Poll: Is the Dark Ranger fantasy satisified in Legion?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The Dark Ranger fantasy cannot be satisfied until Blizzard gives a Forsaken High (blood) elf skeleton as some kind of subrace.
    Really? When Sylvanas was the one who against the whole OH elves are the only one who should be rangers or accepted to be one? If you are good you should get the title like what happened to Nathanos and considering the spoilers I think sylvanas would want more forsaken rangers. Considering the dark ranger is her spin on the elf one.

Saying it could only be satisfied by playing an undead elf goes against the problems Sylvanas had with the rangers in the first place and I am glad its a level 100 talent as well. Since its an elite title.

Plus do we need to increase the elf population even more?

Quote Originally Posted by shinros View Post
    Really? When Sylvanas was the one who against the whole OH elves are the only one who should be rangers or accepted to be one? If you are good you should get the title like what happened to Nathanos and considering the spoilers I think sylvanas would want more forsaken rangers. Considering the dark ranger is her spin on the elf one.

Saying it could only be satisfied by playing an undead elf goes against the problems Sylvanas had with the rangers in the first place and I am glad its a level 100 talent as well. Since its an elite title.

Plus do we need to increase the elf population even more?
    Agreed. The DH population alone is going to be obnoxious. Last thing we need is hordes of undead Hunter elves running around.

Deleted
    Major Traits

Call of the Hunter (Rank 1) - Marked Shot has a chance to summon a regiment of fallen hunters to rain arrows down upon your foes.

Forgive me if it's been posted, but it's not only Dark Ranger talent summoning a Dark Minion. The artifact trait summons undead ranged minions as well. Marksman is a Dark Ranger, pretty much, period. Or a Diablo 3 Demon Hunter.

I like it, from an aesthetical perspective. It's just a shame the abilities and their interactions are such a downgrade from the current marksmanship spec.
    Last edited by mmoc92c203c636; 2015-11-27 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BedlamBros View Post
    I'd bet money that it's going to be a minor glyph.
    I really really really want this to be the case.

WTB undead femBElfs

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    Not at all. Having passive effects does not really give the impression of being half mage half hunter. A Dark Ranger should feel more like a Spellslinger from Wildstar, dark magics combined with masterful archery. Marksmanship is 98% archery 2% magic.
    Black Arrow and summoning Crows are considered magic, unless you throw bread at your target :P Same goes for summoning skeletons and shooting arcane bolts.

Fantasy would be complete if we got Exotic Munitions which are viable option and if Dark Ranger talent altered your appearance a bit :P
    Last edited by Huggykaze; 2015-11-27 at 01:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    WTB undead femBElfs
    We are going to have an obnoxious amount of elves thanks to DH I don't think we need to add any more to that just embrace playing a normal undead hunter. With our wonderful glowing yellow eyes and gear looking awesome on us.

Still I don't get the idea where you have to be an undead elf to be a dark ranger when sylvanas was against all of that in the first place with nathanos. ; /

Quote Originally Posted by Rufix View Post
    Black Arrow and summoning Crows are considered magic, unless you throw bread at your target :P Same goes for summoning skeletons and shooting arcane bolts.

Fantasy would be complete if we got Exotic Munitions which are viable option and if Dark Ranger talent altered your appearance a bit :P
    The MM hunter artifact also has an ability that causes your marked shot to summon a regiment of fallen hunters. So more necromancy!

you dont maybe, but Sylvanas is and all of her other Dark Rangers are as far as i know

I dont want to be a Nathanos as cool as he is, I want to be those Dark Rangers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    you dont maybe, but Sylvanas is and all of her other Dark Rangers are as far as i know

I dont want to be a Nathanos as cool as he is, I want to be those Dark Rangers
    I am just saying there is a reason why sylvanas wants Nathanos to train all the new hunters that are being risen since she considers Nathanos the best of the lot hence why she wanted him to be a ranger lord.

Anyway I think I misunderstood your post because some people have the idea that you have the be an undead elf to be a dark ranger which I disagree with.

Nathanos doesnt wear that characteristic Sylvanas-like cape and cowl either, right ?

those are a big reason of why Im into Dark Ranger stuff

We are going to have an obnoxious amount of elves thanks to DH I don't think we need to add any more to that just embrace playing a normal undead hunter. With our wonderful glowing yellow eyes and gear looking awesome on us.

