Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How much money was spent in the fight against Gay Marriage in the US?

I'm trying to find out the estimated cost of the total amount of money total spent by state/local governments who fought against marriage, but surprisingly I can't seem to find that number online. Lawyers costs add up. Are there any sites that have tried to come up with the number? It must be in the millions I'm assuming. I'm just curious to see how many money was literally wasted fighting for something that ended up being ruled ok by the Supreme Court.

Anyone have an idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot. That much I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I'm trying to find out the estimated cost of the total amount of money total spent by state/local governments who fought against marriage, but surprisingly I can't seem to find that number online. Lawyers costs add up. Are there any sites that have tried to come up with the number? It must be in the millions I'm assuming. I'm just curious to see how many money was literally wasted fighting for something that ended up being ruled ok by the Supreme Court.

Anyone have an idea?
    Probably close to the amount of time you are wasting posting gay marriage threads today.

10+ Year Old Account
    The California Proposition 8 campaign spent $106,000,000 on ads and what not. Outside of that I don't think it was as hotly debated elsewhere, it either was or wasn't. By that I mean the state legislatures made it legal or illegal themselves and it wasn't a ballot issue.

If you include legal fees for several years it was probably a few tens of millions more.

If you include the Republican party and all of their spending, it is billions, but that is pretty silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    Probably close to the amount of time you are wasting posting gay marriage threads today.
    It's a valid thread. Gay marriage was a huge topic in the US, and just because a certain side lost, doesn't mean they have to have hissy fits over it now these days. I got into a chat with a friend who's against welfare, social programs, etc. He told me that the government wastes entirely too much money on those things, so I wondered how much money was spent in the fight against gay marriage.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2015-11-23 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a valid thread. Gay marriage was a huge topic in the US, and just because a certain side lost, doesn't mean they have to have hissy fits over it now these days. I got into a chat with a friend who's against welfare, social programs, etc. He told me that the government wastes entirely too much money on those things, so I wondered how much money was wasted in the fight against gay marriage.
    The government doesn't really spend anything on these issues, it is interest groups.

Probably enough to feed and house the entire homeless population of the country for a while, assuming we add up all the opposition spending over the past decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The California Proposition 8 campaign spent $106,000,000 on ads and what not. Outside of that I don't think it was as hotly debated elsewhere, it either was or wasn't. By that I mean the state legislatures made it legal or illegal themselves and it wasn't a ballot issue.

If you include legal fees for several years it was probably a few tens of millions more.

If you include the Republican party and all of their spending, it is billions, but that is pretty silly.
    Was it really that much for California alone? I agree with you, but I do feel we should include relevant Republican party spending. Now not every state had massive ad campaigns against it, as not all states have referendums, but

Half a billion might be a fair conservative estimate if you are to include all 50 states, along with years of litigation, and other funding.

The government doesn't really spend anything on these issues, it is interest groups.
    this right here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Was it really that much for California alone? I agree with you, but I do feel we should include relevant Republican party spending. Now not every state had massive ad campaigns against it, as not all states have referendums, but

Half a billion might be a fair conservative estimate if you are to include all 50 states, along with years of litigation, and other funding.
    Correction, that was the total spending of campaigns both for and against it.

It's a valid thread. Gay marriage was a huge topic in the US, and just because a certain side lost, doesn't mean they have to have hissy fits over it now these days. I got into a chat with a friend who's against welfare, social programs, etc. He told me that the government wastes entirely too much money on those things, so I wondered how much money was spent in the fight against gay marriage.
    People can spend their private money on what they want. Because government's money is the peoples money, there should be accountability of it not being waste. Two completely different things.

How much money and time was spent in the fight FOR Gay marriage would be a better question. Because if someone is fighting against something someone has to be fighting for it.
    Have a wonderful day.

Another great question is... Why should the very very minuscule minority dictate what happens to the very very large majority of Americans? Shouldn't the majority rule? This is a democratic society after all. I am not neccessarily talking about the aforementioned subject matter in particular.

Deleted
    Every last penny spent on it? :X

10+ Year Old Account
    Correction, that was the total spending of campaigns both for and against it.
    Ah ok. Maybe 300 million to stop it, maybe a bit more to allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Because if someone is fighting against something someone has to be fighting for it.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Not always. It just means the thing they are fighting against exists in the eyes of those opposing this thing.

Another great question is... Why should the very very minuscule minority dictate what happens to the very very large majority of Americans? Shouldn't the majority rule? This is a democratic society after all. I am not neccessarily talking about the aforementioned subject matter in particular.
    How did the "very very large majority" have anything happen to them in this situation? I never got my gay husband if that was forced, though I don't think a gay dude would be interested in me so probably for the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not neccessarily talking about the aforementioned subject matter in particular.
    Considering the subject of this very thread, I'd recon that yes you in fact are talking about the aforementioned subject matter in particular.

To which the answer is yes, the majority rules. Gay marriage, for example, might have started as a minority fighting a battle but they didn't "win" until the majority supported them. The majority of Americans ended up supporting gay marriage, and the majority of justices ruled in favor of gay marriage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Over the last 200 years? Probably more than our national debt.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Over the last 200 years? Probably more than our national debt.
    The lobbying for gay marriage has not been happening for 200 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    Probably enough to feed and house the entire homeless population of the country for a while, assuming we add up all the opposition spending over the past decade.

Probably the best, and at the same time worst answer out there. So much good could have been done with this money - any money really!

Deleted
    Another great question is... Why should the very very minuscule minority dictate what happens to the very very large majority of Americans?
    Is your gay marriage not working out well for you? I'm guessing that's what you're talking about right? I mean that's what happened, people got the right to be equal and then all the straight people had to go out and marry gay ones...or am I getting that wrong?

Shouldn't the majority rule?
    Nope. In fact aren't there provisions in the constitution to counter that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2015-11-23 at 09:24 PM.