Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Elitism for getting into a franchise through a popular or modern entry

TLDR: I have thought of playing Diablo III again and maybe getting into Starcraft II, but I have never played any previous games in these series. So I pretty much fear that, if somehow, I got famous in these games through ascending the leaderboards or rankings, the more hardened veterans will be like "you never played Diablo II or SC1, get the fuck out you wannabe." This fear mainly stemmed from when I got into Megami Tensei through Persona 4 and was clearly looked at with disdain from the larger SMT fanbase.

Does this bother you at all or is it worth thinking about?

I can't wrap my mind around why something like that would bother anyone. Some people are just gonna be haters for whatever reason they can pull out of their ass. Fuck 'em.

If anything, if you're in either game doing well and someone were to actually reply to you with such nonsense, throw it right back at them. "Well apparently all those years playing D2 or SC1 aren't helping you right now".

7+ Year Old Account
    You should look at the Fire Emblem websites forums and watch elitist assholes dog pile people who got into Fire Emblem through Awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    I can't wrap my mind around why something like that would bother anyone. Some people are just gonna be haters for whatever reason they can pull out of their ass. Fuck 'em.

If anything, if you're in either game doing well and someone were to actually reply to you with such nonsense, throw it right back at them. "Well apparently all those years playing D2 or SC1 aren't helping you right now".
    Aint that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    TLDR: I have thought of playing Diablo III again and maybe getting into Starcraft II, but I have never played any previous games in these series. So I pretty much fear that, if somehow, I got famous in these games through ascending the leaderboards or rankings, the more hardened veterans will be like "you never played Diablo II or SC1, get the fuck out you wannabe." This fear mainly stemmed from when I got into Megami Tensei through Persona 4 and was clearly looked at with disdain from the larger SMT fanbase.

Sorry what ? does the fear of being called a *wannabe* stop you from playing a game ?

also newsflash : None gets famous playing Diablo 3 .. none, you can get somewhere in Starcraft 2 tho so good luck with that.

no it is not worth thinking about, play the games you like, if you make a name for yourself doing so, then great, else just have fun playing the games.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    You should look at the Fire Emblem websites forums and watch elitist assholes dog pile people who got into Fire Emblem through Awakening.
    It's called being a hipster. It exists everywhere, in music, movies, games, literature etc...

People think they deserve a cookie for discovering something when it was less popular, this is not unique to video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    How can you get famous playing an easy game like Diablo 3?

Good luck getting "famous" in SC2 if you've never played before, you'll need it.

Anyway, if you did end up being a master at SC2 and other top players hated you for not being an old school player, I'd just be like, haha you're getting beat by a scrub, l2p. It's not going to happen though, play SC2 and you'll see why.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2015-11-21 at 01:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck with SC2, you're going to need it if you think its easy to get near high masters or above.

As for if someone do give you shit for it, only option is really to stop caring about what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    How can you get famous playing an easy game like Diablo 3?

Good luck getting "famous" in SC2 if you've never played before, you'll need it.

Anyway, if you did end up being a master at SC2 and other top players hated you for not being an old school player, I'd just be like, haha you're getting beat by a scrub, l2p. It's not going to happen though, play SC2 and you'll see why.
    By being on top of the Diablo leaderboard I can be satisfied.

10+ Year Old Account
    By being on top of the Diablo leaderboard I can be satisfied.
    The only requirement for that is to play 24/7 when a new season starts and nobody will care.

SC2 requires actual skill.

People who claim diablo 2 is a step to diablo 3 are idiots. Diablo 2 shits all over diablo 3. Diablo 3 might as well not even be a diablo game, Its an ok game but its def not worthy of the successor of the legend that was diablo 2. Id say hit up diablo 2 first then go diablo 3. Even though d2 is 10+ years old its still active, it still has ladder seasons and it still has a good community.

Deleted
    If you can get to the top without having played the games before in the series, that say's more for your overall skill level than experience would.

