10+ Year Old Account

Can my computer run wow?

I don't know if this is the right place, but i figured id try here. I got a computer a while back and was considering trying wow again. I know my computer isn't very powerful (its an all in one PC meant mostly for managing files and word processing) but i figured maybe i would check. Since i have no clue how to tell if a processor is strong enough or not i figured i'd ask here to see what everyone says. Thanks all!

Processor Type: Intel® Pentium® N3530
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    Intel® HD Graphics (built in card, thinking this may be the problem)

For what its worth i had tried playing Civ 5 and it ran on medium-low settings

Thanks!

It would run WoW, but even at low details you would get low FPS. With part of RAM being reserved for GPU you would also have issues with memory swapping slowing the game even more. I don't think raiding would be viable at all.
    Last edited by procne; 2015-11-26 at 01:46 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Monk Phenomenon

Wow isn't a GPU whore its mostly CPU. So with that said you should be able to run WoW on fair settings at lease and still be able to raid. I wouldn't recommend any higher.

One thing you could do is play the free trial and see how it runs. If you can get decent fps in org or stormwind you should be able to raid at ok settings/fps.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-11-26 at 02:15 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info! i dont really plan on raiding since i would only really hop on every now and then. Would more likely PVP. How would i fare in battlegrounds and during the regular questing experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Wow isn't a GPU whore its mostly CPU. So with that said you should be able to run WoW on fair settings at lease and still be able to raid. I wouldn't recommend any higher.

One thing you could do is play the free trial and see how it runs. If you can get decent fps in org or stormwind you should be able to raid at ok settings/fps.

Can't remember if ur CPU is a duel core or Single. if its a single then I am wrong and you will be running at low settings and won't be able to raid at all.

I had a old AMD single core back in cata for awhile and I could do anything outside of raiding just fine at low settings. If I went into LFR I tanked to 1fps.
    I strongly doubt that. N3530 has 4 cores. But its single core performance is pretty weak.

In Cataclysm I used to play on a laptop with Core 2 Duo T6600 which apparently is better in single thread processing than N3530 (just had a quick look at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html, so feel free to question the comparison). I was having a hard time - I could quest etc., but in raids it was really rough. And that was 4 years ago - since then WoW has become slightly more demanding.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I strongly doubt that. N3530 has 4 cores. But its single core performance is pretty weak.

In Cataclysm I used to play on a laptop with Core 2 Duo T6600 which apparently is better in single thread processing than N3530 (just had a quick look at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html, so feel free to question the comparison). I was having a hard time - I could quest etc., but in raids it was really rough. And that was 4 years ago - since then WoW has become slightly more demanding.
    Wow has become more demanding on the high end yes. But the low end has stayed the same for ages. I was wrong and its a 4core so back to what I originally said he should be able to run it on fair with stable playable fps (25-30fps)

If there is issues then he can turn off a couple settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Problems View Post
    Thanks for the info! i dont really plan on raiding since i would only really hop on every now and then. Would more likely PVP. How would i fare in battlegrounds and during the regular questing experience?
    You should be ok like I said make a free acount and do some BG's.

You should be able to run it on fair with shadows/lquid on low or off if you can. Don't expect higher then 30fps and don't expect to be able to run many other things alongside it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Im no expert at computers, but im sure almost any computer can run WoW, even if you have to use low settings.

Pro-tip: Set liquid detail to low. It gives a major boost to your FPS even when not near water.

Wow has become more demanding on the high end yes. But the low end has stayed the same for ages
    Not really. More complex models

I played AND raided (well, only karazhan) in TBC on a laptop with 1 GB RAM and an Intel Celeron CPU with integrated graphics
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to run WoW at all now, hehe.
    After 4 years the laptop with T6600 and 4 GB of RAM ran only slightly better.

WoW, like most of the games, does not make a good use of extra cores, and single core performance is the most important thing.
    Well, I guess only the OP can tell us how would the game work, after he tries.

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    Im no expert at computers, but im sure almost any computer can run WoW, even if you have to use low settings.
    Careful
    http://kotaku.com/world-of-warcraft-...-lo-1638506551

Not really. More complex models

I played AND raided (well, only karazhan) in TBC on a laptop with 1 GB RAM and an Intel Celeron CPU with integrated graphics
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to run WoW at all now, hehe.
    After 4 years the laptop with T6600 and 4 GB of RAM ran only slightly better.

WoW, like most of the games, does not make a good use of extra cores, and single core performance is the most important thing.
    Well, I guess only the OP can tell us how would the game work, after he tries.
    As someone who runs Wow on linux (Thanks to WINE/PlayOnLinux) I mite as well be playing it on your old laptop when it comes to raiding lol.

Your latop would be able to run it but as for doing raids good chance thats a no or barely. That is just because there is more going on now in WOD then back in TBC and more effects going off. You can turn alot of it down to the point where you barely see it like I have to when I do NM raiding.

If he just wants to quest do 5mans and all he shouldn't have too much of a problem. But if he wants to do large scale pvp and raiding then good chance he will have to tank the settings. Like I said the low end of WoW hasn't really changed much hell you can still run it on DX9 and what not. But the high end has changed alot.

This is one reason why I am happy there is two graphic settings for WoW.

As someone who runs Wow on linux (Thanks to WINE/PlayOnLinux) I mite as well be playing it on your old laptop when it comes to raiding lol.
    Nope, you might not. Even if the game allowed it to run (despite minimum 2GB RAM requirement), mem swapping would kill any fps ^^
    I might check my Cataclysm laptop purely out of curiosity though ^^

Play the free trial and make a character on a High pop server and hang out there during peak hours and see what kind of fps you get on various settings.

Also things like shadows and lighting effects you would want to turn down.

Nope, you might not. Even if the game allowed it to run (despite minimum 2GB RAM requirement), mem swapping would kill any fps ^^
    I might check my Cataclysm laptop purely out of curiosity though ^^
    True at lease OP has 4gig