Still I don't get the idea where you have to be an undead elf to be a dark ranger when sylvanas was against all of that in the first place with nathanos. ; /

The MM hunter artifact also has an ability that causes your marked shot to summon a regiment of fallen hunters. So more necromancy!
    Well, I'm starting to consider dropping my beloved SV for MM :P Just need to name change to "Sylvvanaz" or something :P

with the weapon talent raising archers all I need is confirmation that t19 will be sylvanas looking and then all i gotta do is macro my abilities to different icons better suited to a dark ranger and I'm happy enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rufix View Post

You throw bread, but seriously, calling any animals in that sense is magic, crows arent any more magical than bears, and we call bears and shit

- - - Updated - - -

1) Really? When I think dark ranger I just think of a hunter who swaps out the pets and nature for necromancy. Which you can do via the talent and you have black arrow along with murder of crows. If you fight echo of sylvanas she is essentially summoning undead and using black arrow on you which explodes. Plus bloodmoth13 I think it was plain as day WHY sylvanas told nathanos of ALL people to train the new forsaken hunters.

2)He is the only human ranger lord and dark ranger I mean there must be a reason why she wants him of all people to train her hunters. Maybe she wants more future dark rangers? Since now there are no other elves to QQ at her about making and training more like Nathanos she got so much crap for doing that darn elves. Still what I am liking is that Blizzard are putting more themes in the talents for the playable races.

3)Its also stated on wowpedia "When Sylvanas Windrunner, Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, regained her physical body, she realized that the natural world would never respond to her wishes again. Angered by this development, she turned to the arts that were becoming more and more natural to her: Necromancy. She altered her elven ranger teachings into a new form. Thus, the dark rangers were born."

Its not some special power its old fashioned necromancy/shadow magic and hunter in the game as it stands does not make sense because undead hunters are not having the same issues as sylvanas. Why do you think people say that beast mastery hunter and holy priest is pure game mechanics? Unlike all the other dark rangers Nathanos would do what ever sylvanas ask's of him and if that includes training the future hunters? So be it even if he does not like it.

I am also glad that its a level 100 talent as well since as I keep saying its an elite title. When reading Nathanos text if you are a undead hunter (don't know if he says the same thing to other hunter races) its plain to me that a talent maybe coming in the future. As I said before what I like is that blizzard are inserting more themes into the talents I mean look at the farstrider talent I wonder who's that talent for?
    1) Hunters have never had any affinity to necromancy, isnt it a little odd that hunters can use necromantic powers yet warlocks, who became the original necromancers, can not? This makes as much sense as priests using moon/star magic, in fact probably even less! necromancy couldnt be any more at odds with hunters core theme
    Also it actually makes perfect sense for forsaken hunters, as they now have little affinity to the wilds in undeath yet have potent connection to the unnatural through being unnatural, so necromancy is a perfect fit for forsaken hunters, and the only instance in lore that hunters could have been trained by a dark ranger is if you are forsaken, but nobody else has any exposure to these techniques.

2) she chose nathanos because hes a fucking boss, he is known to take out armies on his own, in vanilla wow he was a raid boss for a quest, you literally needed a raid to complete the quest for him (if i remember it was something like a 40+ player raid, was outdoors) whats more, he is human and so are the rest of the forsaken, so he is the perfect trainer for the majority of forsaken.

3) Did you even read the same thing? Its pretty much exactly what i said, because she is undead (prerequisite) she no longer felt a connection to life and nature, but now necromancy became natural. Remember at this time she was still under control from arthas and surrounded by necromancers, you cant just pick up a necromancy for dummies book and become a dark ranged because you picked a talent! she was born into it the moment she died.

Wait im not sure if we are actually disagreeing on this?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    You throw bread, but seriously, calling any animals in that sense is magic, crows arent any more magical than bears, and we call bears and shit

- - - Updated - - -

1) Hunters have never had any affinity to necromancy, isnt it a little odd that hunters can use necromantic powers yet warlocks, who became the original necromancers, can not? This makes as much sense as priests using moon/star magic, in fact probably even less! necromancy couldnt be any more at odds with hunters core theme
    Also it actually makes perfect sense for forsaken hunters, as they now have little affinity to the wilds in undeath yet have potent connection to the unnatural through being unnatural, so necromancy is a perfect fit for forsaken hunters, and the only instance in lore that hunters could have been trained by a dark ranger is if you are forsaken, but nobody else has any exposure to these techniques.