Screw those guys. You get into a game when you get into a game be it the first one or the 100th one. Simple as that. I played a lot of games before their first or second one and tbh idc what people think since it's just their opinion. Example I've played Diablo 1, Diablo 2 and 3 and I'd much rather play 3 personally and I know a lot of people who haven't played the other 2 doesn't make them worse or better than me. Some games that I've played without playing their predecessors include Fallout 4, Skyrim, a handful of ARPGS and god knows how many point and click games. And yes I've had a bit of hatred generated from some of these communities but tbh I just shrug it off.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2015-11-21 at 09:43 AM.

Literally no one is going to comment on the almost flaming narcissism of the OP? Have any of us ever gotten into a game with the expectation to end up in the top ánd pre-emptively afraid of the backlash from people jealous of the Gods we are?

When I first read the OP, I figured no one was going to take this seriously. Instead, everyone is immediately falling over the haters, but guys; There are no haters yet. There are no haters period. His 'fear' or whatever, is most likely solidified by paranoia rather than reality.

This shit is facedesk worthy.

I mean, look at his post history, like this one:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...7#post37349787

I throw up when I read his posts/topics.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2015-11-21 at 01:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about people in competitive games giving me shit because I haven't been playing as long. What bothers me is when I start playing a long running franchise like Fire Emblem for instance and people say my opinion is invalid because I started with Awakening even though I've played other games in the series. But even then I just chalk that up to fanboys being fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think it is worth considering. There are many Starcraft 2 pros out there that have never played SC1, and some of them haven't even played any RTS games at all before Starcraft 2. There will always be some jerks to pick on someone for some silly reason, but I doubt they are worth paying any attention to.

If it REALLY bothers you, spend a couple of weeks to go through SC1 campaigns and Diablo 2. Knowing the events in SC1 will help you understand better what's happening in SC2 campaigns, and Diablo 2 is just a fun hack'n'slash game. But do it because you want to, not because some jerks out there think of you worse for not doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

what do you mean by "getting famous"? do you mean having a popular stream? or winning tournament? maybe the blizzcon. And if you are really that good, wy anyone would look down on you?

I really don't get the premise of the question here. When entering a community, if you mentioned being new and not being obnoxious, pretentious, or a smart ass, everything will be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I don't really care about people in competitive games giving me shit because I haven't been playing as long. What bothers me is when I start playing a long running franchise like Fire Emblem for instance and people say my opinion is invalid because I started with Awakening even though I've played other games in the series. But even then I just chalk that up to fanboys being fanboys.
    i kinda see what you're talking about. I actually enjoyed Hitman Absolution, but some "purist" out there just had to explain to me why it's the worst hitman ever. Although i did play some blood money, i prefer the absolution.

But at no moment i could be considered "famous" playing hitman though. So that does not relate to whatever the OP is asking.

As far as OP goes, it sounds more like anxiety issues than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I throw up when I read his posts/topics.
    Honestly, I think at this point people are so jaded they just play along no matter what gets posted, or by whom. There really isn't anything that can be done about it except not responding....which can be difficult. Unfortunately there are a lot of surprisingly clever (although misguided) posters who know just how to dance that line between being facetious or genuine. You'll often hear people complain about certain posters on the forums but the fact is, those people are only successful because others choose to engage with them. It's just one of those negative side effects of using a forum that you have to be strong enough to walk away from....either way good luck friend.

It doesnt matter at all if someone played a games predecessor or not, its not going to make someone automatically better in the current game. Its also very unlikely you will get "famous" getting to the top of a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    what do you mean by "getting famous"? do you mean having a popular stream? or winning tournament? maybe the blizzcon. And if you are really that good, wy anyone would look down on you?

I really don't get the premise of the question here. When entering a community, if you mentioned being new and not being obnoxious, pretentious, or a smart ass, everything will be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

i kinda see what you're talking about. I actually enjoyed Hitman Absolution, but some "purist" out there just had to explain to me why it's the worst hitman ever. Although i did play some blood money, i prefer the absolution.

But at no moment i could be considered "famous" playing hitman though. So that does not relate to whatever the OP is asking.
    Yeah, go top the leaderboard then set up a stream on twitch, figure out what personality appeals to people, and try to get set. I feel with a game like Diablo it would be much more relaxing than a PvP game.