Is $800 to $1000 enough for WoW on highest settings?

While we would all love to be able to afford $2000+ monster PC rigs, not all of us are rich or willing to save up over the next several years...

What I want to know is, with the currant and intended requirements for World of Warcraft, will 800-1000 dollars be enough for running the game on the highest settings WITH core module sets in place as well?

I do not plan on doing any streaming or heavy duty multitasking while playing the game, but I'm also not looking to overclock or purchase water cooling systems. I'm also a die-hard Intel/Nvidia fan because you get what you pay for with them.

So, WoW running on ultra settings, factory specs, air-cooling, mid or atx tower, Intel/Nvidia, for $800-$1000... possible?

Yes but don't expect 60+fps in heavily populated areas or in 25man raids. Wow's engine is old and doesn't have the best cpu optimization. You could do an i5 with a 960 and play wow at max settings. I have a a 970 and wow barely uses more than 50% of my gpu with all settings maxed in a raid.

Would be fine for solo play but i don't know how youd cope playing on ultra with alot of people around you (cities,raids and bgs)
    You may need to lower your graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforge1 View Post
    Would be fine for solo play but i don't know how youd cope playing on ultra with alot of people around you (cities,raids and bgs)
    You may need to lower your graphics
    Doesn't matter if you have a 980 or quad 980's, you are at the mercy of the games cpu utilization.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently building a system for about $700 that is pretty much a 'best case scenario' for WoW. With amazing black friday deals you can easily get a bangin system.

These are with various prices/deals I've gotten over the past couple days. Waiting for a steal on the motherboard and ssd still.

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($185.00) (Newegg + 25 off 200)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($140.00) (Jet.com deal)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.00)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($45.00) (G2A)
    Total: $648.94
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

my 1k computer(got on cyber monday2014, so probably around 1.2k or more if you're not buying it next monday) runs with 60-90fps indoors, like in your garrison, and in auction houses and such. Get 30-60 outdoors jumping around and shit. Full ultra. in ashran I get around 23fps but its not super laggy feeling, sometimes just a slight drop in frames for a quarter of a second when whipping the camera around. get a smooth 30fps in 20 man mythic, and the same in LFR.

my gpu is a radeon r9 290, so its not the BEST, but its okay, and my cpu kinda sucks, just an amd fx 8320 eight core. pretty sure my gpu could handle wow even better if I had a better cpu, but its good enough for me.

Deleted
    Amd is a little better atm but for 1k$:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.15 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($289.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.10 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $997.09
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-25 02:33 EST-0500

Much appreciation for your replies guys!

Do part prices dip as low around Christmas at Newegg/Tigerdirect or is Black Friday/Cyber Monday the best time for parts buying? It basically means a difference of $800 and $1000 of buying potential for me.

How would this handle World of Warcraft folks? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&leaderboard=1

Deleted
    In general the asus one seems a decent price with the sale. What you don't know is what mobo comes with it, there is no ssd, it has a lower/1gen older gpu and no mention of the psu. The 200$ alone are covered by significantly better gpu gtx 970>gtx760 and ssd, besides cpu cooler and psu. Its compact and looks cool but both cpu/gpu are one gen old. It would be alot more interesting if it had a i7 4790k paired with a Z97 mobo and a gtx960 imo.

While the cpu will play fine wow or any other game the 760 (where cpu isn't the problem) won't play on ultra many games. On top of that you don't need the i7 anyway so thats one less reason for it.

Thats my take on this at least, if someone else see's it differently...

Quote Originally Posted by connor778 View Post
    my gpu is a radeon r9 290, so its not the BEST, but its okay, and my cpu kinda sucks, just an amd fx 8320 eight core. pretty sure my gpu could handle wow even better if I had a better cpu, but its good enough for me.
    AMD CPU is why your FPS in WoW is awful. Their single-threaded performance is no-joke 40% worse than Intel CPUs. WoW theoretically uses a 2nd thread now, but very little load is put on it. And when considering any PC upgrade, it's important to find out if they have any old hardware to bring to the table—mouse, keyboard, monitor, operating system, case, etc. can add considerable costs to a build if they need absolutely everything.

To Jaladras: It looks neat, but that case would be an upgrade nightmare if you ever want to replace anything, and I bet it will have heat issues as well. It's not an outrageous price for a system with a 4790K, but you are most certainly paying a decent chunk more getting the KBM and fancy case etc. with it. Building or upgrading your own is almost always the best choice.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2015-11-30 at 09:09 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    You can probably spend a lot less tbh.

For the best performance in WoW, start with a K model intel cpu + a decent cpu cooler and overclock that beast to 4.0-4.5ghz, this game is CPU bound more than anything. Then all you have to buy is a GeForce 960 or 970 and 8GB of RAM. An SSD is a good bonus for faster load time.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter