Evaluating tanks with WARCRAFT LOGS? Help please!!

Is there a way to show a graph of damage taken and also on that graph the mitigation used so I can just have 1 visual of how they're using their CDs?

Deleted
    Are they dying to obvious things?

No just stressing healers and dying at random times.

Deleted
    Deathnote is a fairly handy addon when it comes to analyzing deaths as it's much better than the deathrecaps in skada/recount

There's lots of things in WCL to help your determine if your tanks are shitters or not.

At a high level you can see their damage taken per second and external healing required per second to sustain, compared to all other tanks in the same fight to see where they stand.

More in depth you can check out their total and % of hits blocked, dodged and absorbed under the damage taken section. Under buffs you can tell how much they use active mitigation and when they use cooldowns. Can also determine their casts and rotation to see if theyre using the right abilities and talents for the encounter.

Link the log you want looked

Tanks can be a bit tricky to evaluate, since it isn't always clear exactly why they are doing certain things. For instance: on M Manno my Sblock uptime is abysmal, and at a glance it would look like I am a terrible tank, however with a much closer look you can see that I memorized his casting patterns and only used Sblock when I could get full usage out of it.

IMO even if you examine logs thoroughly, you should still talk with tanks extensively, possibly have them walk you through what they were doing on certain fights that made them do this over that and so on.
    Last edited by Herogamer555; 2015-11-26 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Formatting

Deleted
    The KRSI rating is of limited value. I find the results rather inconsistent and seemingly rather coincident.

If you want to see how good you are, then check their use of cd's and find out when they used it.

If you could provide logs and explain what fight you refer to, it would be easier to help you. Otherwise try and talk to your tanks, ask them what is up and why they are dying. Are they calling for external cd's? It could also be a fault from the healers, or from the dps (taking extensive damage).

But yeah the answer to your question is yes. There is damage taken graph and you can toggle the buffs gained to find their defensive cd's and active mitigation.
    Last edited by mmoca723c7849e; 2015-11-26 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herogamer555 View Post
    Tanks can be a bit tricky to evaluate, since it isn't always clear exactly why they are doing certain things. For instance: on M Manno my Sblock uptime is abysmal, and at a glance it would look like I am a terrible tank, however with a much closer look you can see that I memorized his casting patterns and only used Sblock when I could get full usage out of it.

IMO even if you examine logs thoroughly, you should still talk with tanks extensively, possibly have them walk you through what they were doing on certain fights that made them do this over that and so on.
    It's not just uptime if its a fight with lots of tank swaps and downtime. Can look at the % of blocked hits then. If your coverage is largely when his attacks are and not during all those cast times too then you block % could easily get 75%+

On encounters where you have 100% tank time and know block must be maintained, then the block buff uptime would be useful to look at too and % of blocks less useful, such as on HFA where there's a huge volume of attacks at all times and when block is down so block % value could drop to 60% even with perfect block uptime

Maybe if you linked logs people could help you a bit.

Deleted
    I have noticed that bad healers can make an ok tank look bad. I have experienced extreme differences on my monk, going from being spiky as hell, to hardly spiking at all the next pull, just by swapping a healer, as recently as yesterday. I'm not saying it is healers in your case, but it is something to keep in mind. On a fight like assault, dps can definitely kill tanks by focusing the wrong targets, and some people will blame the tank for dying.

Link the logs and we can go over them with a fine tooth comb and get you a good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    external healing required per second to sustain
    Please never evaluate a tank based on this since a group with a Holy Pal and Disc priest whoring the meters can easily skew it.

Active mitigation uptime(and if they need to save it for next thing account for that in lower up times), making sure their AM is up when insert big damage ability hits, making sure they use their CDs when needed. If applicable making sure they are using their clutch heals when they drop low(BRM and Protadin should be able to top their selves back up from sub 50% before a healer can cast a heal on them.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    On encounters where you have 100% tank time and know block must be maintained, then the block buff uptime would be useful to look at too and % of blocks less useful, such as on HFA where there's a huge volume of attacks at all times and when block is down so block % value could drop to 60% even with perfect block uptime
    You can look at uptime only while actively tanking bruh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksel View Post
    I have noticed that bad healers can make an ok tank look bad. I have experienced extreme differences on my monk, going from being spiky as hell, to hardly spiking at all the next pull, just by swapping a healer, as recently as yesterday. I'm not saying it is healers in your case, but it is something to keep in mind. On a fight like assault, dps can definitely kill tanks by focusing the wrong targets, and some people will blame the tank for dying.
    If a brewmaster dies on assault and they have the proper gear level for the fight idc how bad their dps or healers are they should delete their brewmaster. The berserker damage is laughably predictable and easily self sustainable even at massive stacks on mythic. Hell the last 4 fights on Mythic are the only ones with any type of damage even remotely dangerous to brewmasters and Man is the only one where it is consistent. Xhul/Tyrant/Archi mythic are all only dangerous in a few spots in the fight which CDs blanket if done properly.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-11-26 at 09:20 PM.