Page 3 of 136 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Menubrea View Post
    If we get a permanent Fire Elemental, and it hits like a fucking Searing Totem I'd rather not have it at all honestly. I would take that as an insult.
    Our history has made me so pessimistic that you're reply only further cemented my belief, ha. It gives the pro-perma pet crowd something while at the same time not changing the basics.
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    New Wind Walk totem is great because we finally have an ability where people will say "wish we had a shaman for this" which weve NEVER had before.
    Quote Originally Posted by korlach View Post
    Are you smoking crack? BLOODLUST!
    Maybe if the sentence was: Wish we had a Shaman, Mage or Beast Master Hunter for this".
    No, korlach is correct. People did say they that they needed shamans all the time for bloodlust back during Burning Crusade, especially during Sunwell. Is that 7+ years ago? Sure. But it definitely isn't "never." Especially since shaman stacking during Sunwell was the most visible example of what brought about the "Bring the player, not the class" philosophy.

If we get a permanent Fire Elemental, and it hits like a fucking Searing Totem I'd rather not have it at all honestly. I would take that as an insult.
    It is very unlikely that FE becomes permanent:

1.The CD is still 5min, imagine a hunter having a 5min CD on summoning his pet
    2.You get 100% more maelstrom for 15seconds after summoning, resummoning your pet every 5min for a 15sec dmg buff sounds quite unlikely.
    3.It is currently impossible to have 2 controllable pets at once, if you spec Storm Elemental & PE, you couldn't use Storm Elemental because you already have a controllable pet.

Yeah they're definitely not making FE a pet. By default it is uncontrollable; they wouldn't give you a permanent mindless pet.

Does anyone know if we will have the ability to move a totem once its down? With EQ totem and wind rush totem, a totemic projection ability would finally be useful. Without it, it makes me question why in gods name did EQ get tied to a totem. Also, wind rush totem won't affect nearly as many people as druids roar unless you can relocate it at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Prankish View Post
    Does anyone know if we will have the ability to move a totem once its down? With EQ totem and wind rush totem, a totemic projection ability would finally be useful. Without it, it makes me question why in gods name did EQ get tied to a totem. Also, wind rush totem won't affect nearly as many people as druids roar unless you can relocate it at least once.
    Totems are reticulated themselves. So when you cast the EQ totem (35-yard range) it works just like EQ on live. Queue spell, place reticule, click again. The same will exist for wind rush (40-yard range), maelstrom (40), spirit-link (40), earthen shield (40) and the talented CC totems (35). As far as I can tell from tooltips healing stream, healing tide, and cloud burst are the only ones that don't have range on them right now.

Whether or not we can project an already placed totem (as one would hope with wind rush) is currently unclear, as I do not see projection on wowhead's list of class skills.

7+ Year Old Account
    ahh I miss the days back in cata...when we didnt have anything at all....no defensive cds.. no mobility...no self healing...nothing...the one thing we had was burst dmg, and that was good enough for me...bursting someone down from 100% to 10% in half a second in pvp...if they bring that back... im all good..

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree but the biggest problem with that was we where way too burtsty and i agree with that. WOD for all its complete f-ups to the class at least tried to stop and lower the Burstiness of most specs....they did too well on Shaman making it a rampup spellcaster with no actual ramp. Even arcane mages who where not burstly but high maintained stable DPS is more burstly, hits harder in general and has less cooldowns and abilities to watch or manage. It just seems that the 'FIX' to burst damage only really affected elemental and that is where our numbers problem is currently coming from.

On a side note: On Live we have 3 spells that have the same long ass castime, Hit for roughly the same damage. It is a Number tuning issue. Lavaburst should hit like a Hunters Aimed shot. with its castime and auto - crit functionality. But unfortunatly it hits for less than a critting Lightningbolt and Elemental Blast literally doesnt support its weight in the stats it gives, its castime,The fact that its a Major talent and its raw damage. All 3 spells hit for roughly about 30-32k on crits. Multistrike on live is horrible in comparison to our older Mastery of Elemental overload. 75% of damage with Elemental Overload, 40 percent damage with Multistrike. there alone is a major discrepancy in numbers that our molten Earth mastery currently does not even remotely fill.

