Thread: Blood Tap Gone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Oh? Sorry, must have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Datamined DK abilities actually do have a 1.5s GCD in 7.0.

http://legion.wowhead.com/spell=52374/blood-strike
    http://legion.wowhead.com/spell=43265/death-and-decay
    http://legion.wowhead.com/spell=49184/howling-blast

My assumption is that the DK GCD (and DK cooldowns, for that matter) will scale gracefully with haste, just like ret paladins. I always thought that was a more elegant solution than a static global cooldown. I would be very surprised and dismayed if DKs were reverted to a 1.5s GCD not scaling with haste.
    No, please don't take away our 1 sec GCD )':
    I was so happy when they made it availble to Blood and Frost, they can't take it away now!

1.5s GCD scaling with haste is fine by me. It's slightly less bursty in PvP, but otherwise functionally identical and (IMO) feels better.

1.5s GCD not scaling with haste would be disastrous, though.

Blood tap was a crutch and a boring talent they were forced to design around.

Nothing about it was interesting or engaging.
    Last edited by RockmSockm; 2015-11-25 at 07:59 AM.

Nothing about runic empowerment or runic corruption is interesting or engaging either.

i don't see the need for this row to exist. should be replaced with something that has nothing to do with resources.

Deleted
    I don't mind having a resource regeneration row, but it should have a big impact on your rotation, especially considering that's the plan with the legion rework.
    As it stands, RE and RC work almost identical, and the new Runic Longevity doesn't change it up by much either.
    If the row stays as it is now, we'll have the choice between "no change in rotation" (RC), "always have 4 runes on cd" (RE) and "allows for 4 runes off cd" (RL) which is way too subtle of a difference to warrant a talent row. There are many ways to make this row more interesting, and I really hope they change it until beta starts.

I really wish they would flush the row and come up with something more interesting. And no, more interesting does not mean taking existing spells and forcing us to choose between them :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I'm actually glad to see Blood Tap gone. I'm a weirdo who actually likes RE, at least with Frost. It's fun to have some randomness thrown in; I'd rather have that then have everything be really boring and static. Most people just macro'd Blood Tap anyways, it really didn't make a huge difference in performance. It'd be cool to just see some new choices but, meh. I'd rather have rune refreshing be a fairly simple, not manually-controlled thing, and then have more abilities that allowed you to work around the RNG. For me, that is more fun than just micromanaging with Blood Tap. I do miss the old Wrath-era Blood Tap though.

Anyone that macro'd Blood Tap was doing it wrong and would have been better off with another talent.

I (playing Blood) just kept Blood Tap bound to mouse scroll up and plague leach bound to scroll down with side by side weak auras right above my MagicRunes bars. Scroll up for a precise amount of blood taps, down for runes on CD, scroll up and down like a madman in oh-shit-I'm-about-to-die-and-out-of-resources situations.

I liked the functionality of it because you could go from empty-death strike in 1 GCD, "fix" an orphaned rune to get a death strike, pool another 2 (4 with plague leech) runes for a breath cycle, or pool runes while you're off-tanking with low resolve for a solid 10-20 seconds of god-like near invulnerability from the constant string of rune taps and death strikes a fully pooled Blood DK can manage. All of that will be gone if the talents go live as is and it will be missed.

That said, Blood Tap would be a very strong candidate for an artifact ability, perhaps even modified to be stronger, like you're drawing runes out of the weapon itself. So it's disheartening to be losing it, but there's a strong chance we aren't really losing it.

The randomness is only part of why many people hate RE; it's the gaming that really annoyed most of us. I call it "negative gameplay", purposefully not spending some of your resources to ensure refreshes are used on the rune you want. That won't apply to the 7.0 model because all runes can be used on any ability. So it's either active (and very annoying/negative to use) or completely passive (and thus introducing no gameplay at all). Neither solution is a strong talent.

Strong talents change gameplay in some fundamental way or give the player options they didn't have before. The player should want all 3 talents on a given tier and be forced to make an agonizing choice between three awesome possibilities. Picking the one that seems the least annoying, which happens all too often, is a great indication of a poor talent tier.

That's my criticism of the MoP-style talent tier system in a nutshell-- I love how it's designed mechanically, I just hate most of the choices we were given. And that applies to most tiers across all classes, not just DKs!

Yeah I never enjoyed "gaming" runes. That is crappy gameplay, plain and simple, IMO. I loved Frost in Wrath, but when the abomination of 'master frost" became a thing, that's when I loathed RE/gaming.

I can see Blood Tap being important for Blood, but for Frost/Unholy...meh. Maybe in PVP, but PVE? Eh.

Anyways, I'm excited to see how the rotation/priority flows in 7.0. It would've been cooler to see a new kind of rune regen though.