifacts for all specs, the probability of one spec ruling the class with that design philosophy should be almost zero.
    Especially as tuning changes happening early or mid content are nothing new and even the best theorycrafting won't protect you from the sudden nerfbat or buffs, you might be able to foresee some changes that should happen but that doesn't mean that they will happen or that they will happen in a reasonable manner.
    Last edited by Raikh; 2015-11-24 at 04:52 PM.

Deleted

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Why do people keep regurgitating this response as if it's the be-all end-all response to questions like these? The people who ask are obviously interested in min-maxing. You being a casual does not mean everyone else has to be.

That said, definitely too early to ask the question, OP.
    Also - how do we even know which one we like playing most? My favourite thing about unholy is spreading dots and (like my fire mage alt) that seems to be gone. And no I don't have beta access to help inform my decision

After maining a dk for so long I have little faith left in blizzard's ability to balance anything, or any supposed aim to do so. I'm also not great at trying to read theirs intents from their actions so...I guess I'll be trying to farm both to hedge my bets. I predict whichever spec I choose to main will be the worst choice.
    Last edited by mmocf0b29d4c77; 2015-11-24 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Also - how do we even know which one we like playing most? My favourite thing about unholy is spreading dots and (like my fire mage alt) that seems to be gone. And no I don't have beta access to help inform my decision

After maining a dk for so long I have little faith left in blizzard's ability to balance anything, or any supposed aim to do so. I'm also not great at trying to read theirs intents from their actions so...I guess I'll be trying to farm both to hedge my bets. I predict whichever spec I choose to main will be the worst choice.
    Perhaps you should play another class for a bit seems you are a bit jaded with DK ATM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire989 View Post
    Perhaps you should play another class for a bit seems you are a bit jaded with DK ATM.
    No I still like my dk. Even if I didn't "now we're mid mythic progress can I swap main to my fire mage alt" doesn't seem terribly realistic.

I sort of do appreciate the sentiment I think so I thank you for that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctee View Post
    We have to pick a spec and therefore artifact when Legion launches. How are we supposed to know which spec (Frost/UH) will be the top performer come raiding?

Is there not a flaw in this? Am I thinking too much about it? I ask because generally people spec whatever the highest dps spec is according to sims. Well, there really won't be any sims to go off of and you're pretty much stuck with the artifact you choose. The only way I see this being a non-issue is if a DPS class has multiple DPS specs, they have to quickly max out all artifacts for each spec because one spec might be a better performer with AOE/Cleave and the other spec might be a better performer for ST.

Thoughts?
    I don't know man... I was set on playing frost cause if shards of frostmourne! Lich king was my favorite xpac in 10 years of playing and on love the whole arthas story so it's only fitting I pursued frost...

Then I saw the unholy weapons... and spilled semen on my lap. So now go with what I love or look fucking awesome with apocalypse on my back!?!?!
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Just stick with the faceroll spec that chucks out good dps still, Frost...