Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I'm loving the shit out of this game. Lara never looked better. Her facial expression, the hair! The scenery!

Playing it on high, cos I shit on Ultra settings. Who needs that. :P

Totally glad they kept the gameplay similar to the 2013 reboot, too. It was near perfect, why ruin it with pointless gimmicks.
    Last edited by Slant; 2016-01-29 at 12:30 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    I played the PC version yesterday for a bit. It does look amazing imho but I think it's not very well optimized since even on my GTX 980 i can't max it and keep it at around 60fps. But gameplay wise it seems like the 2013 ones with a few more upgrades and some sort of language learning system thrown in which i don't mind since i liked the 2013 one a lot.
    From what I've read, your graphics card just isn't good enough.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Depends on the resolution, it's silly if a 980 can't max the game in 1080p. The game doesn't look *that* amazing, so I'd certainly chalk that up to optimization.

Be sure to have the latest drivers that are "ready" for the game though, I've read that there are unnecessary slowdowns on older drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    I dunno man, seeing that there are only 2 videocards that are better ( 980 ti and Titan X ) ,having my gpu not be good enough is clearly an issue with the developers and not my gpu.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Depends on the resolution, it's silly if a 980 can't max the game in 1080p. The game doesn't look *that* amazing, so I'd certainly chalk that up to optimization.

Be sure to have the latest drivers that are "ready" for the game though, I've read that there are unnecessary slowdowns on older drivers.
    Yes i use the latest driver. I just read though that the AA i'm using is a major performance hog and kind of broken so i will try switching it to a lower one to see if that fixes it. And i run it at 1080p

Running a Nvidia 980; 1080p. With a lot of the options set to High or Medium, one or two like Texture Resolution to Ultra. A lot of PP effects disabled. AA is disabled. No V-Sync. With latest drivers 361.75.

I'm getting lots of random dips into the 10-20 fps. It runs half of the time at 40-50 fps and the other half at about 30 fps.

The game was well optimized for the first 30 minutes. Ran beautifully smooth at 50+ fps (With all Graphics/Display settings set to Max)

But the game just gets worse and worse the farther I get into the campaign and I'm running at a Medium/High settings now, and it's getting jarring with the drops everywhere.

--------------
    I really liked the Tomb Raider reboot because none of the enemies were addressing each-other in this ridiculous cliche military lingo. They even sometimes acted like destitute scavengers on a cursed island.

But holy fuck do I turn my sound off whenever possible with these Trinity dip-shits. Listening to "Yes Sir!", "Roger that!", "Bla bla blah military lingo" bullshit makes my ears bleed. Coupled with "We are a religious sect" is just cliche and stupid as fuck.

I'm already a demented, mass-murdering, psychotic bitch. Why do I need to add another layer of shell-shock to this pitiful girl? Just the fact that they play her off as a "Unsure, innocent" mass-murderer just makes her feel even more icky.

The new face capture tech is nice, but I can't find a reason to watch the cinematics yet. I skip them and enjoy the game...

Oh, I'm murdering every animal out their to, so that's something to add to my rep sheet.

I've just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC and I'm not impressed.

This is a thoroughly unremarkable and mediocre game.

The story lacks continuity. Suddenly in 2015, Lara's main obsession becomes vindicating the work of his father who died in 2003, while almost entirely disregarding the events of the previous game, which barely even get a mention. The story is also bland and uninteresting. It rehashes the same story elements of the previous game. There's an ancient civilization. They have magical powers. There's even another army of undead soldiers. And Lara has to mow through thousands of mercenaries to achieve her goal. Throughout the excessively long story, Lara is adamant about exposing the source, except at the ending, which was rushed, she suddenly but predictably decides against it for no explicable reason because, OF COURSE it's a story trope that magic can't be exposed to the wider world. I seriously doubt that anyone can possibly care for such a lame story.

The game mechanics are also rehashed from the previous game. There are conveniently placed ropes, ladders, planks, rock cliffs everywhere that makes no sense in the environment. One can only wonder how Trinity soldiers get put on platforms that can only be access by Lara's jumping skills or how anyone ever gets around this world without a climbing axe and bow and rope (like that tower you have to light). The most egregious example is the Orrery puzzle, as if an ancient civilization a thousand years ago made the most contrived video game puzzle specifically designed for Lara's skill set. This game also has more unnecessary and random explosions than a Micheal Bay movie.

Overall, a thoroughly mediocre and unremarkable game.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2016-01-30 at 12:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game is fun, just like the previous edition. Good gameplay and nice graphics, Lara sexy as always

If you wanted realism and played the last game (or any of the older games) you should have known what you're getting.

As always, the story is lacking, but it's fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    I've just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC and I'm not impressed.

This is a thoroughly unremarkable and mediocre game.

The story lacks continuity. Suddenly in 2015, Lara's main obsession becomes vindicating the work of his father who died in 2003, while almost entirely disregarding the events of the previous game, which barely even get a mention. The story is also bland and uninteresting. It rehashes the same story elements of the previous game. There's an ancient civilization. They have magical powers. There's even another army of undead soldiers. And Lara has to mow through thousands of mercenaries to achieve her goal. Throughout the excessively long story, Lara is adamant about exposing the source, except at the ending, which was rushed, she suddenly but predictably decides against it for no explicable reason because, OF COURSE it's a story trope that magic can't be exposed to the wider world. I seriously doubt that anyone can possibly care for such a lame story.

The game mechanics are also rehashed from the previous game. There are conveniently placed ropes, ladders, planks, rock cliffs everywhere that makes no sense in the environment. One can only wonder how Trinity soldiers get put on platforms that can only be access by Lara's jumping skills or how anyone ever gets around this world without a climbing axe and bow and rope (like that tower you have to light). The most egregious example is the Orrery puzzle, as if an ancient civilization a thousand years ago made the most contrived video game puzzle specifically designed for Lara's skill set. This game also has more unnecessary and random explosions than a Micheal Bay movie.

Overall, a thoroughly mediocre and unremarkable game.
    Someone is taking Tomb Raider way too serious.

Have you played Tomb Raider games? Watched the shitty movies? If you want it to be "super srs realistic story time" you bought the wrong game and that's your fault not the developers...

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Someone is taking Tomb Raider way too serious.

Have you played Tomb Raider games? Watched the shitty movies? If you want it to be "super srs realistic story time" you bought the wrong game and that's your fault not the developers...
    Lack of realism in the gameplay is just one of the many issues I outlined.

Others include, lack of continuity with the previous game, a bland and lame story, and the game mechanics being entirely rehashed.

6.5/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Lack of realism in the gameplay is just one of the many issues I outlined.

Others include, lack of continuity with the previous game, a bland and lame story, and the game mechanics being entirely rehashed.

6.5/10.
    Still think you're overreacting to a Tomb Raider game.

I got exactly what I expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those interested, Gamestop has this game for 17.99 PC download. And the season pass is only 8.99. That's a hell of a deal for a game that just released on PC less than a month ago.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Deleted
    I have loved these two reboots - But Lara needs to kill less men, raid more tombs, and solve more puzzles. If anything in Rise, there should have been more emphasis on combat with the end game "immortals"

Rise of the tomb raider followed a structure throughout:
    - Run to a position
    - Climb from that position
    - Kill men, fight through set piece
    - MAYBE solve a small puzzle
    - Repeat

Take me back to an Egyptian tomb, to fight mummies, and solve puzzles more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    For those interested, Gamestop has this game for 17.99 PC download. And the season pass is only 8.99. That's a hell of a deal for a game that just released on PC less than a month ago.
    Must have been a bug, shows up full price for me : (