2) she chose nathanos because hes a fucking boss, he is known to take out armies on his own, in vanilla wow he was a raid boss for a quest, you literally needed a raid to complete the quest for him (if i remember it was something like a 40+ player raid, was outdoors) whats more, he is human and so are the rest of the forsaken, so he is the perfect trainer for the majority of forsaken.

3) Did you even read the same thing? Its pretty much exactly what i said, because she is undead (prerequisite) she no longer felt a connection to life and nature, but now necromancy became natural. Remember at this time she was still under control from arthas and surrounded by necromancers, you cant just pick up a necromancy for dummies book and become a dark ranged because you picked a talent! she was born into it the moment she died.

Wait im not sure if we are actually disagreeing on this?
    Well, calling crows in a place which is generally crowless, like underneath Orgrimmar can be considered magic.

Classes and specs evolve, like the world and game. Dark Ranger is one of classes fulfilling Ranger's archetype which is represented as Hunters in WoW. Night Elven priests have been using moon/star magic for centuries in Azeroth. They evolved into Balance Druids for gameplay needs. Current Dark Rangers are probably dead bodies possessed by banshees, but seeing that Sylvanas has been around for several years now there's nothing weird in fact that some rangers/Hunters decided to copy her style of combat and looked up to her as a warrior. We have Druids using Arcane magic which was banned in Night Elven society for 10,000 years. We have Taurens known to carry totems use swords. We had Blood Elves stealing Light despite feeding on fel energies. Times change, world changes, not everything has to make sense.

In Vanilla you could take down Nathanos with way less than 10 people. Furthermore, game mechanics have nothing to do with lore. He never took out whole army on his own. He is tactical genius, but not fuckin' Lich King.

n life, Nathanos Marris was the first and last of the human ranger lords, trained by the high elves in the ways of war. He was a disciple of Sylvanas Windrunner, formerly Ranger-General of Quel'Thalas and now the Banshee Queen of the Forsaken.

Nathanos's accomplishments were unprecedented. He was a tactical genius, responsible for Alliance victories spanning a decade of conflict.

Sensing the encroaching turmoil that overshadowed Lordaeron, he sent his younger brother Thereas to the kingdom of Stormwind, making sure no harm would befall him.
    Here, reason why she wanted him in her ranks (pants?).

There are also gossips and rumors that Sylvanas was romantically involved with Nathanos that's why she sought him in undeath.

Not every necromancer is undead, Kel'thuzad was a necromancer before becoming Lich, but he was very much alive. Necromancy doesn't require wielder to be undead. You are over-interpreting this. As you said "dark magic and necromancy" was natural to her in death, but not because of some physical or magical reasons, they were purely mental. She had to learn to fight without natural/arcane magic, necromancy was an obvious choice for Banshee Queen. She was, and is, female Lich King. Obviously she won't use fire magic...

As for lack of exposure to non-Forsaken. We've seen Sylvanas in Orgrimmar, we've seen her in Undercity, Northrend, Cataclysm. Some fought alongside her, some against her. Obviously those on her side will pick something up, and then passively pass it to their enemies.
    Last edited by Huggykaze; 2015-11-27 at 10:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    snip
    No, I was responding to Notshauna and some other people, actually I agree with you on most points actually. I have been saying all this time that all those talents are there for forsaken hunters since they have been shafted in the hunter department. When people keep pointing out those talents don't make sense or you HAVE to be a blood elf female to be a dark ranger which I am strongly against. I play a forsaken hunter so I am the happiest person right now all those years my hunter has been training with Nathanos seems to pay off in the next expansion.

All I was saying was trying to point out that majority of the hunter skills don't work for forsaken lore wise because of the points you made in your current post and points I have said in the past. Hence blizzard adding the dark ranger talent, black arrow and the artifact passive. Plus I am happy that the dark ranger talent is level 100 talent because as you said you need the training to be a dark ranger and who is training all the risen hunters? Our good friend Nathanos.

Now if anyone else pick's those talents its pure game play mechanics in my opinion just like a holy forsaken priest and a forsaken beast mastery hunter. Lore wise the only ones who should be able to choose those talents are forsaken or possibly troll if you are roleplaying a shadow hunter.

Now on the crow thing I can see both sides I mean the skill icon looks a bit sinister in my opinion and you can easily justify you are using shadow magic or you are simply putting something on the arrow which attracts the birds. Both work in my opinion.
    Last edited by mmoc1a1d7f3c08; 2015-11-27 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    Imagine of you will a night fallen or withered as a dark ranger. Would be awesome.