Just saying all the numbers have to be tuned correctly this time dont worry about the spells and stuff it comes down to the numbers and how we use said spells to do set roles....if those are not up to scratch we will be in the same boat we have been in all WOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    feels like they're removing all of our CD's all of our totems and offering them back in talents?

lol thats fucking pathetic.

hey blizz how about i take everything from your life, and offer you them back in a 1 outta 3 choice, your house your car or your family? cmon blizz you can't have all 3, even though previously you could. NOW i'm offering you an upgrade of only 1 of those 3! what a deal!
    There are mechanics some players dont like, making them talents gives the players choices.
    Besides more isnt better, id rather have 4 interesting abilities that deal a shit ton of damage than 50 that deal sweet fuck all individually

Quote Originally Posted by gambit998 View Post
    On a side note: On Live we have 3 spells that have the same long ass castime, Hit for roughly the same damage. It is a Number tuning issue. Lavaburst should hit like a Hunters Aimed shot. with its castime and auto - crit functionality. But unfortunatly it hits for less than a critting Lightningbolt and Elemental Blast literally doesnt support its weight in the stats it gives, its castime,The fact that its a Major talent and its raw damage. All 3 spells hit for roughly about 30-32k on crits. Multistrike on live is horrible in comparison to our older Mastery of Elemental overload. 75% of damage with Elemental Overload, 40 percent damage with Multistrike. there alone is a major discrepancy in numbers that our molten Earth mastery currently does not even remotely fill.
    This really is one of my main complaints with the spec, all clunkiness about it aside. Everything just feels the same, and there's never really that moment you where you go "Wow, look at that". The look and feel of Lava Burst makes you expect it, but every time you're just left with disappointment to see it hit for more than your average Lightning Bolt. Even our DPS cooldown is just us spamming massive disappointment for 15 seconds.

With the new resource system there's finally room for that serious "Oomph" the spec is so sorely missing, and out of everything they could possibly do with the Shaman class, considering where we draw our power from, they decide to keep Earth Shock as our "spender". Seriously, Earth Shock. It's about as dull looking as you possibly get. Honestly just making it the animation of an instant Elemental Blast would be a 100 times better, although a little bit lazy. Maybe even have it look bigger and more powerful depending on how much Maelstrom you spend on it. Anything, just not Earth Shock. It's. So. Fucking. Boring.

Another thing. They finally remove that God awful Searing Totem, and then they rework it into Maelstrom Totem. Just why? I mean, at least I'm not forced into taking it, but couldn't they at least try to come up with something a little more interesting? Alongside Mages, Elemental Shamans should be the easiest spec in the game to make something that at least look and feel awesome. Instead we get Maelstrom Totem as the newly designed (not really) active DPS option. Here's hoping it at least look differently than tomato-sauced meatballs getting lobbed at the boss.

Another thing. They finally remove that God awful Searing Totem, and then they rework it into Maelstrom Totem. Just why? I mean, at least I'm not forced into taking it, but couldn't they at least try to come up with something a little more interesting?
    Maelstrom currently deals 80% SP as damage, that's as much as the LB tooltip in the calculator.

Plus it deals nature damage, hence interacts with Lightning Rod.

Maelstrom is fine in my view, Path of Flame & Elemental fusion are the boring ones.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2015-11-25 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Maelstrom currently deals 80% SP as damage, that's as much as the LB tooltip in the calculator.

Maelstrom is fine in my view, Path of Flame & Elemental fusion are the boring ones.
    Fair enough if it actually does decent damage, I'm just not a big fan of these "Hit and forget kind of effects", especially not if they seem to just enough to be worthless casting, like the current version of Searing Totem.

And yeah, Path of Flame and Elemental Fusion aren't exactly interesting either, though I suppose it serves their philosophy well by providing some passive options if you don't want to make your rotation more advanced.

