Poll: Who has a PhD?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What is the certification and what field?
    I hold an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. The highest level of pilot certificate offered in this country.

Like I said, I know it's not comparable to a PhD. Mostly tongue in cheek, but all the same it was rather big accomplishment.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Finishing my bachelors in Chemistry, planning on getting a masters later on.. LOVE my major and I do NOT see myself doing anything else heh

If you talk to people about grad school, at least grad school involving the writing of a dissertation, you'll notice nobody says they went "to" grad school. Almost everyone I've ever met says they went "through" grad school. If you're thinking about doing that sort of grad work the best I can tell you is that you need to start thinking of it as an apprenticeship to a master of a craft and not as more schooling. Nothing you presently know and understand about how schooling works will apply to grad school beyond basic reading and writing skills. It requires a special flavor of crazy to make it through, and though you have to be very smart to get in, surviving has nothing to do with intelligence. All that said, having the Dr before my name has opened a lot of doors for me, and though it sucked unholy balls I don't regret doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PhD degree is different in different countries. A PhD from a Finnish university, and from the Nordic universities in general, is considered to be a "higher doctorate" and requires several original publications (3-6 or so) in peer-reviewed academic journals, for the thesis. As such, the Finnish PhD is similar to the DSc degree (or equivalent) in the UK, whereas the UK PhD is a bit lighter.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was for a while, does that count? I was tempted by the dark side (money!) and stopped working on it after a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yumae View Post
    Out of curiosity, where are you speaking from? In the US salaries in academia vary widely on discipline, with humanities faculty often making significantly less than their counterparts in business for example.
    Turkey. All fields are paid same in state universities. The difference lies on the rank. I graduated from a private university, not state and it is same. I can't be sure for all private universities tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    First of all, I believe that a PhD is something for you personally, to show you have mastered a field.
    If that was the case, post-doc wouldn't be pretty much industry standard. I wouldn't use "mastered a field" for any fresh PhD graduate.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the very beginning stages of working on one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not yet doing a PhD, hoping to be able to do one after I finish my master biology (1,5 year to go)
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    How far from your Ph.D. field is your current work?
    Pretty unrelated. I used to work in immunology, now I work with medical software. There's a thin connection there, but it's not much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Getting paid more in Academia or outside? Assuming it's former, I didn't know people were paid based on their discipline rather than academical rank. Well, at least, it's not like that in here. All disciplines are paid equally.
    I'm referring to outside of the academy. Had I gone with CS and gone into development, I'd be paid a lot more than I ever was likely to be in science.

Worth mentioning is that professorial positions do differ substantially in pay across departments in the US though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by omega8 View Post
    why dont you guys invest you re time in making insane money than doing a phd if you are "smart"
    Most of the smartest people I know haven't really had much interest in making insane money. Making good money, sure, everyone wants to live comfortably. Intellect tends to incline people towards careers of curiosity though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might someday, but I need work experience under my belt, and I'm hoping getting a masters will help employers choose me despite my lack of jobs (bar 2 summers in Belize).

If I was going to get one, it would be in either public health or seismology since those are my fields of interest.

don't even have a degree, so no.

Deleted
    I might someday, but I need work experience under my belt...
    Why?

You either know something or you don't.

Have more confidence Ms. Crissi.

7+ Year Old Account
    No PhD for me.
    Finished High School, got an Associates degree in Criminal Justice and now working as a cook. Yes I make a decent living

Two advanced degrees was enough for me. Was planning on getting one originally, but it wasn't worth the effort given the job market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Working on biology PhD atm, its pretty fun, lots of work but it's not really work, because I look forward to being in lab

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I might someday, but I need work experience under my belt, and I'm hoping getting a masters will help employers choose me despite my lack of jobs (bar 2 summers in Belize).

If I was going to get one, it would be in either public health or seismology since those are my fields of interest.
    I'm trying to get into a program for one..... I'm at the very start stages.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Why?

You either know something or you don't.

Have more confidence Ms. Crissi.
    Oh Im confident in what I know. Its getting HR managers to accept that vs a limited resume that's the problem lol.

Deleted
    Oh Im confident in what I know. Its getting HR managers to accept that vs a limited resume that's the problem lol.
    Know what you are worth. If you learn something of value, you will be ok. Keep in mind that our generation won't retire.

I'll hopefully be working on one in a few years. Currently doing post grad work while I work out what exactly I want to study for my masters.