I know it's just alpha, but unless Path of Flame gets changed then Maelstrom Totem is going to be our go to talent. I only see Path of Flame being picked up if you take Ascendance, and that's still pretty iffy. I think Totemic Fury is going to be our go to talent at 100 as well since you could realistically get 2 of those off in one fight.

Fair enough if it actually does decent damage, I'm just not a big fan of these "Hit and forget kind of effects"
    It's simply not a "hit and forget" effect, you actually gain more resources by using Maelstrom, that is a decent effect.

If it fires off, let's say 12 bolts during those 15seconds, that's 60 Maelstrom, which is quite good in my view.

Throw in the 5min Fire Ele CD which doubles your Maelstrom generation for 15seconds, then you probably gain an additional full Earth shock thanks to Maelstrom totem.

It's simply not a "hit and forget" effect, you actually gain more resources by using Maelstrom, that is a decent effect.

If it fires off, let's say 12 bolts during those 15seconds, that's 60 Maelstrom, which is quite good in my view.

Throw in the 5min Fire Ele CD which doubles your Maelstrom generation for 15seconds, then you probably gain an additional full Earth shock thanks to Maelstrom totem.
    Yes, thanks. I know what it does.

Fair enough if it actually does decent damage, I'm just not a big fan of these "Hit and forget kind of effects", especially not if they seem to just enough to be worthless casting, like the current version of Searing Totem.
    Unlike the other two talents in the tree, it at least has the potential to be interesting. The extra maelstrom generation is a huge boon for AoE/Burst/Movement, but dropping maelstrom too early or too late will have significant ramifications.

If you need to drop an Earthquake at T = 10, when do you drop maelstrom? Drop it too early and you might cap forcing you to use Earth Shock. This would mean you have to recharge all your maelstrom before you can drop EQ? Drop it too late and you might not have enough maelstrom to get a second EQ off. Thus any boss with timer-based abilities can fluctuate the ideal usage. That, to me, is far more interesting than the two passive talents.

However, if using it on CD is stronger than either of the other two talents for patchwerk damage, then it is highly problematic and merely a searing totem replacement. Tuning will matter greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyolsen View Post
    If you need to drop an Earthquake at T = 10, when do you drop maelstrom? Drop it too early and you might cap forcing you to use Earth Shock. This would mean you have to recharge all your maelstrom before you can drop EQ? Drop it too late and you might not have enough maelstrom to get a second EQ off. Thus any boss with timer-based abilities can fluctuate the ideal usage. That, to me, is far more interesting than the two passive talents.
    You can refresh FS to dump 20 Maelstrom or just hit ES early on, like on 50 Maelstrom, then you have enough time left to generate Maelstrom for Earthquake without losing anything.

You can refresh FS to dump 20 Maelstrom or just hit ES early on, like on 50 Maelstrom, then you have enough time left to generate Maelstrom for Earthquake without losing anything.
    Frost Shock is also available as a 20-point dump and will almost certainly do more up front than Flame Shock (though less than a lightning bolt if current values hold), but your point is well taken.

Regardless, your counterpoint still feeds my argument that Maelstrom totem is at least potentially interesting. If it forces you to dump maelstrom early, that's still a dynamic that does not exist with the other two talents in the tier. Using Earth Shock early, even when it does more than a lightning bolt has all sorts of opportunity cost questions that go into answering whether it's better to ES, Flame Shock, or Frost Shock in that instance..

My biggest issues with Ele from what I can see are:
    1.) Ele pets being pushed to a core aspect of the spec...no thanks!
    2.) Sham Rage being taken away and replaced with a talent that is essentially exactly the same but double the cooldown. wtf?

Pure gameplay predictions at this point would be premature.
    Last edited by Northy; 2015-11-27 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    My biggest issues with Ele from what I can see are:
    1.) Ele pets being pushed to a core aspect of the spec...no thanks!
    2.) Sham Rage being taken away and replaced with a talent that is essentially exactly the same but double the cooldown. wtf?

Pure gameplay predictions at this point would be premature.
    The new earth elemental isn't that much the same. It affects raid members too, which is a pretty big deal.